Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • In-garage security
  • scotroutes

Concrete floor, plasterboard walls. Bikes hang by the front or rear wheels, off the ground.

I’m thinking ground anchors into the concrete are the most secure but will need lengthy chains to secure the bikes.

Anything in the wall will be easily removed(?)

I thought about a length of timber screwed into the wooden battens to attach some sort of wall anchors to.

Oh – and it’s in a garage where there are tools available 🙄

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve been looking at these kind of things:

http://securityforbikes.com/products.php?cat=Ground+Anchor%2C+Chain+and+Lock+Deals

I’d like a PIR alarm with camera that talks to my smartphone – something like that must exist?

scotroutes

Half a dozen bikes … this could get spendy!

I guess chain length isn’t a problem as long as they are solid enough?

Greybeard
    Free Member

If the bikes are next to each other, consider horizontal steel bars through the frame and one or both wheels. Vertical bars at the end, padlocked on. The weight of the bars resting on wall brackets. So all the bikes are connected to the others, which makes them very hard/obvious to carry.

nosedive
    Free Member

2 ground anchors. 2 padlocks. 1 massive length of chain running through all of the bike frames?

hatter

If the walls aren’t solid then a floor anchor and big chain will be the most secure option, unless the ceiling is concrete, in which case you could screw it into that, keeping the chain off the floor makes it harder to use big bolt droppers.

Some beefy deadbolts on the two bottom corners of the door would be a good move as well, makes the door much harder to lever open and if carefully fitted are quite unobtrusive and don’t shout Expensive stuff in here! quite as much as a garage defender or similar would.

scaredypants

Yeh,

I keep thinking I’ll put in some more anti-theft measures and not getting around to it but, if I did, I’d probably fasten a big chain to a few points on the ceiling joists (which are pretty big so I’d recess the anchor points into them (or just run the chain through a big hole in the joists). That’d keep the cahin away from the floor which I see as a major benefit.

SO far all I’ve done is secure the up/over door reasonably well and fit a couple of alarms (1 part of the house system, 1 freestanding)

Trouble is,
    a) long, strong chains are bloody expensive
    b) I’d probably forget to secure it all on a regular basis
    c) CBA sorting it out

tlr

d) constantly threading locks or chains through bike frames cause damage. Maybe not too much of a concern on mtbs, but a bit annoying on shiny road bikes!

seadog101

I remember a post a while back where a small, battery powered, motion activated, security camera was recommended. As it was pretty small,about the size of half a paperback book, it could be pretty unobtrusive, tucked away out of sight. I can’t track down the gizmo myself, but I’d quite like to get one. Anyone know of this thing?

OK, so the bikes may still get nicked, but you’ll know who did it.

alibongo001

I think this has been done a few times!

One of the things I remembered was a concrete filled tyre to use as a dead weight which seemed a good idea.

I guess a useful concept is have a look around and see where the weak spots are (windows / roof etc as they seem to instinctively know!_

thegeneralist
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru’s link is for Pragmasis stuff. I’ve bought four chains off Steve at Pragmasss and he’s spot on.
    But getting to the point, the reason I bought so many was that the first two were too short… 2.5m each. They’re really only good for locking one bike with two wheels or one wheel plus frame on two bikes. You can get them round both frames and wheels of two bikes, but only just. It’s a real faff and you end up really squeezing the bikes together to get them to fit (with ground anchor). The 16mm chains are very bulky and you use a lot of length threading them about.

In the end I bought a 4m lock which is great. You can easily thread 4 bikes together to the ground anchor without having to jam the bikes together.

I also did the concrete car tyre thing mentioned above. Weighs about 60kg for a standard car tyre.

Why am I writing all this on the internet. I must be mad.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Sorry, the only point I’m trying to make is that if you want to lock 6 bikes then get a mahoosive chain. Minimum 4m.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

OK, so the bikes may still get nicked, but you’ll know who did it.

