Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • In a change from the usual 'What for?' series. Micro 4/3s content.
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

What lens for riding pics/videos?

Ive just got a Panasonic GF2 with a couple of lenses, I know a few of you guys have micro 4/3s cameras so you might be able to help more than others. I dont really want to be taking a 3 lenses round CyB this weekend but also want to get decent pics. Here are the lenses I have to choose from 9-18mm 20mm and a 45-200mm. I have taken most of my photos with the 20mm so far and really like it plus it is fast, small and light so wont take up much room in my bag. Im slightly concerned about it being fixed length and the lack of zoom so I might miss some opportunities.

Any body have any opinions?

5thElefant
    Free Member

For my m4/3 I have…

17mm f2.8
    24mm f2.8
    25mm f1.4
    35mm f1.8
    35mm f2.5
    50mm f1.2
    75mm f1.4
    135mm f2.8
    180mm f3.5
    200mm f3.3
    14-42mm f3.5-5.6

Most are nice old manual focus lenses, which are ideal for video (and very cheap).

I’d be happy with just 17mm and 50mm. At a push just the 50mm.

Not sure if that helps as it really depends on how/what you want to do things.

Personally I find ‘opportunities’ a nightmare. The only way I can get results is to plan exactly what I want in advance, knowing what lenses I’ll need and then get the shots I want.

I_Ache
    Free Member

bloody hell 5th do you carry that lot found in a suitcase?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Funnily enough… 😆

Nah. I plan in advance and take what I need. Rarely more than 3-4 lenses.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Can you elaborate a bit on when you say ‘how/what you want to do things.’

Im a bit of a photography novice and while I know a bit and how to change settings to get closer to the pic I’m after I dont look at things ahead and plan stuff out. Its a bit more hit and miss for me.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Decide what you’re trying to achieve: to document your trip for example.

So what shots do you want to document the trip?

Landscape shots? Action shots? What kind of action shots? Taken up close or taken from a long way off? In dark woods or in the open? Shots in the pub afterwards?

Even have a look on flickr and find 20 shots that look like ones you want to recreate. It’s a lot easier to spot opportunities for shots you have already ‘planned’ than to make it all up on the spot.

Once you know what you’re taking you can figure out what lenses you’ll need and you can even figure out what techniques to use, all in advance.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘In a change from the usual 'What for?' series. Micro 4/3s content.’ is closed to new replies.