Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • In car listening – spoken word type stuff – any recommendations?
  • Rich_s

Evening all. I’m now spending quite a few hours a week on the motorways and am finding that I just can’t listen to music all the time anymore.

I’ve tried R4 which is good between 6-7, R4extra has some very interesting things on it occasionally, I’m not interested in football so 5 live is of limited value.

What other options are there?

Has anyone tried books? Any recommendations? I did grab a copy of the 7 habits to try a bit of self-help but lost interest.

Any other dab channels I should try? I swear I tried the whole lot in the 4.5 hour journey last night!

chomp
    Free Member

Podcasts and Audio Books are the only way relatively) sane while on the commute

There’s loads of podcasts that are worth a listen, either factual/comedic or fictional.

I’ve been listening to Scott Siglers back catalogue of audio book podcasts and if that’s your kind of thing (scifi boys own fiction) then they’re worth a try. As is ‘We’re Alive’ – a zombie podcast novel.

I also listen to a bunch of film/gaming/tech ones as well – Stuff by Frogpants studios are good (providing you like the subject matter).

Best of all, they’re all free so just download a selection and see what you like

somafunk

“David Byrne – Bicycle Diaries” is very good, an insight into his philosophical view of life and creative inspiration dressed up as his travel journal, or so I thought anyway.

pondo

We listen to a lot of desert island discs driving on holiday, they help pass a journey well if it’s someone interesting.

flannol
    Free Member

Audiobooks are a good bet

Get an audible.co.uk 2 book subscription and never get bored again commuting.

Also check out iTunes’s extensive library of podcasts. It’s essentially on demand radio – the people you want to listen to, talking about the things which interest you.

Dunno if you’re a geek, I am, I listen to “this week in tech” (with leo laporte) every monday morning.

pomona
    Free Member

RHLSTP

JoeG
    Free Member

Get a woman! If there’s silence, you did something wrong… 😉

darrell
    Free Member

Harry Potter books read by Stephen Fry

racefaceec90

anything by henry rollins.

abbot
    Free Member

RHLSTP! (for pomona)

Also rhefp and aiotm.

Comedy of the week & Friday night comedy from the BBC.

No such thing as a fish

Answer me this

Alex Horne breaks the news

The leviathan chronicles

Pilgrim from radio 4

Cabin pressure

Party by Tom basden

chojin
    Free Member

We’re 9 replies in and no one has mentioned TIMC?
    The Infinite Monkey Cage, to the uninitiated.

Plenty of episodes for your to catch up on: Go go go!

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

Another vote for Henry Rollins and Were Alive.
    Jake bibles stuff isn’t too bad either.

BillMC

Joyce’s Ulysses performed by the RTE players in 1982, stunning and makes the work accessible. 33 disks for £70 on Amazon.

myti
    Free Member

The hitch hikers guide to the galaxy radio 4 dramatization. First heard this in the car as a child still get it out every now and again for a listen.

Murray

Radio 4 xtra for Round the Horn, Goon Show etc. And Audible.

maccruiskeen

Forspoken word

Under milkwood
    Sir Henry at rawlinson end

Than as podcasts

This American life
    A prarie home companion
    Robin and Jodie’s utter shambles
    Isy Sutties love letters
    Snap judgement
    99% invisible

TooTall
    Free Member

Radio 4 podcasts. I couldn’t live without TIMC in my life.
    As said up there – Rollins – but be prepared for some dark times with him. Well worth it tho.

BoardinBob

Hardcore history podcast

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hh

Rich_s

Wow, some great pointers there. Thanks everyone. Will have a dabble.

From the geeky point of view, I have occasionally lucked into some R4 reruns on some topics. The other night I heard Rory Bremner trying to spoof accents to defeat a voice recognition system – c.2007 – and found it fascinating so I will be hunting out more of that sort of thing.

jamest
    Free Member

Dan Carlin Hardcore History – really good – lots of detail on broad subjects, see also his common sense podcast .

andy8442
    Free Member

Anything by Alan Partridge. BBC, From our own correspondent,IPM,Crossing Continents,Simon Mayo Film Review, R4 comedy 1/2 hour,In our Time.

Then Pharalle Williams’ new album for a bit noise.

brooess
    Free Member

+1 for comedy rather than factual stuff, especially old radio comedy – Morcambe and Wise, Peter Cooke/Beyond The Fringe etc

Careful tho that it’s not too funny – you might crash, or at the very least get weird looks from other drivers 🙂

tortoisenothair
    Free Member

Podcasts are the way to go;
    telegraph cycling podcast
    bespoke radio5
    the bike shoe resonance fm

the danny baker show
    frank skinner absolute radio

car talk NPR

These keep me going though my commute to work

hels
    Free Member

Another vote for the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy – it hasn’t dated at all, still brilliant.

hels
    Free Member

I tried a few audiobooks on the bus – comedy works best, otherwise I would kind of drift off, not a good idea if driving. The Terry Pratchett books are good, but get a bit samey after a while.

Rich_s

I’ve borrowed some Goon Show ‘classics’ from a neighbour. I will be giving them straight back ;o)

bikemike1968
    Free Member

“How to train your dragon” read by David Tennant.
    A kids book but brilliant.

Cougar

+1s for Cabin Pressure, TIMC and H2G2.

nedrapier

more podcasts:

WTF – Marc Maron
    The Bugle – Jon Oliver and Andy Zaltzman

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

Just William would be a terrible idea if you’re prone to giggling fits, like me.

chorlton
    Free Member

A ton of R4 podcasts. Try Meet David Sedaris. Very funny.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘In car listening – spoken word type stuff – any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.