• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • In Gateshead for work – which trail centre is close by and open in the evening
  • cheshirecat
    Free Member

As above, I find myself in Gateshead for work for a couple of days in a couple of weeks. Which trail centre should I aim for on the way back to Cheshire (need easy navigation, so trail centre preferred).

Needs the car park to be open in the evening.

Many thanks

northernmatt

Chopwell Woods is close to Gateshead but not too well signposted. Other option is Hamsterley. Main car park closes at 8 I think but plenty of other places to park nearby.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Park at Blaydon Rugby club. Cycle along the Derwent walk part of the coast to coast to Chopwell then hit the trail centre, about 5 miles.

legolam
    Free Member

Chopwell isn’t signposted though, so you’ll need a local to show you around. Hamsterley is signposted, but the official red doesn’t showcase the best stuff. It’s easy to follow a Strava/GPX route though

jonba
    Free Member

If you don’t have a map or know the place then there is one red descent signed in Chopwell. I like the place but if you don’t know it you won’t find the good stuff in one evening without a bit of local help.

Personally I’d head to Hamsterley.

From there you can head south over the A66 so it is not massively out of the way.

teethgrinder

If you are about on thurs evenings and have lights the Tumblers can give you a guided tour of Chopwell. 1945 kick off.

I’ll be at Hamsterley on Tuesday afternoons from 1730 ish with some people from work, too.

Drac

Thrunton is only about 30 minutes away but you’ll need a guide or gps to find the best bits as it’s not official.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘In Gateshead for work – which trail centre is close by and open in the evening’ is closed to new replies.