Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • In Cardiff
  • allthegear
    Free Member

and the bike is in the back of the car…

So, if I pop up to Cwmcarn, will I be able to ride this evening without getting locked in or anything extremely stupid like that???

(yes, I have my lights)

Rachel

LoCo
    Free Member

I think the gates shut on the carpark at 8pm, but check the signs if not there are other places to park near by, just don’t leave anything visible in the car.

rkk01
    Free Member

mtb-wales.com normally have an “all welcome” wednesday night ride around Castell Coch woods / North Cardiff area … Better than Cwmcarn

Easily accessed from the Taff Trail without need for the car (although if unfamiliar with the area car might be useful) I’m riding up the Taff Trail tonight from the centre of Cardiff – but commuting home rather than playing in the woods

Linky

allthegear
    Free Member

ah – I’m staying with some people down here that might be a little surprised if I disappeared off for the whole night riding. I was thinking of something early and fairly quick. Back in time for tea kind of thing…

Pity – would have like to come out with the locals…

I’ll just have to make do with a waymarked trail straight after finishing at the hospital.

Thanks!!

Rachel

b_man
    Free Member

There is a car park by the visitors centre which is outside of the part that gets locked so your car will be fine there, shame you can’t come out for the Wednesday night ride, I will be there despite feeling rough as a dog…

allthegear
    Free Member

Ah! I’ve just spoken to my hosts and they are okay for me to to a disappearing act on them so I’ll see you all at the Lewis Arms at 7 then!!

(that’s assuming I can find the Lewis Arms now)

Rachel

molgrips
    Free Member

Go to the normal Cwmcarn car park and park just outside. There’s a residential street just near the entrace to the car park, you can park on the end there easily enough. It’s what I do when I go after hours.

Castell Coch woods / North Cardiff area … Better than Cwmcarn

I would not agree with that statement 🙂

crazy-legs

Cwmcarn holds up better in bad weather but Castell Coch and Caerphily is home to a huge network of amazing singletrack. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Castell Coch and Caerphily is home to a huge network of amazing adequate singletrack.

Fixed that for you.

allthegear
    Free Member

Don’t worry guys – I’m here from Cambridge – it will all seem amazing!! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

Depends how far the Castell Coch and Caerphilly area covers 😉 There’s some very good stuff if you know where to look 😉

catfood
    Free Member

Planning to move to Cardiff in the next year or so, this thread makes me look forward to it even more, lots of natural singletrack that I can ride to from home sounds very appealing.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s plenty of stuff, and it’s not bad, but nothing to give the thrill of belting around Cwmcarn or hacking across the mountains.

Don’t get me wrong – it’s pretty decent for city biking. Can show you round catfood 🙂

rkk01
    Free Member

It’s true that the trail centres are more weatherproof, but it takes a lot to beat the wooded singletrack to the north of Cardiff.

I’m more familiar with the west side of the river (Gwaelod / Pentyrch / Garth / Tyn y Coed / Llantrisant Forest) as its closer to home / on my commute to Cardiff 😀 😀 , but there is some good stuff in the Castell Coch / Wenallt / Caerphilly / Coed Coesau whips / Rudry / Machen areas…

… enough to never (ok, rarely) bother going to one of the trail centres. Despite being close by I haven’t ridden at Afan for nearly three years, and longer since I’ve been to Cwmcarn

catfood
    Free Member

Thatll be nice, hoping to be there within a year or so but we are stuck at the mo as we are waiting on legal stuff. Looking forward to having the Brecons on my doorstep.

molgrips
    Free Member

Brecons is still an hour away…

I live in Pontprennau so that stuff you mention is on my doorstep. Like I say some nice bits, but it depends what you are after.

I ride at Cwmcarn loads, and I have a massive grin on my face every time I go. Brilliant. Plus if you haven’t been in years it’s WELL worth another visit since it’s eroding all the time and getting gnarlier and betterer. Plus they’ve changed the final descent.

I also ride to Cwmcarn sometimes, mostly offroad 🙂

rkk01
    Free Member

Might have to do that, but generally can’t be @rsed to do the car / bike thing (with the exception of taking the kids to Brechfa)…

… even to the extent of riding the Gap from the front door

catfood
    Free Member

An hour to the Brecons is pretty much what I reckoned on. We plan to live round the Heath area so hopefully close enough to get to some xc type stuff from home, night rides and the like or if I just have a few hours spare. Never been to a trail centre unless you count Swinley, have to give them a go.

