Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • In the mud- what tire width?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

what width do you usually run and what would you change too for a muddy ride? (if at all)

njee20
    Free Member

Depends on the type of mud. General wet sloppy stuff I tend to use a 2" Mud X, but wouldn't bother to change if I had something like Ralphs or Nics on, unless it was a race.

If it's really sticky SITS/MM style mud it's got to be 1.5" Schwalbe Black Sharks.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

in about october / november i will fit my 2" mud x's for all my local riding. in about april ish they will be swapped for ACXs. both tubeless.

really depends on the type of mud – no tyre will cope with riding across a new bridleway in a clay mud field ( as i rediscovered last winter).

EDIT – tubeless seems good too as made them thorn proof and also allowed lower pressure for more grip and as soft they flex which pops the mud out and reduces clogging in my experience

avdave2

I put 2" Mud X on for last winter and was really impressed. On a 6 mile ride to work in the worst conditions I was having to stop 4 or 5 times to clear the bike with XC pros on. The wheels just stopped turning and the extra weight was huge. I was struggling to achieve walking pace on the flat at times. No problems once I changed tyres though and a hell of a lot more grip.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Not really a fair comparison as XC pros are quite poor when it's really claggy because there isn't much gap between the teeth – it's an all-round tyre.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘In the mud- what tire width?’ is closed to new replies.