Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • "In the moment"
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

do you crave it?

to live “in the moment”, to not be thinking “what about that thing” or “that thing” and rather experience a kind of existentialist singularity.

It is a common finding within addicts, a craving for a similar “altered self” state, but there are two sides to this coin…

How do I achieve it?

Various ways,

the positive: Playing live, Songwriting, Painting, Photography, work and of course, riding my bike.

the negative: binge consumption.

My understanding of this marked a beneficial change in the way I was living, I found that the biggest “highs” were actually whilst being sober and whilst playing live music to a packed bar is many things; terrifying, calming, exciting, real its also a bit trickey, you need to concentrate, you need that focus…

So I’m hooked on living, I’ve confronted my demons, my faith and now its all about building a sustainable and successful future.

But as importantly, I’m also driven by my need to experience this aforementioned “existentialist singularity” and thats all positive. What’s more, on a lighter note, they still haven’t found the bodies.

When did you last experience being completely “In the moment”??

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Stop smoking the skunk.

organic355
    Free Member

can you say that again?, didn’t catch it the 1st time.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kevevs
    Free Member

Had a w*** this morning.

philconsequence
    Free Member

riding the bike, not thinking about work, mrsconsequence, recently deceased family members and so on, just about the fact i’m loving being on a bike, in the woods. would’ve felt the same snowboarding but spent the whole time thinking about what i was filming and sacrificed a lot of fun riding to ride behind other people and follow them with the camera.

kimbers

i just pulled a large and juicy bogey from my nose
    it was a truly satisfying experience

organic355
    Free Member

i just pulled a large and juicy bogey from my nose
    it was a truly satisfying experience

How’d it taste?

MrNutt
    Free Member

Actually this thread wasn’t brought to you by some drug induced state,

rather I watched Simon Anstell’s DVD and he goes on about this being “in the moment” thing a fair bit…

kimbers

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooODVEDFOMk[/video]

Harry_the_Spider

If I was watching a Simon Anstell DVD I’d want to be putting myself in a drug induced state.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

WTF is a Simon Anstell?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I might also point out that aforementioned DVD does come in a sleeve that could potentially herald the return of album art for bands. that is all.

roper
    Free Member

to live “in the moment”, to not be thinking “what about that thing” or “that thing” and rather experience a kind of existentialist singularity.

Living in the moment is not singular. The only thing that can be is your perception of it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Most lunchtimes at the gym.

Used to be through less positive means.

MrNutt
    Free Member

a Simon Amstell? he was a presenter on Nevermind the Buzzcocks, hang on, was he dropped from presenter duties due to his penchant for buzzing cock? 😀

MrNutt
    Free Member

roper – Member

Living in the moment is not singular. The only thing that can be is your perception of it.[/quote]

correct,

well you’d have difficulty perceiving said “existentialist singularity” if you weren’t on the inside looking out surely?

Hohum
    Free Member

Living in the moment is what AA, CA and NA teach.

It can be a very positive way of thinking to control anxiety and to get your life and thinking back on track.

j_me
    Free Member

No there are definitely two “in the moments”.

How did you manage that?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Is this the kind of thing you are trying to describe Mr Nutt?

Maslow also wrote a lot about peak experiences too.

DezB
    Free Member

Y’know, I used to think all deeply about stuff when I was younger. Nowadays I can’t be bothered. I just get on with it – dog to walk; kid to educate/entertain – good thing? bad thing? *shrug* get on with it.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’ve no idea Simon, care to give us the abridged synopsis?

hels
    Free Member

Is that not just a paraphrasing of Irvine Welsh ??

simonralli2
    Free Member

Here’s a review:

Be warned – this book is very heavy going. It is clearly well researched, but you have to read it slowly. More like an academic thesis than light reading.

In fact, as I think a previous reviewer has said, it isn’t your typical self help book. In fact, if you are looking for a book which will give you practical tips on how to improve your life, or your outlook on life, I doubt that this is the book for you.

The book really has only one central message – participation in “flow” activities tends to make you happy. These are activities that are goal orientated and challenging enough to absorb all your attention such that, when engaged in them, you cease to notice the passage of time. For me, it is playing the violin. For others it may, for example, be art or a challenging sport. They tend to be active rather than passive activities – i.e. producing a painting as opposed to visiting a gallery, making music as opposed to listening to it.

So I guess you can read the book and take away this one nugget of information, or you could take my word for it and spend the time you would have spent reading the book engaging in your favourite “flow” activity instead!

roper
    Free Member

well you’d have difficulty perceiving said “existentialist singularity” if you weren’t on the inside looking out surely?

That is two singulars. The moment is not singular.

sharki
    Free Member

Last time was during an intimate moment.

As our naked bodies intertwined in a rhythmic unison. The mind became void of thought, the body controlled by an unknown source.

The natural sync of passion, was our guide.

Is that the sort of moment you speak of?
    When everything happens in an effortless non thinking way?

I’ve had times on the bike like that.
    I’ve had times alone in the wilds like that, when i became apart of the land and nature embraced me as it’s own. To the point of being accepted by the wildlife.

A wild bird comes and perches on you, a wild red deer comes to see what you are. A family of Badger the parents and 3 young. They come over and sniff you. The wet noses against my bare hand..I am no threat and they walk on, the young playfully rolling about before my open eyes.

These are the moments i wait for, when i don’t feel anything but sight’s and sounds.

MrNutt
    Free Member

how is “the moment” not singular? I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION!

MrNutt
    Free Member

yep Sharki, thats the thing.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“These are activities that are goal orientated and challenging enough to absorb all your attention such that, when engaged in them, you cease to notice the passage of time.”

I miss computer programming – seriously, programming is as addictive as a good computer game. The tight interaction induces a flow where you get rewarded when a code section works.

Aside from solo riding when my mind becomes a void, I get it solo-hiking. There is a rhythm to footfall, breathing and the beating of the heart. And being in the hills and woods induces a lovely uncluttered feeling of freedom and limitless possibilities – adventure! Even the cold wind in my face makes me feel happy!

I don’t get it in groups at all. That’s not to say I don’t enjoy sharing experiences – that’s just as important and I get a lot of satisfaction from helping others enjoy themselves. But I also need a minimum amount of solitary me-time to re-connect.

Kunstler

Yeah, I get this – all the creative stuff: painting/drawing, performing and recording music, editing film and the active stuff: biking and probably most notably, scrambling up rocky mountain ridges. And sex, as I remember it. I have also had that timeless and connected feeling in nature.
    I have lots and lots of ideas, not many of which reach fruition.

But… this could be explained as mania. I am predisposed to a milder variation of the condition.

poppa
    Free Member

“These are activities that are goal orientated and challenging enough to absorb all your attention such that, when engaged in them, you cease to notice the passage of time.”

So that guy in Catch 22 was right. If you want to live a (perceived) long life, get bored and stay bored.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

hey! I was going to mention ‘Flow’

epicyclo

Stuff the flow, go for slow 🙂

BillMC

You can download a few decent powerpoints on Flow Theory, it’s not a complex idea and chimes with many people’s experience of riding. Recent article in the Guardian as well on living in the moment, there’s definitely something going on there.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘"In the moment"’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts