Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • In car DVD players
  • sailingneil
    Free Member

I am thinking about getting an in car DVD player to keep junior sailor happy on long journeys. Does anyone have any recommendations?

popstar
    Free Member

We give to our 2year old an ipad, he himself sorts out whatever he wants watching videos or play games.

sailingneil
    Free Member

Unfortunately the budget doesn’t stretch to an iPad

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a pair ourselves for Private Kronos and Lieutenant Kronos respectively. It is a long, long way to Cornwall!

The ones in Halfords looked okay and cheap!

midlifecrashes

Still, a cheap tablet would do the job better than cheap portable dvd players, which are flimsy. Alternatively a Nintendo DS, then play movies through that?

DrP

Cut a 16:9 hole in a sheet of cardboard, stick it to the window, and call it “Disney’s Cars 2 -the M27 heads west” or something….

DrP

mattbee

Where are you? I have a 12v dvd player and 9″ screen setup you can have for nowt, but it would probaably cost about £20 to post. I’m just outside Portsmouth.

toys19
    Free Member

We usetablets now too. Work brilliantly.

joeyj
    Free Member

We currently have two sets dual screen for the two boys and they are great and can play either the same film or independent ones. Got them from the Argos Clearance warehouse in Stanley County Durham but they also have an ebay shop paid about £25ish for the dual screens. Most in car dvd players are good as they get battered by the kids changing disks but my only recommendation would be to get one with a battery and not just to run on 12v in car so they can take them out also

davosaurusrex

mattbee – if the OP doesn’t want it I’d love to take it off your hands, could collect as well

dazz
    Free Member

we went from a dvd player to a tablet too, much easier for mini me, no wires trailing round, no dvd’s to swap over & much easier to hide out the way when you do a mid journey stop, they have games on them as well, so once they’re bored of films it’s something else to do before they start with “are we there yet?”

DrP

On a serious note – what ‘seat mounts’ do you lot recommend for mounting an iPad?
    Don’t really want it to just be ‘hand held’.

DrP

clubber
    Free Member

We’ve got a dual DVD and it’s been very useful but we rarely drive for more than 2 hours (and even if we do, we’d stop every couple of hours) so swapping DVDs isn’t an issue.

We’ve just got my almost 5 year old son a new tablet – £60 from Amazon (Sssssssssss…) and while it physically feels cheap compared to our more ‘premium’ tablets, it works fine (eg apps work smoothly), seems robust enough and he loves it and it allows us to put videos and games on it so that he can choose what to watch/play himself.

This one for reference:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ARBAXGI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

messiah
    Free Member

In the spirit of STW 😉

Kids need to learn how to deal with being Bored.

clubber
    Free Member

There’s plenty of time for that too 😉

DrP

I’ve picked up a suggestion from that link – instead of an in car DVD player, you should play a game of “ raising livestock for meat, eggs, or milk“…. 😉

DrP

(I actually strongly believe in the sentiment of the link – good read there)

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Used to have a portable DVD that my little girl just held … it was alright, bit of a faff carrying all the discs.

But Mrs iphone is better, as no doubt an ipad will be when we get around to buying one.

davosaurusrex

Yep, good read but we do most of that already, don’t see the harm in a DVD to break up the boredom of driving to Germany which we do a couple of times a year, rest of the time it would be stowed away in the loft

DrP

…don’t see the harm in a DVD to break up the boredom of driving to Germany which we do a couple of times a year..

You could break up the boredom by letting the kids take the wheel for a stretch of motorway autobahn…??

You out over the weekend at all?

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

I fancy getting these for really long journeys, so that we can do all day trips to Scotland or the South of France or whatever. I wouldn’t use them for shorter trips though for the reasons mentioned above. Lil Grips #1 is a great traveller, and she spends her time looking out of the window and talking about what she sees. #2 is still a bit young for that, but perhaps it’s cos she’s too short to see out of the window properly 🙂

I also think I’d rather have screens playing one movie through the car speakers, rather than individual headphones and screens. That way we’re doing something as a family rather than shutting ourselves off.

davosaurusrex

Could be DrP, got anything in particular in mind?

DrP

Working Sunday am…. but might try and get out Sat am for a quick blast on my weird hybrid cross drop-bar alfine bike I’ve built up….

DrP

Gunz
    Free Member

I’ve been forcing my kids to listen to Queen’s Greatest Hits for a while now so they know all the words and we can shout a lot as we sing along.
    This may not help the OP.

clubber
    Free Member

or your kids 😉

sailingneil
    Free Member

Thanks for offer Mattbee I am in Scotland so a wee bit too far.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘In car DVD players’ is closed to new replies.