• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by joat.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • In hospital – entertain me
  • molgrips
    Free Member

My daughter’s in with suspected Meckel’s Diverticulum problems. She’s binge-watching cartoons on a tablet. I’m trying to figure out how I can get a bike ride in this weekend.

Cardiff Heath hospital, it’s not bad in here actually. And they take you to get X-rays via secret tunnels that were used in Dr Who filming, which entertained my daughter no end.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can you do us a 2 page summary of the EU and Trump threads

scaredypants

A spare appendix – lucky girl !

Lots of tunnels under Cardiff, I believe. Do some history research for us and post up here, mols

sandwicheater

Adventure Time on the cartoon network is most excellent fun for your daughter.

As for you, ummm, errr, practise finding your balance point on what ever wheelchair you can find. I’m sure you’ll be popping wheelies like a demon in no time.

scaredypants

practise finding your balance point on what ever wheelchair you can find

Aye, I’m sure there’s spare capacity in the CT scanner 😀

jamj1974

My late dad was a nurse in a Victorian-era hospital with similar tunnels. These were accessed using ramps. Whilst training he was asked to move a deceased patient to the mortuary using the tunnels in the middle of the night.

As he went down one of those sloped ramps he noticed there was a leak. The way he noticed was finding himself on his backside and the trolley running out of control to hit a wall. The deceased patient rolled off the trolley and smacked off the wall and made a disturbing groan. My dad rushed over thinking the patient must still be alive, panicking the patient was now both not dead and possibly injured. Luckily for him but less luckily for the patient – the patient was still dead, but now had a laceration on the forehead. That’s the way my dad found out that dead bodies still make noises if air is pushed out of them.

Pigface
    Free Member

No idea Moli but hope she is on the mend soon.

jamj1974

^^ Hopefully that distracted you for a couple of mins.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s a good story that is Jamj 🙂

These tunnels are just service tunnels, but it’s obvious that if you tidied away the bed linen and catering equippment and sprayed some silver paint around it’d look like a spaceship. But then again, do these things look like spaceships because our idea of what spaceships should look like is actually just service tunnels?

jamj1974

I think that’s the case molgrips. Couple of good books I’ve read recently – carrying on the space theme. Artemis by Andy Weir is pretty entertaining, some laughs in it too. Archangel by Robert Harris, thriller about a missing Stalin diary. Both good enough to keep you occupied.

Hope mini-molgrips recovers soon.

maccruiskeen

If you like secret tunnels and you’ve got internet access go exploring tunnels on Scanlab’s website. You get to see the world the way a ghost would see it.

The scans of the Soane’s Museum are good – didn’t spot them on their website but they’ve done good scans of the tunnels under Nottingham too. If they did the Williamson Tunnels that would be fantastic

bikebouy
    Free Member

For either you or your Daughter, these guys never fail to entertain..

jamj1974

How is your daughter doing?

joat

scaredypants – Member
    A spare appendix – lucky girl !

I thought they were all spare.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘In hospital – entertain me’ is closed to new replies.