Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Import MPVs – Experiences
  • Kamakazie

I’m looking for some new transport and want something van like but not as big as a Transporter so the Caddy Maxi, Connect, NV200 or ProAce are on the list.

Also looking at imported Japanese midsize MPVs like the Toyota Noah, Nissan Serena or Honda Stepwagon.

Anyone got any experiences (good or bad) with similar imports?
    Interested in reliability, ease of sourcing parts, costs to maintain etc.

voodoo_chile

Insurance can be expensive ,parts can be slightly different
    Radios work on different wavelengths ,foglight needs to be installed
    Waxoyl the chassis

tjagain

The couple I have driven had weird gearboxes – 3 sp auto with an overdrive!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

Nissan Serena was a UK vehicle .

I believe holds the accolade of slowest production vehicle of the 90s in the UK 0-60

Toyota Lucida’s seem to go on and on and on and cope well with offroad. Ours had 300000 on the clock rattled like an old screen door in the wind but got driven like a rally car every day from balkanabat to hazar across through the sand

DickBarton

They generally stink of smoke…and if they don’t, they will if left in the sun on a hot day.
    Waxoyl the chassis, make sure speedo is reconfigured for mph, take note of odometer before conversion. Rear fog light will need fitted.

takisawa2

Chap st work has a Nissan El Grand.
    Slow it most certainly isn’t, it scared the he’ll out of me. Has a 3.5 lite V6 I think.
    And so comfy, it’s like a limo inside.
    Smart looking too.
    I seriously considered one, as we tow a caravan. Heavy on juice though, 25 mpg. It’s been reliable for the few years he’s had it, commutes 70 miles a day in it.

Kamakazie

Thanks all.
    The ones I’m looking at all have fog, mph conversion and UK head units fitted by the importer.

trail_rat: The newer Serena’s certainly aren’t UK cars. I remember the old ones though.

Anyone with reliability experiences?

DickBarton

My personal experience is from a ‘performance’ car – it had been in the UK for a while (previous owner had all the documents). Everything apart from a rubber seal in a last service was ultra-reliable. Turns out the seal had been pinched when reinstalling (from a service way before I got it)…it had allowed some fluid to leak and started to corrode a swing-arm or drop-arm – I forget the name). Anyway, I had to replace that but it was due to it not being done properly previously – mileage and use was so low there was no come back as was well out the garages warranty period.

So apart from an issue that was caused by a UK garage, it was absolutely superb – it needed a fluid change every 3000 miles, and was done religiously. It also needed very regular fill ups with Super Unleaded so I ended up spending a serious amount on it just to keep it running as a daily vehicle – in hindsight, I shouldn’t have gone near it!).

Previous experiences of other cars (apart from the smell of smoke), all been very good indeed. Indicators and wipers appear to be on the wrong side on most, but after a day or so, it actually feels more natural but likely depends on where you rest your hands/arms (in a vanity moment, I discovered if I was driving with the window open and arm resting on the window sill, I could activate the indicators without moving my arms much – the left hand tended to be at the bottom of the steering wheel (unsure why!), but it meant I could be lazy and indicate to turn without moving my arms from where they were.

Sorry, rambling on now…all positive experiences for me.

khani
    Free Member

I got a Bongo from an importer and was the first U.K. owner, all the bits were done (speedo, fog light etc,) and I had it for five problem free years and sold it for pretty much what I paid for it,
    The insurance was from 2Gether and wasnt a rip off either,
    go for it..

Kamakazie

Thanks all.

findo_gask
    Free Member

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Import MPVs – Experiences’ is closed to new replies.