Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • In the North — long, wild(ish), winter-proof, non-technical?
  • legometeorology
    Free Member

I’m looking to get out on some big rides with my partner, who is very new to MTB but strong and fit; like capable of 100 mile hilly days on a road bike.

We are both mountainy-people, so a bit of wilderness (as much as that term is meaningful in the UK) would be nice, too.

So this leaves me looking for long (like 30-50 mile), wild and non-technical trails that survive winter well. We don’t mind a bit of road to link the best bits up.

I’ve found a few nearish Leeds where we live — i.e. the Dales, NYMs, Lakes — including Salter Fell, Cam High Road, the maze of double tracks up around Nidderdale, Grizedale forest… but are there any other classics around anyone can recommend?

Thanks 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That’s moon on a stick stuff your asking for there !

whitestone
    Free Member

Most of the tracks around Swaledale are reasonably weather proof, obviously a couple of metres of snow might slow you down!

Stu at Dales Bike Centre near Reeth should be able to give you detailed info, he sells route maps, but for starters this is a variation on one of the classic local loops.

From DBC head up Fremington Edge and over to Hurst. Turn left and head over to Storthwaite Hall (mildly tech section through the quarries) then Langthwaite. A bit of road to get to the BW onto Reeth Low Moor which takes you to the track up onto Great Pinseat. Over this then turn R at the junction at Level House. Here you can either head over to Gunnerside Gill (very technical descent) or after a little while turn L and head south over the moor. In either case you are looking at getting to the wonderfully named Barf End. There’s now a BW descent to Gunnerside (pub here for mid ride refreshments).

If you want a longer ride then take the minor road west from Gunnerside to follow the Swale round to Keld then come back up and over the hill of Kisdon to Muker. Back down the road to Gunnerside.

Either take the permissive BW by the river to Robson and climb to Crackpot or take the minor road directly. Road to Summer Lodge then BW up to higher road. Turn left and down this road until there’s a BW on right. Climb onto the moor when you can either head over to Apedale or turn left and contour around the fell side to Harkerside and then back to DBC. If you choose Apedale, turn left at the crossroads at the bottom and climb back over to Harkerside and down to DBC.

If none of the above names mean anything to you then either get a map (always advised) or follow it on Streetmap.co.uk.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martinhutch

Have a look at the Pennine Bridleway – From Leeds, you could basically choose your distance and use the Settle/Carlisle train line to fill in the gaps.

I generally go south to north, and Settle to Kirkby Stephen works out just over 40 miles, but you could easily make that longer/shorter depending on requirements – there are about three or four handily placed stations. Skipton to KS is about 65 miles and a bigger day out. The bulk of the trails are hardpack or well-drained.

The train line also lets you bail if you have a mechanical or are making slow progress.

rone

Pennine B/W is good shout.

Get someone to drop you off the start in Cromford.

It does have hard bits though even though it’s an easy start.

martinhutch

Mary Townley Loop may well fit your requirements as well. Though I’ve never ridden it in bad conditions, and it does flit in and out of more populated areas.

ton

i have a 100 mile route, from Kirkby Stephen, back to Leeds.
    will make a cracking 2 day ride, with night out near a nice pub in Malham.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Most of my rides are in the Dales, riding from home.

https://m.strava.com/athletes/16778188

I’d probably recommend every one.

C

RustySpanner

Starting at Hurstwood trails just outside Burnley.

Have a couple of goes at the lovely Rowan Sorrell designed singletrack, then head up past Husrtwood Res and turn right onto Gorple Road at the top.

Follow this rough BW down to the tarmac road, then jink onto the track/road over to Shackleton and Hardcastle Craggs.

Down to Hebden for lunch then you have a choice of either side of the valley or the canal past the STW offices back to Burnley.

The STW lot or Blazing Saddles in Hebden will help with detailed route finding, or drop me a pm, it’s been a long day.
    Great, non techy day out.

strangey13
    Free Member

If you don’t mind a drive Yorkshire Cycle Hub is open now up on the North York Moors. Think they give you some nice loops and I’ve heard the cafe is good.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips 🙂

Swaledale and Pennine Bridleway look particularly attractive — especially the option of a train and A to B ride with the latter

If the snow comes back this is temporarily solved anyway, as even my doorstep rides become fabulous 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘In the North — long, wild(ish), winter-proof, non-technical?’ is closed to new replies.