Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • In-ceiling speakers – any experiences?
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

Got tacit approval for the extension to be wire-up for ethernet and sound.

Whilst obviously being a bloke I am positively happy about making lists, new tech and ignoring the manuals, a small part of me is still thinking it’s a lot of faff (and possiby expense?) for listening to the radio in the morning and audiobooks of How To Train Your Dragon at teatime (current child 1 trend…).

It’s going to be a pretty big extension and kitchen so it’s not like we won’t have space for a decent hifi and space for a dab radio on the benches.

Presumably/obviously I’m going to need a source (hoping to blag a new Vortexbox cd ripper/nas regardless) and some amplification which has to be ‘hidden’ somewhere too.

Any comments/recommendations for kit?

bedmaker

They’re fine for people who don’t actually enjoy music I guess, and I’m no audiophile. Mounting a speaker with no back into plasterboard is never really going to be great. My in laws have them and if you are sat under one it sounds like it is drilling into your head but if not then it’s much quieter.
    I daresay there are better ones available with some sort of speaker box built in.

bedmaker

I ‘hid’ my system when building the house by doing this
    [/url]
    Untitled by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr[/img]

The bench was built using 2X 12″ Celestion subs and following their instructions to build two ported cabinets using 25mm ply with internal baffles. Like this but not that particular one.

The mids and tweets are behind the black covers on the wall, again built into a solid box from 25mm ply.

Crossovers are mounted behind the bench, setup for 4 ohms ratehr than 8. This makes the Myryad put out 100watt instead of 50ish. It’s an impressive little box, proper room shaking if you want it to.

vorlich
    Free Member

Sonos or stereo pair of Sonii?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Fortunately, no.

globalti
    Free Member

Hidden speakers are so….. seventies, aren’t they!

bedmaker

A set of floorstanders in the kitchen/family room just wasn’t going to happen though, I did ask 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Have you thought about wall-mounted? On something fairly rigid, like…

marcus7
    Free Member

I’m doing this now, and the mrs will not have wall or floor standers in the bedroom so I’ve little choice, however my plan is to box them in from above with mdf so that they are less open, they won’t be great but it’s the best I could come up with, downstairs she is ok with stuff on walls etc but doesn’t want the house looking like a hifi shop…

nwgiles

In-ceiling speakers are ok for background noise, you can make/buy enclosures for them.
    I use the Sonos speakers and just mounted them up in the corners of the room, had sockets run up to that level,they sound good in a stereo pair without sound bleeding through the roof.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘In-ceiling speakers – any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.