Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • In Cardiff
  • Grapefruit
    Free Member

All this talk of my old neck of the woods is getting me nostalgic for my childhood. I grew up riding bmx round tyn-y-coed woods and creigiau/pentyrch/gwaelod. These days am enjoying the Epping forest/broxbourne woods thing In Hertfordshire – all good stuff but looking forward to moving back west in the next year or so. For this that get the chance, have a great time riding round north Cardiff – there’s good stuff around.

Blacklug
    Free Member

MtbWales died when Caer stopped posting. There is no disputing that.

Cardiff trails are so-so, ideal for beginners I guess.
    Though Machen and Wyllie offer lots more – the best trail is Ruperra Castle DH. Twice as long as Machen trails and alot more varied.

catfood
    Free Member

So as a Surrey Hills rider am I going to be disappointed by the stuff near Cardiff then?

rkk01
    Free Member

Not an argument to carry over onto here – but there are plenty who would dispute that.

So as a Surrey Hills rider am I going to be disappointed by the stuff near Cardiff then?

Depends what you are looking for, I guess. If you pedal up stuff as well as down, there should be plenty to keep you entertained.

Tinners

Surrey Hills, you say? Keep an eye open for the Taff trail at a place called “Coopers Fields”. I think you’ll find it highly technical and immensely challenging with some killer inclines. Non locals tend to find it pretty much unrideable without a long travel FS.

rkk01
    Free Member

Keep an eye open for the Taff trail at a place called “Coopers Fields”.

Harsh…. 😮

Colin-T

If by The Surrey Hills you mean Pitch, Leith and Holmbury then in my personal opinion the immediate locality of Cardiff is not as good, but the difference is that the wider area available with a short car journey or longer ride is much better.

Tinners

Harsh..

Very true. However, if you’re a Surrey Hills rider, new to riding around Cardiff, you might as well go in at the deep end……

catfood
    Free Member

I hear that Taff trail is a bit gnarly for us out of towners, especially near the castle, I might put some thicker tyres on me Pashley.

Tinners

😉

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

HA ha mad farmers.. that was in the 90’s nowadays when I’m up there he’s always been super friendly and hangs around chatting and even held the gate out.
    Machen and Bedwas have some superb riding especially from Cardiff over and dropping into Cwmcarn and doing a lap. Cardiff riding is great for a change of riding out of your door and you can have some fab times but yup it’s not crazy difficult but is technical and fun!

coatesy
    Free Member

Only time i’ve seen angry farmer is when people have left his gates open, or gone charging off the tracks through lambing ewes. Under usual cicumstances he’s a really nice bloke.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

We knew him as the “mad farmer” still makes me laugh that we talk about heading over to the mad farmers field… love it… ahhhh Cardiff.

mooman
    Free Member

Dai Cometson – the son of the recently deceased Angry Farmer – will talk a glass eye to sleep given the chance.

Blacklug – Member

Cardiff trails are so-so, ideal for beginners I guess.
    Though Machen and Wyllie offer lots more – the best trail is Ruperra Castle DH. Twice as long as Machen trails and alot more varied.

Blacklug. Is you a certain Stevie Chopper by any chance?? lol

Wasnt I warned with physical harm by yourself if I so much as mentioned the new Rupera trail to anybody?
    You boys did an excellent job over there – especially with you being a flat-lander and that …. lol

I did the 1st two over the brook. Still looking at that end bit..

robkhoo
    Free Member

He’s a nice bloke, I’ve stopped and chatted to him a number of times. Does a lot of maintenance and repairs to the ridgeway trail as well. Seem him out a few times pissed out of his mind on his quad looking for his cows.

coatesy
    Free Member

Definitely mad, still not sure about angry though. Mate of mine refers to to it as The Clampetts Farm (Beverly Hillbillies if you’re a young ‘un).

allthegear
    Free Member

Can I just say I did make it out on the Wednesday night ride as suggested at the start of the thread and everyone was really nice – thanks guys!!

The trails were pretty good, too!

Rachel

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Yeah the WNR’s are a nice bunch, but they are not used to female company iirc!! Hope JimB didnt get too friendly and i hope you werent exposed to the castell coch dogging society!! How was the black cock?

allthegear
    Free Member

lol – the Black Cock was lovely!!

And I think I was safe from any unwanted advances, covered in mud as I was!!

robkhoo
    Free Member

Talking to yourself again, Tony?

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

who’s tony rob?

ell_tell
    Free Member

Not forgetting one of the best bits about the trails around Rudry/Caerphilly Mtn is a food/beer stop at the Maenllwyd.

I have fond memories of a plate of ham, egg and chips and a lovely ale 😆

Haven’t ridden the local trails much this year. If I ever get a set of lights I might join up with the Weds night crowd – sounds fun.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

MMM Maenllwyd apple pie after a ride over Machen and Bedwas, was ace when we did it a month or so ago. OOOO would love to move back there.

robkhoo
    Free Member

who’s tony rob?

I bet you can work it out Dr Nick…

b_man
    Free Member

I’m curious about the Ruperra DH, some details gents or is it far too sensitive?

MrNutt
    Free Member

Plus they’ve changed the final descent.

WHAT?!? WHY?!? HOW?!?

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

aaaah yeah rob 2+2=4, al

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘In Cardiff’ is closed to new replies.