Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • importing stuff from USA
  • milkyman
    Free Member

I am thinking of getting a new set of fox forks talas 160 or 180, they are expensive over here and seem to be able to get them quite a bit cheaper in the USA, I can get a set of fox talas 180, 2013 deliverd for £750 instead of nearly £1000 here, is there a catch I should be aware of like warrenty issues
    thanks in advance

mrblobby
    Free Member

Does that include VAT and import duty?

milkyman
    Free Member

yes

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

Not worth it for that kind of discount, even if import duty included.

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 fly & buy

milkyman
    Free Member

said yes but now im not sure
    on ebay
    290863724120Item number:

milkyman
    Free Member

why would it not be worth it ?
    do you think there would be warrenty issues, if i saved 100 quid its better than nothing unless there are diffrent in some way

chakaping
    Free Member

why would it not be worth it ?

Risk of warranty issues is medium to high (relatively) on forks.

I’ve had to send one back to the US before and the seller was kind enough to pay my postage, but I doubt many would be.

Would you be paying US RRP?

johnellison
    Free Member

Do you think that there won’t be warrAnty issues?

You WILL get stung one way or the other for VAT and import duty, whether it’s directly from HMRC or through the carrier. Not worth it. End of.

d45yth
    Free Member

I can’t see how you think the price includes import duty? It looks to me that you’re going to pay as much as you would over here (especially if you paid the full asking price)!

aracer
    Free Member

Where on earth did you get the idea that included duty & VAT? It even says on there: “International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges.”

You’ll pay 4.7% duty IIRC and 20% VAT on that for a total of ~£950 – not such a bargain now is it?

carlos
    Free Member

Someone on here got billed iirc a couple or three weeks ago after importing a bargainresonably price bike part. Turns out that with Tax and Import Duty it was hardly cheaper than the cheapest scourced UK seller, it is however going to be a royal pita to get any kind of warranty sorted with ease as you’d have to return it to the US of A at your own cost to start with.

I’d leave alone and pay the extra £100 or so to a UK seller/shop

Carl

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘importing stuff from USA’ is closed to new replies.