Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Import duty on Chinese carbon frames (direct from China)
  • clubber
    Free Member

Does anyone know what import duty I should be liable for if I bought a Chinese carbon frame (from Ali express)?

I’d also be very interested to know what duty people actually paid too.

TIA

clubber
    Free Member

bump!

ssboggy

Depends what value they put on the package. I recently had a pair of carbon 29er rims from China and they put a value of $50 on them. They got held in Parcelforce customs at Coventry for a few weeks and I ended up paying just over £20 iirc. Most of that fee was their handling charge though (£12.50 I think) Would be worth asking them to put a low value on.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Im no expert but worst case is Vat at 20%, and/or import duty ~8% (i think) plus handling fee usually about 8-15 quid.

I’ve had forks from Taiwan come right to thd door with no charge though so sometimes you get lucky…

Wrongun
    Free Member

Hi. I bought a flyxii carbon road frame and paid soemthing like £20 for my “bicycle parts $50”.

Been commuting 100 miles a week for a year on it and it hasn’t yet exploded and killed everyone!

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks guys – I do seem to recall some discussion of anti-dumping taxes in the past that was something like 50% 😯

but it doesn’t sound like that’s applied..

ssboggy

Been commuting 100 miles a week for a year on it and it hasn’t yet exploded and killed everyone!

I’ve done one ride on my carbon 29er rims and they haven’t exploded yet 😀

yetitony
    Free Member

Just got some Chinese Carbon Wheels. They were marked FOC samples but still got held by customs for a couple of weeks and then ended up paying £38. That did include the £12.50 Parcel force handling charge though.

I think some people get away with it but not many.

Sam

I *think* the anti-dumping only applies to complete bikes from China. Otherwise it should be cost + shipping + duty (4.5% on bike parts) + VAT on the whole lot.

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks Sam. if only there was a Singular for me…

IanMunro
    Free Member

I bought a 29er from flyxii and paid something in the £30-40 region including Parcel Force’s we shaft you fee.
    Only done one ride on it so far, and it too hasn’t exploded 😀

amedias
    Free Member

~ £20 on the last Frame and forks I received from China, can’t remember what the marked value was but they were described as ‘bicycle components’

b45her
    Free Member

does the “gift” thing still work? i used to order tons of RC kit from the far east and never paid a penny of duty, i just asked them to mark everything as a gift.

njee20
    Free Member

I didn’t pay anything on mine.

squealer
    Free Member

Didn’t pay anything for mine either. Incidentally mine will be for sale shortly if you’re after one. New frame should be here this week then I can strip the old one down for sale. There’s a pic of it in my old posts.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

b45her – Member
    does the “gift” thing still work? i used to order tons of RC kit from the far east and never paid a penny of duty, i just asked them to mark everything as a gift.

Adds to list with Amazon & Starbucks…..

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

I have had 7 frames in the last year and they all was around £20.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Import duty on Chinese carbon frames (direct from China)’ is closed to new replies.