Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Impossible to fit Kenda 29er tyres on Stans crest rims
  • LukeHurst
    Free Member

What a nightmare! I’ve just spent the last couple of hours trying to get a set of Kenda Nevegal 29er tyres on to my Stans Crest 29er rims but with no success.

I’ve tried lubing the rim and soaking the tyre in hot water. I’ve stretched the bead all the way around by placing my foot inside and pulling the other end.

Anyone else have this problem ? I’m thinking of just getting some different tyres. I don’t like Kenda’s anyway and only planned to fit them until I get some Nobby Nic’s.

Luke.

nedrapier

SB8s were tight on my 355s to start with.

Have you made sure the beads in the centre well all the way round?

uplink
    Free Member

Have you got Stan’s tape fitted?
    If so they are tight but doable

You need to try to roll the last bit on with the heel of your hands rather than a lever as that needs extra clearance – does that make sense?
    You also need to make sure the rest of the tyre is in the well

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Surely that’s a good opportunity to justify a new pair or lighter, less draggy tyres!

LukeHurst
    Free Member

Have you made sure the beads in the centre well all the way round?

Yeah, I even tried fitting one of the tyres to a rim without a rim tape on to see if that was causing the issue. I would say that I still have a good 6-8 inches of bead to get over the rim when it’s at it’s tightest point.

LukeHurst
    Free Member

Surely that’s a good opportunity to justify a new pair or lighter, less draggy tyres!

These tyres are simply a stop gap so that I can go for a ride Friday night and then I’ll be fitting Racing Ralphs or Nobby Nic’s in a couple of weeks.

Clink

Be great if you get a flat that won’t seal in winter and need to put a tube in! 😯

LukeHurst
    Free Member

Have you got Stan’s tape fitted?

I’ve got Zefal rim tape fitted and it’s 22mm as per Stans website. As above, I’ve even tried fitting to a rim without a tape on. I’m not using tyre levers as I don’t want to damage/mark the brand new white rims.

Luke.

steve_b77
    Free Member

They are 29″ tyres arent they ❓

LukeHurst
    Free Member

Yep they are 29″ tyres. 55-622 to be exact.

Raindog
    Free Member

They are 29″ tyres arent they

LOL – now that would have been funny

lipseal
    Free Member

They can be a pain in the arse to get tyres on but they will fit, you just need to give them hands a good work out 😉 What works for some doesn’t work for others. As said make sure the bead in in the center and just work the tyre on the rim, get them thumbs pumpin!

gee
    Free Member

Use tyre levers. They can be damn impossible without.

GB

tk46hal
    Free Member

I had the same issue with mine! 🙁
    Lots of levers, a mate to give you an extra arm and to stop the other levers from flying all over the place and so you can do the final bit of the tyre and Fairy washing up liquid. I finally managed, but what a pain in the bum. I still have tubes in mine and I have had punctures! It’s a lot easier after the tyres have bedded in and stretched a little. 😆
    Good luck! 😉

tk46hal
    Free Member

Raindog!

Very funny, but good point! 😆

islandman
    Free Member

Been trying to fit speedkings to crest 26ers lately, just couldn’t do it tubeless. Put a tube in to see what would happen and was staggered to find out how much pressure was needed for the tube to push the tyre on even with plenty of soapy water. All then became clear, try it, track pumps only though. Without a compressor I’ve got no chance, co2 inflators won’t manage it. Good luck mate.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

AVOID the racing ralphs, great grip on the trails but a pig to seat tubeless and delicate in 29er form

I’ve got Maxxis UST Ardent front and Crossmark rear and they are tight (not impossible) to get onto my Stans ZTR rims but they seated beautifully and got them pumped up with a track pump instead of usual Co2 inflator.

takisawa2

Get as much as you can on, then hold the wheel with the remaining bit of tyre on the floor, stand on the tyre & lever the wheel upwards (with the tyre protecting the rim). Think a small repetetive levering action. It will go. My SB8’s are a snug fit on me TN719’s. I tried hanging a tight tyre overnight once, with a heavy weight but it barely made a difference.
    Leaving them at about 45-50psi overnight might stretch them a bit.

LukeHurst
    Free Member

Well I had a second attempt last night…

After 10-15 mins of messing around and some sore fingers, I finally managed to get one side of the tyre on the rim only to discover I had it orientated wrong!!! so off it came and I vowed to never buy Kenda tyres again.

Thanks for the tips/help everyone. I’ve got some cheap Maxxis tyres on the way (bought via these forums) to try and then I’ll decided what to get in readiness for Thetford summer enduro on July 9th….

Luke.

rob2
    Free Member

I don’t understand crest rims, they are a nightmare to get tyres on. Surely someone at stans tested them when they were designing them?

Every tyre I have used has been a nightmare!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I can easily put Maxxis EXc, Schwalbe evo and snakeskin, Bontrager TLR on my crest 29 rims. Kenda must come up small. Dint forget that all No Tubes rims are designed for normal Tyres to be run tubeless not tubeless specific tyres which are a lot tighter.

ratadog

I am mightily cheered by this thread for I couldn’t get 29er SB8s onto 29er Flows for love nor money. They came up well short and then, to add insult to injury, the OP and I got given a degree of grief on this thread for having the temerity to suggest that they might be a little bit incompatible with the Stan’s profile.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I don’t understand crest rims, they are a nightmare to get tyres on. Surely someone at stans tested them when they were designing them?
    Every tyre I have used has been a nightmare!

Not all gyres – I have crest 26 and arch 29 – not had a tyre I can’t get on yet. Some have been tighter than others (conti) but had maxxis, spesh and bonty and all have gone on and inflated with a track pump

LukeHurst
    Free Member

I am mightily cheered by this thread for I couldn’t get 29er SB8s onto 29er Flows for love nor money. They came up well short and then, to add insult to injury, the OP and I got given a degree of grief on this thread for having the temerity to suggest that they might be a little bit incompatible with the Stan’s profile.

I don’t care what anyone says, the fit is tight and too much so IMO. I’ve fitted dozens of 700c folding tyres (road variety) to many different rim combo’s including the use of big, floppy latex tubes and I’ve never struggled as much as I did trying to fit the Kenda’s to the Crest rims.

I guess some people will get them to work and perhaps some tyres come up slightly slacker than others. I personally wouldn’t want the hassle of such a tight tyre out on the trial, hence me giving up on them and going for something else. I just hope the new tyres fit!!

ratadog

I personally wouldn’t want the hassle of such a tight tyre out on the trial, hence me giving up on them and going for something else. I just hope the new tyres fit!!

I entirely agree. I went for a combination of Maxxis Ardent and Aspen and had no problems

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Impossible to fit Kenda 29er tyres on Stans crest rims’ is closed to new replies.