Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 270 total)
  • in what circumstances would TJ et al be re-admitted?
  • Pook

what would it take for them to be allowed back?

grantmccall63
    Free Member

Gave TJ a lift back from Glentress one night a few years back and had a good chat.

Have been away from the forums for a while so missed what seems to have been a falling out. Is the demise of Wednesday ride in Pentlands related ? Hope not.

Nothing wrong with a good argument but appreciate I may have missed stuff. He was always good value on a Wednesday evening !

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Its because of the demise of the pentlands.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chewkw
    Free Member

I like TJ so bringing him back is fine with me.

I like the way he presented his perspectives.

However, deep down all of you know that I am right and that all of you should bow down to me as your Dear Leader.

:mrgreen:

Northwind

Yeah, I only rode the pentlands because they were a fetid boring swamp, now that it’s all buff dusty high speed singletrack I cannot be bothered.

(I think the reason for the (temporary) demise of the pentlands rides was originally when Mark was out of action and not organising them, leading into a very bad winter, then Thebikechain closing, which took away some of the focus- they weren’t shop rides but that was where the core usually came from)

But hey, the hills are still there and I understand there will be a wednesday next week…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Can’t come, but it sounds nice.

RustySpanner

I miss Barnes.
    His delight in dragging threads way off tangent.
    And his sheer bloody mindedness.

I do miss TJ, who’s a genuinely decent bloke.
    I’d like to see him back.

I miss Fred too, most of the time.

Yes, this place no longer has the feel it used to have, but neither does it have the 8 page, ego-fuelled, toys out the pram, joysucking tossfests of yore.

CBA reading 6 pages at 5.19am, but….

….as a notably antagonistic poster at times, I’ve flirted with the banhammer on a few occassions (seem to have managed to behave myself of late) and have had many a spat with TJ & Fred.

It is a more peaceful place without them, but I had nothing against either of them and wouldn’t mind them coming back. Maybe I wouldn’t escape the cull were they here though….

bullheart
    Free Member

I miss Barnes.
    His delight in dragging threads way off tangent.
    And his sheer bloody mindedness.

I do miss TJ, who’s a genuinely decent bloke.
    I’d like to see him back.

I miss Fred too, most of the time.

As above. But things change, whether we like it or not. Things are of their time. Mark will always run the forum the way he wants to, despite the protestations of free-minded individuals or ‘nut-jobs’ that it’s their forum…

Regardless, it feels very dull, albeit with the occasional smattering of (homo) erotic posts that are a little ‘close to the bone’.

Pun intended.

rOcKeTdOg

I think, after what was said to Mark by one of the banned that there’s no chance of him being let back in

surfer
    Free Member

I am indifferent and had no real problem with either of them. I seldom got into debates with TJ but a few with Fred who wasnt averse to getting a bit nasty but that didnt really bother me and this is the only forum I use regularly because it is still very civil and mostly grown up 😯
    Both of them simply argued people into paralysis though.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

FWIW the forum is a much tamer place since the cull. It’s still ok, but less interesting and less opportunity to reflect upon and reconsider long held views. The kind of things the old folks used to jump on, closed down some kinds of discussions but opened others up. The current regime does the same thing. There are a number of topics which don’t get much of an airing because the critical mass is against them, yet there are other views which are allowed to flourish because there are not enough people here to argue that they are unacceptable. It’s different and the edge has gone a bit and the voice of the people has gone a bit and we all selffcensor a bit.

andytherocketeer

So how long before the next “why was TJ banned thread”? I give it a week. Getting a bit tiring tbh.

People even complained at me, say I won’t be remembered as a big hitter unlike TJ. So frickin’ what! I don’t want to be remembered as the argumentative guy who just didn’t know when to shut up, even after previous bans. Or as one of the persistent baiters.

