Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Inbred owners… Front mech problem
  • MartynS

853 inbred.. Was running Deore top pull front mech with an SRAM x5 doing the shifting.
    Changed the shifters to Deore, changing cables at the same time. The front mech is now near impossible to move, it had got a little stiff with the SRAM, I put that down to old cables…

So it’s this mech I have..
    HERE

Is it the right one?? The cable comes out the stop at an angle and I can only think it’s this that’s causing some binding or friction that the SRAM shifter didn’t seem affected by

Any ideas or thoughts gratefully received!!

khani
    Free Member

Check the routing, on some mechs the cable doesn’t come straight down to the fixing bolt, it goes under the boomerang bit and bolts to the clamp from underneath.
    If it definitely comes straight down make sure it’s attached to the correct side of the bolt, there should be a little groove that shows where it goes..

MartynS

Thanks, I’ll have a look…
    I’ve routed it as it was, so I don’t understand why the SRAM shifter worked fine and the shimano doesn’t.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coatesy
    Free Member

Cable should run outside of the lug on the arm, and under the bolt on that type of mech, running it inside the lug will alter the pull ratio.

MartynS

Just had another look at this… If I run the cable under, and around the arm it reverses the shifter. It becomes high normal if you know what I mean.

Should it be this difficult!!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can you move the mech by hand ok?

IHN

Nope. Shimano and SRAM front shifters are the same. The SRAM shift lever might be a gnat’s longer, meaning it’s easier to push, but that’s it.

Are you sure it’s not the mech that’s stiff?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s one of two things:

1) Damaged mech not working properly

2) Cable routing.

My money is on cable routing. Check Shimano Techdocs here
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/SI_6S80A/SI-6S80A-003-ENG_v1_m56577569830729252.PDF
    Cable routing diagrams are top right
    The bottom right of the 4 diagrams is (I have an 853 Inbred) how your cable should be routed. MAKE SURE the cable goes round the OUTSIDE of that little metal protrusion as if it doesn’t, the leverage ratio is wrong and gives the symptoms you describe.

Also, are you sure the cable is properly seated in the shifter? Check that too. 🙂

rhid

I am with the OP on this as I have never had any success with the conventional front mechs (like the OPs) on my 456, blue pig or my GF’s inbred! I never knew that side on which the cable attacted to made so much difference!

Also as slight aside but very much related to the conventional mech on these frames – The shifting into the granny ring has always been terible on this frame – mech combo. BB spacing as been the same on all frames but I can never get the mech to shift into the granny ring comfortably. Its like the mech is spaced too far out to allow the mech plate to move the chain into the granny ring even with no cable tension…..Do you understand what I mean….?

Anyone else have this issue and how have they solved it? I have 2 unused conventional mechs not doing anything after buying them and not being able to get them to work!

somouk
    Free Member

I fitted a mech to an inbred frame I picked up the other day and it’s working fine, done about 20 mile on it so far with no issues.

Quite literally just lined it up, bolted it tight and ran the cable from the shifter to the mech, didn’t need to adjust anything.

It was this one I had http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-m785-top-swing-2×10-front-mech/rp-prod69484

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I am with the OP on this as I have never had any success with the conventional front mechs (like the OPs) on my 456, blue pig or my GF’s inbred!

Hmmm. That’s odd.

I never knew that side on which the cable attacted to made so much difference!

But that explains it…..

rhid

Would that explain the spacing issue too then?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes, quite possibly. If the leverage ratio is wrong the mech won’t move far enough in either direction, so get it OK in the middle + big rings and it’ll not have enough movement to go to granny ring.
    Incorrectly routed cable is pretty much the number one cause I see with front mech problems. For rear mechs number one is bent gear hangers, by the way, followed by seized pivot bolts. 🙂

MartynS

Peter, you’re a genius!!

All working now, cable clamped correctly. I’m amazed it makes such a difference, but it does!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Inbred owners… Front mech problem’ is closed to new replies.