Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Inbred Slot dropouts and Chaintugs – How to set up please?
  • MrTall
    Free Member

Just bought my first slot dropout bike (Inbred 29er) and all the gubbins required to make it work (singlespeed initially – maybe Alfine later when the 11sp one comes out).

My understanding is that i push the back wheel as far forward as possible in the dropout and then take links out the chain to make it as short as possible. I then pull the wheel back to tension the chain and do up the QR and tighten the bolts in the chain tug against the dropout?

BUT – once i've done all this the bolts in the chain tug don't touch the dropouts (unless i take the little nuts off them). Have i done something wrong or have i just happened to pick an odd gearing combo (34×21) that is making the chain exactly wrong for the length of the rear stays?

At the moment the chain tug is on but is not doing what it is supposed to do and i assume the QR will move forward under load once ridden (headset not yet fitted so just trying all this on the workstand at the moment). If it is relevant, the QR is positioned near as damn it in the centre of the sliding dropout once the chain is tensioned.

Any help or advice appreciated, cheers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

push the back wheel as far forward as possible in the dropout

No need for this.

wwaswas

you're aiming to acheive something along these lines when you've finished.

thomthumb
    Free Member

aah your first mistake was buying the on-one chain tug.

your second mistake was expecting it to work!!

sounds like your technique is good. you could try adding 1 link and setting up again and seeing where that leaves you. or buy a better tug. surly ones are good.

Jerome
    Free Member

Yep sound like you need to add a link back into the chain.
    If you push wheel right forward there will be no mud clearance and while bike may climb better may handle funny going downhill ??

Clink

aah your first mistake was buying the on-one chain tug.

your second mistake was expecting it to work!!

Not sure what you're on about – mine have worked fine for over a year with no problems.

thomthumb
    Free Member

they don't work for the length of the drop out as described above. imo – not good enough.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

it's the on-one chain tug. the screws are not long enought for some gear ratios i think . i had one for a bit, then bought a surly tuggnut. no problems since. (and it looks better)

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Set it up and ride it for a few hard single speed rides. Then mess about with it, the chain will have grown nearly a link! The tug will be ok then. I would set the tug in the middle of the drop out if I was doing it to start off with. No point adding a link now though.

tonyg2003

The Afline has big axle bolts. Just tighten them up with a good spanner and no need for a chain tug 🙂

ds3000
    Free Member

Changing the subject slightly, does anyone know how I would convert my current QR setup to a bolt-on?

wwaswas

depends on the hub but if it's possible it's likely to be a new axle at least.

ds3000
    Free Member

Its a DMR Revolver, just standard QR diameter.

MrTall
    Free Member

If i add another link to the chain then the QR will be right at the back of the dropout which i assume is not ideal?

I like the look of the Surly one which despite it being £18 (On One was £6) i may well get anyway seeing as my Paypal currently has £19 in it. 🙂

Hopefully it'll fit a bit better and solve the problem.

Thanks for the input chaps, much appreciated.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

You can get an axle for a DMR revolver hub that takes bolts.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Inbred with alfine set up: The MKS tugs work really well.

mboy
    Free Member

Duggie

Where did you get that Chain Tensioner for the Alfine for? Did you make it? And if so, did you make any more, or have any plans to? Just bought a Steel Inbred 29er myself and fitting an Alfine to it, wondering what the best solution of chain tension and still stopping the axle spinning is, and yours looks like the best solution I've seen!

MrTall, buy an 8spd Alfine now, it's way better than SS… Then get an 11spd one when they come out, and sell the 8spd one for almost the same price as you paid for it!

Chris-S
    Free Member

I have exactly the same problem

For each gear I have a seperate chain, but even that still meant removing the chaintug nuts on one of the gears.

The best way to sort it is to source a suitable half link for the chain or just get a half link chain.

ds3000
    Free Member

seth-enslow666 – Thanks

takisawa2

I'm running one of THESE.
    Seems ok so far.
    Not had to fiddle with my On-One tugs too much since assembling.

ononeorange

Hi Seth – I'm still riding that s/s Inbred you sold me – it's going well mate.

James

Clink

Where did you get that Chain Tensioner for the Alfine for

Presume these ones (available lots of places)

http://www.hubjub.co.uk/mks/mks.htm

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Inbred Slot dropouts and Chaintugs – How to set up please?’ is closed to new replies.