Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Inbred or 456?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I might get a new frame soon and it would probably be one of the above. The Inbred is a little lighter but other than that what’s the difference? I’d probably use my FS bike for bigger hit kind of riding and plan to fit 120mm forks to whatever it is a get.

Which bike would feel nicest with 120mm forks and has anyone run the Inbred with longer forks? It say’s on the on one site that they’ve seen them run with 140mm forks. I’m thinking it might be best to go for the 456 if I want to beef things up a bit but the Inbred might be nicer to ride?

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I just noticed the 456 is slacker. Would the Inbred still be slack enough for most stuff with 120mm forks on it? Cheers.

takisawa2

The Inbred rides spot on with 120mm forks, & is capable of a lot more than its spindly looks & price tag would suggest. If money were tight I’d be more than happy on a 120mm equipped Inbred.

I’d still be on mine but I prefer the 29er version I have now even more.

Saccades
    Free Member

had an inbred at 125mm (it was an older 100mm corrected frame), used to ride it with a 50mm headset to compensate the steering a bit.

I’m hefty and I did ~2′ jumps on it and it survived no bother. coupla dents from dropping it but fine.

I then got a 456 ebb to which I swopped ~50% of the parts from the inbred. I run the 456 at 150mm with the same short stem (other differences are alfine hub and UST wheels).

Now only doing ~1′ jumps/drops on it because I’m worried about the alfine axle, but still doing proper xc and trail centres with no bother. 456 feels more planted (arse heavier?) and is heavier to lift but it’s 32lb where as the inbred was 28/29lb.

I do need to sit a bit further forward on steep bits on the 456 to keep my balance right with the longer fork but it’s a thing of nothing tbh.

From threads I have read the inbred is sweet at 120 and the 456 at 140mm. I’ve never really given it a moments thought.

CheesybeanZ

inbred runs great at 120mm as does the 456 , 456 is slacker so gives a more confident feel on the downs .
    can you stretch to £349.00 and get the pipedream sirius ? the extre £s gets you 853 tubing and sliding dropouts and a better ride ,imho.
    http://www.pipedreamcycles.com/sirius_2010.html

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. That Sirius looks nice but a bit out of my budget really cheesy but thanks for the info. The hardtail would be used for commuting and more xc/trail centre stuff and to take a bit of stress off the big bike.

I’m leaning towards the Inbred but am wondering about size. I’m 6′ 2″ with 33″ legs. Large or X Large? It looks like I’m a bit between sizes as usual but prefer a bike a bit on the small side than big side.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Inbred or 456?’ is closed to new replies.