Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • In Holmfirth, where's the best place to sleep in my van?
  • Mugboo

We are over there on Sat to watch Alabama 3 and being cheapskates we thought we’d sleep in the back of the van. Can anybody suggest a place to park?

Cheers J

jonnyrockymountain

Park here at pub (camp site) £5 per adult with facility’s good food and beer

http://www.thecarriage-house.co.uk/

jonnyrockymountain

Ps only 10 mins drive from Holmfirth

Mugboo

Thank you, I’ll bear that in mind Jonny but I was thinking more of a car park or sleepy street.

munrobiker
    Free Member

At the folk festival, with all the other hippies. 😉

Within walking distance of the Picturedrome I would say just stick it on the lower bit of Greenfield Road- there’s a stretch where the houses don’t look onto the road on the left side as you go uphill and no one will notice you. It’s a busy road though. Other than that there’s a layby jiust before the fire station on Huddersfield Road where you won’t get any bother. A lot of the smaller roads have a very steep slope which won’t be nice to sleep on or you’ll be sleeping right outside someone’s house.

allthegear
    Free Member

In the back.

Mugboo

Thank you both, Greenfield Rd, in the back… Don’t come knocking if the vans a rocking! I wish…

scuttler

Sands carpark – the gravel car park near to the playground on the south side of the river though footballists will be there on Sunday morning probably about 9am. There’s a short cut through to the village too past the cricket pitch. Can’t guarantee there won’t be some neds around but it’s pretty civilised and not making any claim to the legality of it other than various community events put portaloos in there use it as a campsite extension. Goes without saying you’ll keep it clean and not stuff your rubbish into the overfilled, under-emptied bins they have down there 🙂

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Holmfirth,+West+Yorkshire+HD9/@53.5780313,-1.7833166,157m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x487bc4ceed38a29b:0x807d7a8131476d90!5m1!1e1

Mugboo

Nice one. Any recommendations for a good breakfast?

allthegear
    Free Member

Did you have a good night?

Rachel

Mugboo

It’s not till sat, but thanks for asking

scuttler

5 min drive away

http://thecardingshed.co.uk/menus/breakfast-menu/

Not low budget but good food and a great location.

Open from 1000.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The Carding Shed is cool. If you don’t want to drive then the Riverside Cafe on Hollowgate is my choice for breakfast.

The real top tip though is when the show is finished go to The Nook pub- this is down an alley just on the opposite side of the river to the Picturedrome between the Tap House and the Aldea Restaurant. If you want authentic (and cheapish for a pint- £2.20ish) that’s the place to be. Just don’t order a wine or anything like that.

scuttler

Wot Munrobiker said, and don’t whatever you do go to the Bridge Hotel next to the Picturedrome cos it’s s#1t. Nook and it’s sister Tap FTW, or Gonzo 30m up the hill to the left of the Tap if you’re part of the Ed Oxley crowd.

Mugboo

Thanks again peeps, can’t believe I didn’t think to ask about beer!

Mugboo

So, in typical STW fashion I ignored some of your no doubt good advice and parked in the coop car park, 60p 8-10 am and lovely and quiet. Liked the Nook, loved Gonzos for the Magic Rock and ate opposite the bus station because it was open, good coffee, poor sausages.
    Alabama 3 were superb, we will be back 🙂

Cheers.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘In Holmfirth, where's the best place to sleep in my van?’ is closed to new replies.