Ah, It’ll be those two blokes with balaclava’s then!

Me, I’ve got a door contact, a PIR, a ground anchor & a big fat **** off chain with an even bigger fatter Kasp padlock (& a fat U lock holding the cheapy bike to the other one)

Bottom line is though, if a scrote wants your bike(s)that much, he’ll get it.

scotroutes

I realise there is a limit to how much you can deter a committed thief. However, the insurance company want to know that the bikes are secured well (to something non-moveable) before they will cover them.

Based on the above, I’m currently think of 3 ground anchors with two lengths of chain and securing them in 3’s. That should reduce how many times I’m having to slip a chain over a frame and causing damage.

boxfish
    Free Member

Those Pragmasis chains are so good that the thieves will cut through your frame(s) instead. 👿

I have only a 2″ section of down tube from my Brodie Ti Holeshot left to prove it.

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

I’d like a PIR alarm with camera that talks to my smartphone – something like that must exist?

For an alarm I was thinking about one of these

You can get a PIR model too.

Cheap and simple. At least I’d know if someone have broken into the garage when I’m in the house. I’ve not come across a camera that could send me an MMS at a reasonable price to suit my application (no power when I’m not using the garage)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Do you use it as a garage? ie car in? Probably not. If not, build a concrete block partition wall inside, As the up n over door is the weak point of any garage. Then get a really good secure door for the other entrance, deadbolts and all.

I think deterring the pluckers from getting near your bike is money better spent than locks on the bike, as Boxfish’ post above re-iterates.

plus-one

All you can do is fit as many locks(decent ones) and as said anchor(protector) chain or similar/alarm/proper CCTV or dummy camera at least …

Another good idea is baby monitors(if you have power) one plugged in next to my bed … I don’t buy into the less security to not draw attention.. My theory is if it looks a major ball ache to gain entry and time consuming the low life will move onto easier targets …

So far so good !

scotroutes

Garage is part of the house so power isn’t a problem – and hopefully also acts as a deterrent.

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Do you use it as a garage? ie car in?

For real? 🙄

😆

matth75
    Free Member

FWIW you can thread the chains through an old innertube and secure the ‘tube with cable ties to eliminate metal on metal contact with the frames.

azrael71
    Free Member

Recently secured our garage with the pragmasis solutions.
    I secure 3 bikes per anchor using either a 2 or 2.5m chain.
    Threading it through the frames causes no issue as long as you are careful and the come precovered.
    It will cost you a bit but it is the best you can do short of installing perimeter mines 🙂

Steve (from pragmasis) advised me to put the bikes in position and measure the length of chain needed with a length of hosepipe.
    Worked great for me, but if in doubt go for the next length up.

ChrisI

matth75 – Member
    FWIW you can thread the chains through an old innertube and secure the ‘tube with cable ties to eliminate metal on metal contact with the frames.

Did this with mine, does a cracking job of protecting the bike. Only problem is eventually the tubes break down so need to redo them now and again (talking every few years here).

wonderchump
    Free Member

+ 1 for Pragmasis / Protector stuff – Chain needs to be just long enough so the lock isn’t on the floor.

markyd

Try almax chains. Designed for motor bikes. About the only chain that can’t be cropped. The thing with long chains is that they are incredibly heavy if they are strong enough to resist cropping. If have a 2m long almax series 4 and it is seriously heavy.

On a serious note, all they will do is hacksaw through the frame and sell the bits.

scotroutes

Probably – but at least the insurance company will then pay up as I will have been seen to have done my bit.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I got a very heavy duty chain from B&Q which has a tough plastic sleeve round it. Long enough to go round 3 or 4 bikes that are very close together. I say make it as difficult as possible for them.

backinireland
    Free Member

Second the almax stuff
    http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2964

That takes a shotgun blank which should scare them, in fact why use a blank?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘In-garage security’ is closed to new replies.