Shergie
    Free Member

Honestly come out and play with the locals, cwmcarn is good – what we have on our doorstep is better!

Anyone thats not convinced or just wants a good night (Ride) out the mtb-wales rides are the best way to sample whats about – if only beacuse you wont be able to find the really good stuff without a guide or a lot of sniffing!

allthegear
    Free Member

@catfood – 3 miles away from the hospital/heath right now and it’s really quite nice!!

Rachel

Shergie
    Free Member

I can see the hospital from where im sat now – no mountain bike means im stuck on the road tonight, next week though…

b_man
    Free Member

There’s plenty of stuff, and it’s not bad, but nothing to give the thrill of belting around Cwmcarn or hacking across the mountains.

The thrill of belting around Cwmcarn???? the taff trail is more thrill than Cwmcarn, sanitised rubbish!!!

You’ve clearly never done the steep way down after several pints at the black cock, now that’s a thrill

mooman
    Free Member

Castell-Coch trails are too busy with horse riders, walkers, dog walkers … and the infamous doggers.

Rudry/Machen area beats anything that side of the mtn. Real easy to add a loop of cwmcarn in on the ride also … cwmcarn is very good by the way.

richwales

either hook up with some locals who actually build the trails and know where the best local stuff is or go and waste 2 hours of your riding time driving to cwmcarn every week.

molgrips
    Free Member

the taff trail is more thrill than Cwmcarn, sanitised rubbish!!!

Aaahahah!

Maybe the speed you ride it at!

Anyway which is this ‘steep way down’ of which you speak? Purely curious, not meaning to be critical or anything 🙂

either hook up with some locals who actually build the trails and know where the best local stuff is or go and waste 2 hours of your riding time driving to cwmcarn every week.

I’ve seen some built trails in the woods, but not many. They are quite hard to find it seems…!

It takes me 25 minutes to get to Cwmcarn, and I find it well worth it. All depends what you want out of riding doesn’t it. I like the challenge of riding Cwmcarn at breakneck speed.

Don’t get me wrong, I do ride the natural stuff too. Many a lovely summer evening has passed in those woods; however week in week out mud or slop it can get a bit meh, and it’s nothing more special than any other bit of woodland in the country is it?

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyway why don’t we have a Cardiff ride, then we can share some trails..? Whatcha doing on Sunday morning?

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

rkk01 is that you rob khoo!!??

any how , great riding from north cardiff, with scope to ride via caerfilthy mountain accros machen mtn and then do the twrch!! should keep you amused!!

considering how much use the rudry trails get with walkers/horses/and bikers (not to forget rudry’s legendary angry farmer)it’s amazing how well they do hold up.

molgrips
    Free Member

Where’s the angry farmer? I once bailed out of riding a bridleway past a farm in the area because of a very angry dog…

rkk01
    Free Member

rkk01 is that you rob khoo!!??

Nah – another mtb-wales exile… 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

No-one wanting a ride on Sunday am then?

rkk01
    Free Member

No-one wanting a ride on Sunday am then?

I like the idea – not sure about the timing though. If the weather’s good we might take the kids out to Brechfa.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Nah – another mtb-wales exile…

aaaah maybe your the infamous Caer aka ant!!! ;o)

MTB wales is dead long live mtb wales.

the angry farmer is near the angry farmers muddy field at the top of the ridgeway!!, you cross a single lane tarmaced road in front of his farm!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Is he angry? Never had a problem with him… His dog is a bit barky, but seems to be tied up usually. His cows get in the way of the trail sometimes tho.

Ok Rkk – just seems silly to be sat on here talking about trails when we could be out riding them 🙂

Have you lot ridden the steep drop past the big beech tree at Coesau Whips, on the way down to Rudry?

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

no his dog is loose and the farmer is usually tied up. it’s safer that way round!!

jezdavies
    Free Member

I think the reason the farmer was angry with you Dr NR is because he can hear you coming over the hill when you’re still in Thornhill!

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

What’s that coming over the hill, is it a dr??!!

Ambrose

I wondered where MTB-Wales had gone. Here you all are.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

yep ambrose seems everyone is here or on facebook!

Shame mtbwales faded out but there were some peeps with some serious issues on there in the end

robkhoo
    Free Member

I’m robkhoo, innit. How you doing Dr Nick?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘In Cardiff’ is closed to new replies.