Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Inbred and back pain
  • doglover
    Free Member

Afternoon

I’ve a 16″ inbred and I keep getting lower back pain, I’ve got the saddle pretty far forward and flat plus just fitted a 70mm stem. I’m 5’10 so the seatpost is v.high. My old 90’s 18″ Kona Fire Mountain has a short tt, more comfortable and easier to put the power on.

Sounds obvious but do you reckon my back pain’s purely down to the inbred’s long top tube or is the frame simply too small ??

doglover

nickc

Too small, I used an 18″ and I’m also 5’10”. Also, if you’ve got the saddle pushed forward, this is going to make the small “cockpit” even smaller, no?

doglover
    Free Member

Had thought the long tt was causing back pain so pushed saddle forward to compensate, guess I need to get a bigger frame.

GavinT
    Free Member

Yeah , 5′ 10″ is pushing it a bit for a 16″ inbred. Probably fine if it’s a playing around on bike but not going to be ideal for longer efforts.

doglover
    Free Member

Ok cheers

MrBlond
    Free Member

I’m 5’10 and have a 16″ Inbred, 75mm stem, seat back on the rails a bit and it’s spot on.

Had an 18″ Inbred that felt like a gate before this though – not convinced you want the size up – I’d try one first.

doglover
    Free Member

Yep that’s good advice, will do.

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

again 5″10 and loving the 16″ 456

twohats
    Free Member

Lower back pain also suggests that might need to strengthen your lower back muscles!

doglover
    Free Member

Fair point, haven’t much riding in recent months plus have a desk job that doesn’t help. Tempted to get fitted properly by a professional – plus another good excuse to buy new bits/frame!

ski
    Free Member

Yep, I am 5-10″ on a good day, had both a 18″ geared and 16″ SS Inbred for a while, I sold the 18″ in the end and kept the 16″.

For all day simple trails, the 18″ was fine, but the 16″ feels some much more fun on the trickier, tighter stuff.

BTW, similar set-up as Mrblond, seat back on the rails a bit, 80mm onone stem.

smokey_jo

Got a 16″ slidey and am 5’7″. 75mm stem inline post forward on rails and a good stack of headset spacers on a 130mm fork. Seatpost is a long way out and I don’t find it easy to loft the front compared to other bikes, but blimey is it stable through rock gardens.

Only back pain I get is when I’ve been lifting it over stiles alot 🙂

nukeproof
    Free Member

I’ve got the saddle pretty far forward and flat plus just fitted a 70mm stem

Bit confused here as your saying you think you need a bigger frame then say you put a short stem and moved the saddle forward.

fwiw I’m 5’9″ and on a 16″…90mm stem, layback seatpost. Fits well.

I did get lower back pain but found that reducing the height of the front (low stack height steerer, low risers) and getting the weight slightly more on the the arms (and therefore the front suspension), it took some of the weight off my rear reducing long distance back pain.

TooTall
    Free Member

You need to get your workplace looked at – a proper assessment of the desk, chair etc. It is all related.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Inbred and back pain’ is closed to new replies.