Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • In Search of a Cross Country bike.
  • RufusKemp
    Free Member

I'm looking to buy a bike anyone got what im lookingg for?
    I've scoured ebays listings only a couple of things have been interesting and i'm considering them 🙂
    I'll give you a brief description of what i'm loooking for, as well as a link to sumin i found on ebay.
    17" frame,
    Preferabbly light cross country hard tail sorta frame,
    V brakes or Disc brakes, either depending on what spec they are.
    decent forks, marrazochi, or manitou
    Something like this..
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270465434373&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230383872556&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1182
    You get the idea,
    I'm based in the UK and have rougly $350.00 to spend, (no pound sign)
    just wondering if anyone out there has something that is what I'm looking for, help would be appreciated thanks.

tails
    Free Member

What I would do if I had £350 to spend on a bike is call merlin up and buy this red commencal From my point of view the frame is as good as a kona frame but brand new. the rockshox dart is a good fork on the kona but is old and may not have been serviced.

I reckon a brand new bike will be cheaper in the long run as the parts will last a year or so and the commencal frame is worthy of upgrading when you feel like it or have spare cash.

Northwind

This is worth a look, again for new buys:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&partNumber=946525&langId=-1&cm_mmc=Googlebase-_-Performance%20Bikes/Performance%20Mountain%20Bikes-_-Na-_-Carrera%20Kraken%2018%22%20Mountain%20Bike%2009&%24%24tid=mnw9_C17WCl19TVz1WIU1o-a_DuKAfDGNPMUD-WbJnMB1XxpKaxwZAEjx8L_aJE4

The Suntour forks are decent, not amazing but they're damped and fairly controlled as long as you care for them. Other than that it's a very good spec for the price, decent sturdy eyeletted rims, surprisingly nice frame (based on last year's £500 Fury, though I think slightly heavier), hydros (Tektro Auriga Pro, which are Shimano LX ripoffs and better than you'd think) and X5 shifters etc. I had the 08 model which had some drawbacks in its spec, which now seem to have been fixed. Not much better at this price, certainly better'n that commencal.

But, used will definately get you more bike, as long as you buy carefully.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tails
    Free Member

Not much better at this price, certainly better'n that commencal.

have you even compared the two they are as good as identical, you'd be making a choice on tyres, colour and supplier.

RufusKemp
    Free Member

@Tails, your saying the two Kona's are of similar *urr a word* yknow,
    like the two kona's are really good, im strucken of which i prefer, but if anyone has any other suggestions, and thanks people, but im not buying a bike from halfords 😉

Northwind

"have you even compared the two they are as good as identical, you'd be making a choice on tyres, colour and supplier."

Nope, the Carrera gets better wheels, the 120mm version of the XCR and more trailworthy handling, with better mud clearance, better brakes (IMO, do not liuke Juicy 3s) and comes out lighter. OTOH the Commencal doesn't have the Carrera's ****ing horrible isoflow chainset though, and it has a nicer logo.

Rufus, you've got to be daft to rule out Halfords at this price, as long as you know how to check it's been assembled right- the bikes are very good. That Cindercone you're looking at is s**t by comparison to the Kraken frinstance. The Kula's nice assuming it's in good nick though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘In Search of a Cross Country bike.’ is closed to new replies.