Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Improve my puncture resistance
  • mlbaker
    Free Member

Having had 3 punctures in 3 consecutive days I want to improve my commuter setup.

Currently run tubes and Continental CX Speed tires.

Options I have are:
    1. Puncture resistant tyres but I do like my current ones and hear Schwalbe Marathons etc. Aren’t great for grip, are heavy and is the most expensive option
    2. Tubeless, would have to be ghetto style
    3. Sealant in my tubes- probably of most interest
    4. Latex tubes (?)

Any thoughts most welcome

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Maybe you’ve got something sharp stuck in your tyre? Or the’yre worn out?

jekkyl

get a car? 😉

mlbaker
    Free Member

Tyres are good and I’ve got a cat but cycling in the cold and wet is more fun

dovebiker

Most CX tyres have zero puncture protection – use something more durable like a Schwalbe Marathon if you don’t want punctures

6079smithw
    Free Member

tyre liners ftw
    don’t listen to the haterrrrz

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Do not leave it where it may be mistaken for hair mouse

tjagain

Conti protection tyres lighter grippier and faster than marathons, almost puncture proof. I go over mine every few months and take a dozen bits of glass out of the tread

mlbaker
    Free Member

Cheers all, I use the cx tires as I can commute some of it off road.

Anyone use sealant in their tubes?

tjagain

I have done but it doesn’t work well – conti travel contact are a 50/50 tyre and what I use. NO punctures in 5000 miles of commuting across edinburgh

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I had Schwalbe marathon green guards on my commuter for three years of on/off road 25 mile each way commuting. No punctures.

Slightly slower tyres are still quicker than stopping to fix a flat. And they make you stronger !!

And they were £23 from crc.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I would say tubeless, but not sure how reliable that is with CX tyres & wheels.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Solid, punctureless tyres? 😆

Was the brand called “Green” in the mid 1990s? Quite possibly Definitely the worst set of tyres I ever had on any bike, even worse than the OEM Mission Commands that came on the Wazoo! 😯

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Improve my puncture resistance’ is closed to new replies.