Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • In Car Media System Ideas for the Kids
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

Currently have a pair of DVD players on the headrests for the kids in the back of the car – but DVD has started to play up and needs replacing!

Was thinking rather than going for DVD having some sort of media player thing in the front for us to control from USB/SD Card or something and slave screens in the rear.

Can’t use the existing screens (Nextbase) has they have bespoke cabling (typically!)

Anyone done anything similar or have any suggestions for screens that are 12V and take standard AV inputs to a media “thing!?

Can get a replacement Nextbase DVD player for about £55-£60 so don’t want to spend much more if I can help it.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I used a couple of cheap Samsung tablets and some after-market mounts.

smurfly13
    Free Member

I have 3 kids so need both things to play the same to save arguments!!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

and slave screens in the rear.

Can’t call them slaves anymore.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I use one of these to stream to the kids tablets (link below). They go anywhere so not just for car, the kids can watch different things so pretty flexible.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-98243-MediaShare-Wireless/dp/B00CZ0P0PS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486939928&sr=8-2&keywords=wireless+mediashare

allthegear
    Free Member

Pub cricket??

Rachel

SaxonRider

Have you considered getting them to look out the window? 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My kids use the window. for about 5 minutes before the “Are we nearly there yet?” starts. Then 10 minutes later the bickering and arguing starts which turns any journey not matter how long or short into hell. Long journeys without some form of entertainment is just subjecting yourself to self inflicted misery.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I used a couple of cheap Samsung tablets and some after-market mounts.

This was going to be my suggestion too. You get more value out of them as they have the tablets too.

I have 3 kids so need both things to play the same to save arguments!!

Aren’t three individual options better than one when it comes to ending arguments?

You could buy a new S class, you bloody cheapskate!

Kryton57

My kids use the window. for about 5 minutes before the “Are we nearly there yet?” starts. Then 10 minutes later the bickering and arguing starts which turns any journey not matter how long or short into hell. Long journeys without some form of entertainment is just subjecting yourself to self inflicted misery.

I’m sorry I’m afraid I find that/this view rather selfish. To inflict hours of staring at screens to several kids as substitute for your intolerance, unimagintiveness or behavioural teaching abilities is very sad for them. By all means let them watch something for part of the journey, but for gods sake let them use thier brains and not become fix-stared tablet addicts.

mt
    Free Member

We played I-Spy for hours as kids, mind we had an imaginative mum n dad who could make car games fun for hours. We did do a bit of the “are we there yet”.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Krypton – how much of their lives do you think mine or anyone else’s kids spends in the back seat of the car on long journeys?

In my case it is approximately 18 maybe 20 hours out of a 8,760 hour year, and maybe a third of those are journeys at night so they’ll be asleep.

Hardly a significant amount of time to be ‘fobbing’ them off. The vista’s of a traffic jam on one of our wonderful motorways or main roads is hardly stimulating for anyone of any age – especially two young balls of energy who are not keen on sitting still at any time.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Books, magazines, music players, iSpy, singing etc etc.
    Regular stops to run about and get some fresh air?

Bream
    Free Member

Personally I got sick of the Nextbase units with scratched DVDs and my kids wanting to watch different things. Bought a supposedly better quality Philips setup, well they were more expensive and after 1 journey I returned them to the shop, as they were worse than the Nextbase.

I then instead bought a 2nd hand iPad 2, we already had 1, and the kids now watch these on long journeys sat in headrest holders. Have them both wifi connected to a hardrive with about 100 films on, added bonus is they can also play their games as well.

If that all fails, they look out the window

johndoh
    Free Member

We have DVD players that have SD card slots too. Nothing fancy – <£100 from PC World.

pocpoc
    Free Member

3 kids, one Amazon Fire HD tablet hung in it’s case over a belt pulled tight between the front headrests.
    Can normally find something they’ll all watch, usually a film rather than a tv programme.
    Download stuff off Amazon prime (and now Netflix!) to watch offline.

andy8442
    Free Member

A Kindle Fire each, plus headphones, plus a couple of mounts off eBay Job done.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Thanks for your suggestions.

We want to stick with someone on the seats that play the same thing rather than individual so pretty much rules our tablets.

And just so we are clear – we do do games and window watching etc etc but sometimes its nice for them and nice for us!

Kryton57

wobbliscott – Member
    Krypton – how much of their lives do you think mine or anyone else’s kids spends in the back seat of the car on long journeys?

In my case it is approximately 18 maybe 20 hours out of a 8,760 hour year, and maybe a third of those are journeys at night so they’ll be asleep.

That just serves to make you sound even more intolerant than your post I commented on.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘In Car Media System Ideas for the Kids’ is closed to new replies.