Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Impossible question but give it a go please…carbon frame content.
  • rockhopper70

So….it’s a carbon fibre road frame involved in an RTA. NO visible damage but bike shops says scrap it as a precaution. £2,400!!!!
    Surely there is some tolerance on strength. Does no visible damage, scuffs scrapes or scratches whatsoever suggest the frame may be ok.
    Is it only x-ray that can detect what may be lurking under those dark strands?

Mackem

Stick it on ebay.

ziggy
    Free Member

suggest the frame may be ok

Maybe

The issue is if the shop in question is wrong and it fails then they could be held liable.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can get it non destructively tested I believe – at that cost maybe its worth it unless its on someone elses insurance and even then??/

paulosoxo
    Free Member

How do you feel about riding it?

druidh
    Free Member

If it was me/mine, I’d be considering just how much impact was involved and at what sort of angle.

rockhopper70

it’s not my frame….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Whos frame then?

A shop will always say to replace a carbon frame as they would be liable if it failed later and they had said it was OK

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

The default answer on any RTC (road traffic collision) as it now has to be termed (implying someone is liable) is scrap the frame.
    If you buy it as scrap and build it, there is no reason why it can’t be used again on a public highway as there’s no MOT test for cycles.
    But would you want that on your conscience?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I had a carbon road frame break around and along the top tube. I only realised it when descending Schiehallion at 40mph+. I wouldn’t risk it. If the collision was caused by another party in a car. Their insurance should cover it.

I kept my frame after a replacement was supplied by Giant at cost. It hangs on the garage wall as a totem to what could have been….

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d probably keep riding it.

“invisible damage” LOLs.

toys19
    Free Member

go to bed Al..

trail_rat
    Free Member

did you have an RTA with someone on a 2400 quid bike frame ?

put it this way – if it was your 2400 quid bike and someone had driven into you – how would you want it dealt with ?

on the other hand if you have the chance of buying it off an insurance company then your life in your hands …..

i had one that i wrote replace frame on the quote due to the frame being short on its paint – due to the crash ….. nothing wrong with the alloy frame i could see but because it had paint missing i had to say new frame time to the insurance co ! – do remember if its not the bike owners fault then he is within his right to have his frame returned to its previous non crashed state !

on a side note – was shown a merida scultura frame that had headon hit a car that was on the wrong side of the road coming round a corner – only the top tube had snapped. owner was ok except road rash though !

rOcKeTdOg

paint it a garish colour and sell it to pyscle

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Impossible question but give it a go please…carbon frame content.’ is closed to new replies.