Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Things to do in and around Bilbao in February?
  • oldtennisshoes

Mrs and Junior 1 OTS have had the lurgy most of Christmas. We’ve got skiing to look forward to at Easter, but I’m considering a cheap getaway in February. It looks as though we can get cheap flights to Bilbao (from Edinburgh) and I’m toying with the idea of just booking them for a change of scene.

I don’t mind a bit of driving, but what/where is there to do in February – will it be too wet and cold to be outddoors much?

TIA

Leku
    Free Member

The weather that time of year can be mixed. I’ve had both snow and 18 degrees and blue skies that time of (different) the year.

One day could be Gernika for a wander around (45 min drive from Bilbao), then Urdaibai Bird Center then Laida beach (great bar on the beach – Atxarre Taberna Kafetegia).

Another good day would be San Juan de Gazteluatxe (with Chicken and chips at Eneperi at the top)
    http://www.eneperi.com/inicio

Mackem

As above, weather very unpredicatable.

Other possible days out – Use the metro to go to Las Arenas and see the hanging bridge. Have a little walk along the river. further along the metro you have Plentzia, a nice coastal town, go walking and watch the surfers. Nice little walk up to the Lighthouse for good views.

If you go to Gernika have a look inside the Basque parliament, nice little building and the museum there is ok.

Day trip to San Sebastian is doable.

If weather is good, theres a nice, easy walk from Apatamonasterio that takes you under Anboto, the bar at the end of the path is “Etxebarri” which was in “The trip, Spain” – you can just go in for coffee and pintxo.

Edukator
    Free Member

Take the bus to

Portugalete and take a trip out on the bridge and back on the boat.

Edit, I’d go to Taragona in february.

oldtennisshoes

Thanks guys

doug_basqueMTB.com

As the guys above have said it’s our wettest time of year but when it’s nice it’s really nice. Plenty to do if it’s wet and if you can be bothered hiring a car you can often drive a little south and the weather is totally different. Raining? Day trip to Pamplona or La Rioja. Sunny? As above or just wander round and eat / drink and enjoy. San Sebastián is 1:10 on the bus, really easy but it’s going to be the same weather more or less. You must be able to bus to Pamplona too and it’s normally different weather.

oldtennisshoes

Quite happy to hire a car.

BigJohn

A getaway in February is either Canaries or Cape Verde.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in and around Bilbao in February?’ is closed to new replies.