I’m here to read about bike stuff, ask bike questions, answer bike questions, find places to ride…

Place is much better since the cull. Apart from the weekly, where’s TJ? (Stick it in the forum FAQ – he’s been gone for ages and won’t be back for long time yet)

pingu66
    Free Member

I find it weird that its still brought up. I think it was around the time I started here reasonably regularly but a forum is like a community but owned and managed by STW and the mods.

I like the forum, with or without TJ et al. I would ask does TJ want to come back, if so he needs to make his peace with the mods and understand the rules, as applied by the mods.

I think we can all fall foul of the rules at times as there is little context but I think it must be a year now since the bans.

Posters get it wrong as do the mods on occasion I am sure but I think they are fair and have changed decisions in the past where they have been given bad information, equally shorter bans. The community needs to move on, or perhaps vote! But its not our forum, ok we make it work but some will go new members will come along life goes on.

I do disagree with the whole concept of big hitters though. ig hitter in an internet forum WOW thats great!

FeeFoo
    Free Member

It’s different and the edge has gone a bit and the voice of the people has gone a bit and we all selffcensor a bit.

This.

It makes the place much duller than it once was.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I do disagree with the whole concept of big hitters though. ig hitter in an internet forum WOW thats great!

It was never used as a term of endearment and it was term of abuse rather than of respect.
    Like the “edinburgh defence” it was a name calling exercise.
    Not saying there was not a point to Big Hitter and some irony when cynicAl used it but it was essentially a way to be rude about folk you disagreed with either in content or posting volume [ though of course they were the baddies]

I also agree it is all a bit duller these days but that is what the mods want – ie a quiet life for them and less complaints

The site is still getting new members/more visits so i doubt they are worried at STW towers.

anagallis_arvensis

I’m here to read about bike stuff, ask bike questions, answer bike questions, find places to ride…

There’s a forum for that very near here!

scotroutes

FWIW, I’m one of those that started to avoid the interminable TJ & Elfinsafety threads. It was never worth responding to them once either had chipped in. If a few other folk felt the same way then they were hardly acting as a spur to mass participation. For those that still miss that form of discussion, why not fly across to Belfast and start discussing religion in a pub.Take a flute for when it gets quieter.

pingu66
    Free Member

Ah Junky, maybe the irony was lost on me.

But thats why I like it here, most if not all will explain stuff. I like everyone here and the variety of posts. Sometimes informative, amusing, heart wrenching, we get it all. Sometime the real humanity of the folk on here comes out which is fantastic to see as it helps restore a little of my faith in humanity.

And it is ran pretty well.

Harry_the_Spider

[deleted]

zokes
    Free Member

I’d strongly suggest not reading or commenting on a thread that’s clearly discussing a topic you find tiring, in a forum that’s not a bike forum then. This is quite good for bike stuff though, or so I’ve heard.

Woody
    Free Member

It’s different and the edge has gone a bit and the voice of the people has gone a bit and we all selffcensor a bit.

True and there are many factors involved, not least that many contributors are now considerably older (and wiser?) than when they were first here.

I think it now represents a more ‘balanced’ point of view, and I for one, much prefer the fact that more people appear willing to post without the inevitable sneering self-righteous responses guaranteed by one or two of the banned, which must have put many off and given the impression that it was a very cliquey unfriendly environment, which it most definitely is not!

Long may STW continue and evolve 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

^^^ You can say that again!

scotroutes

and again

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Triple fap.. 😛

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

My ironometer just crashed!

