Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Impromptu long weekend skiing in Scotland…
  • For a group of lads…

Would it be possible – i.e. would there be anywhere half decent to stay, or is it all booked up months in advance?

nbt

Very few people book in advance for skiing in Scotland, it’s very much a case of checking the forecast, finding somewhere to stay then setting off

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, as above. Sadly, if you want snow and skiing guaranteed, far better to look at a short transfer resort in Europe.

matt_outandabout

Be prepared to stay a few miles travel away, and you should be OK for accommodation.
    Hire of skis and boots is another issue however.

scotroutes

Would it have to be a weekend? Accommodation and equipment hire would be much more available midweek. On a decent weekend day it can take 3 hours to get kit, queue into the car park, queue for uplift tickets and queue for uplift.

Would it have to be a weekend? Accommodation and equipment hire would be much more available midweek. On a decent weekend day it can take 3 hours to get kit, queue into the car park, queue for uplift tickets and queue for uplift

Being self employed midweek would make it very expensive and Europe for a weekend would then definitely be more viable.

It’s only an idea for a change from the usual biking weekends at this stage

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Grew up skiing in the Cairgorms. Enjoyed the character building weather and rock hoping, gave me a solid purposeful skiing style! Lived in Edinburgh then though.

Looked into the idea a while back but worked out I could be in Chamonix in about an hour longer travel time from Sheffield. Cheap flights and a hostel and it wasn’t much more expensive. Easyjet do a late flight home on Monday. I’ve done a full day to last runs, pizza in resort and home for not much after midnight!

peterfile
    Free Member

Make it as impromptu as possible.

Put it this way, i’m heading up first thing tomorrow on a dubious (well, actually terrible) forecast, and fully expect to turn around when I get there, then go do something else.

Such is skiing in Scotland 🙂

scotroutes

You could always book accommodation and bring/hire bikes to do some riding instead? 😆

TheDTs
    Free Member

What gravity said, flew back from Geneva on Monday night. Flew into Geneva on Thursday evening, hire car, 1 hour to Morillons, stayed in the Best western, We’ve done this for the last 3 years, the key is flight times for your local airport and choosing a resort close the other end like Flash said. Great for an extra 4 cheeky days on the snow especially if the Grandpearents can have the kids!
    Downside, weekends that close to Geneva and othe large cities tend to be busy on the slopes, especially if the snow is good.

piemonster

Such is skiing in Scotland

LOL

Although a bit rash to assume you’ll actually get there before turning back.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Also we’ve found you are only there for a few days so you don’t need the big resorts with hundreds of KM f skiing and rocking nightlife. So this keeps costs down for lift pass and accomodation. I would avoid Febuary though, busy everywhere.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

If there are a few in the group then hire car and stay in the Ibis in Sallanches?

Les Houches, Flaine, Combloux, Megeve, Contamines or even La Cluzaz all pretty close to explore of pick based on weather.

Done this before on £90 flight and £30 a double room so pretty cheap.

scotroutes

peterfile – Member
    Make it as impromptu as possible.
    Put it this way, i’m heading up first thing tomorrow on a dubious (well, actually terrible) forecast, and fully expect to turn around when I get there, then go do something else.

If you were heading for the Gorms then I hope you called it off or went for a walk instead. Still, 15″ of fresh snow in the car park bodes well…

legend
    Free Member

If you were heading for the Gorms then I hope you called it off or went for a walk instead. Still, 15″ of fresh snow in the car park bodes well…

until you realise that the snow has just drifted off everything that was previously skiable 🙂

fasthaggis

Stay in Dundee ,ski Glenshee…(check weather/conditions,then drive up for 1st lift in the morning it’s 45 mins away).

or

Stay in Fort Bill and ski Nevis range or Glencoe (looks like better snow cover in the West).

or

Stay Aviemore and do the Gorms

peterfile
    Free Member

Scotroutes…arrived at Glencoe carpark at 8.30am after getting stuck behind a souped up VW with slicks(!) On the access road. Bit risky given the horrific MWIS forecast (up to 100mph wind).

Incredible conditions (20 – 30 cm powder) and light winds until about 2pm then MWIS’s repuation was restored 🙂

shifter
    Free Member

Done it a few times. The best went: start driving Friday lunchtime (from Lincs for me), find random B&B somewhere on the A9, Cairngorm all day Saturday, drive Fort Will for another B&B, ride Nevis Sunday am, ride Glencoe Sunday pm, leave about 4, in bed before midnight.
    It’s mad, but just about works. With a group you’d probably want to guarantee the first night with a Premier somewhere in the middle of Scotland. There’s always a chance you may not be riding, but there’s always options: go home or go pub.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Glencoe has Hobbit houses that are fifty quid a night for four people. The bar is open for food and drink in the evening.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Impromptu long weekend skiing in Scotland…’ is closed to new replies.