Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • In Scotland what happens to your referrals when you move to a new NHS district?
  • marmaduke
    Free Member

After 3 years of tests and long, long referral waiting times I’m finally about 80% of the way to getting the treatment I need/want. Essentially the surgeon has said he’ll do the surgery if a test I’m having in the next few months come back positive. After the test I have to wait a few more months to see the surgeon again and then however long it takes to schedule surgery.

I also see a consultant every few months for something routine.

What happens when I move and have to change my address? Can the process continue in my old district or will everything have to shift to the new city?

Smudger666

Wife says you need to speak to your consultant – he MAY be able to refer you to a consultant in the new area.

If he tests are complete then even if you do starts gain, you’ll short circuit he process a bit by requesting your notes for the new area.

Wife is an ex orthopedic charge nurse in a hospital and now a practise nurse practitioner so reckons she knows her stuff.

marmaduke
    Free Member

Many thanks Smudger and thanks to your wife. That’s good to know but a little frustrating. I might be faster saving to have it done privately at this rate :/

matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab just moved from Tayside/Dundee to Gartmore in Glasgow.
    It was her choice, stay or go. Consultant in Dundee referred to Gartmore, who did re-run lots of tests.
    Just to complicate things, when she has been ill recently she is taken to Larbert….but all the consultants and our GP seem great at keeping folk updated via email and letter.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I am not sure if this is the official line, but you appear to be able to decide which trust treats you and which waiting list you go on. I live in Edinburgh and am getting my treatment from one of the neighbouring trusts at my choice.

marmaduke
    Free Member

Thanks oab and mankylung, I’m actually moving to Edinburgh from Tayside so both very useful! Cheers, sounds like I’ll definitely elect to keep treatment in Tayside.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

You might want to look up the relevant consultants in Edinburgh and see if they’re “better” than the one you’re currently with. Edinburgh has a few regional centres, or tertiary care centres, so has a few of the better consultants kicking around.

I just went to a neighbouring trust because it’s quicker.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘In Scotland what happens to your referrals when you move to a new NHS district?’ is closed to new replies.