Sneaky edit there iolo? Not prepared to stand by your words?

iolo
    Free Member

I”m sick so going nowhere today

iolo
    Free Member

no edit by me

zippykona

Does anyone know the people in question,are they the same in real life?
    I hope for their families sake they aren’t.

iolo
    Free Member

Mods due to trying to bypass swear filter
    I stand by my words.
    I said

“Who cares if they stay or not.
    Your house has a portal
    Its called the front door
    Use it and you cant meet actual people.”

or words to that effect.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Iolo, i can see that. I wonder what it was? Perhaps the powers that be don’t want folks to,realise that the front door is an option!! Tin foil hats ahoy!

scotroutes

I know TJ outside of the forum. He’s pretty much just the same. The difference is that the normal flow of conversation in a face-to-face situation tends to mean that you just move on to another subject. It’s the compartmentalised nature of forum threads that causes the issue. Imagine if there was only one massive thread on STW, things like helmet debates, politics etc would survive for a wee while but would soon be overtaken by other topics and you’d look a bit of an arse replying to something someone wrote 3 hours ago just because you’d only just logged on.

loum
    Free Member

TJ was one of the most helpful contributors on the bike forum.
    Vast wealth of knowledge, and the kindness to share it.
    And one of the most interesting and amusing contributors to the ongoing rugby threads. IMO, it’s a poorer site without him.

On the chat forum, some agreed with him but towards the end, more probably disagreed. Maybe that’s the changing demographics of the sport?
    There were certainly more political debates a year or two ago, and it was also clear that those that run the site were firmly in the opposite political camp to him.
    IMO, people remember others that they disagree with. I’m not saying they held a grudge, but it would have been far harder for them to not notice a debater that they disagreed with, than if they’d been of similar ideals. Maybe he should have realised this and self-censored earlier? But that’s a whole different debate.
    The mods certainly like to join in, or even start debates here. After what happened to TJ it makes one think twice before engaging with them now.

mt
    Free Member

Valid points from scotroutes. TJ fine face to face, good value to discuss and disagree with, fun on a ride and friendly. When he starts going off on one a polite “shut it or your wrong so leave it” worked fine. Not sure that coming back on here would be a good thing (for him or his partner).

anagallis_arvensis

I’d strongly suggest not reading or commenting on a thread that’s clearly discussing a topic you find tiring, in a forum that’s not a bike forum then. This is quite good for bike stuff though, or so I’ve heard.

Zokes just agreed with me, I feel dirty….

CountZero

Not sure I entirely agree with that; possibly self-censor regarding the more extreme views, political or otherwise, but the swear-filter issue has lightened up considerably, meaning people can generally speak just like they do in meat-space, which I feel leads to a more relaxed atmosphere generally speaking, but even strong political views appear to be given largely free-reign, so long as there’s no overt abuse being dished out to those who disagree with points being made, like the Faslane thread. FWIW, I like the chat forum as it is now, there still seems to be a nice wide variety of subjects being posted, and lots of different contributors. Long may it last, I’d certainly like to be here in another ten years. 😀

zokes
    Free Member

Zokes just agreed with me, I feel dirty….

We actually agree on lots of things, you’re just usually too full of misplaced vitriol to notice. Which is a pity.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is a lot of this going on 🙂
    It’s a lot better now threads don’t get hijacked and derailed into 2 or 3 people arguing that black is white vs white is black and dumping 30 pages of opposing papers in an attempt to be the winner before resorting to name calling and flouncing off.

Kevevs
    Free Member

well I suppose I’m abit old being here from 2006 but I joined when Elf joined and it was all fun and banter and pisstaking when we came on here, and it got more and more serious, and partly cos Elf can be serious too, he hates any kind of social injustice, for instance.. and won’t shut up if he thinks he’s right about it. Personally, I have no probs with Elf or TJ, they just bring more human quirkiness to the forum. the more of a bonkers range of cyclists (and some cyclists are bonkers.. you have met some right?) The better I think. This is a forum for cyclists who by definition are a bit not of the usual status quo. But, yep, we hve to moderate our behaviour to remain in that status quo I guess. This thing in a business not a hippie commune! whoo

bigG
    Free Member

I’ve been on holiday for two weeks, can someone summarise anything useful from the last seven pages please? Or is it the usual handwringing without any real point?

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 270 total)

The topic ‘in what circumstances would TJ et al be re-admitted?’ is closed to new replies.