Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Imperial War Museum Duxford
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Finding myself in Essex for work but getting everything done by 12, leaving 8 hours to kill until my flight home, I found this place and decided to waste some hours there.

It’s brilliant! A test Concorde you can walk through, a Lancaster you can get in (albeit closely supervised), a Vulcan with a nuclear bomb, an SR71, a dude doing acrobatics in a Spitfire, and hundreds of other planes. My favourite though was the B52, I just could not get over the size of that thing. Unbelievable.

Great place to visit if you’re nearby.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Not to mention all the tanks.
    Their Flying Legend airshow every summee is awesome too.

callmetc
    Free Member

had about 3 school trips there.

a good place from what I remember. it’s been about 10 years since I’ve been.

dannybgoode

Yeah, Duxford is brilliant. The US exhibits are good but I particularly enjoyed going in the hangers where they were restoring planes.

Need to get to a flying legends show…

badnewz
    Free Member

Just up the road from me. I went last year for the third time. I’m no military historian but it still has enough to entertain for half a day.

MoreCashThanDash

Amazing place. My dad was in the RAF 57-79, and we ended up living about 80 minutes from Duxford, used to go a lot. My parents couldn’t wait to have grandchildren to take again 20 years later!

stumpy01

Yeah, it’s amazing.

Not been for a few years, but I love it there.

We once had a work Christmas party in the American hangar with dinner and dance under the aircraft wings…

I work just up the road and we regularly get old aircraft flying over from Duxford…

withersea
    Free Member

It is a great place, the American hanger at the far end is amazing. I was amazed that I was stood next to a Blackird SR-71 last time I went.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I saw that Spitfire today banking in from the M11 end as I was on my way to Sawston, blimmin’ awesome, looked like it was going to pile into the runway from the speed & angle I was viewing it from. The Spitfire always brings a lump to my throat when performing like that. Was at the flying Legends show a few years ago when the Mustang got clipped and went in, one very lucky pilot managed to bale out at the last minute.

tor5
    Free Member

The smell of oil in the restoration hangers… I love that smell – makes me 10 again

alanl
    Free Member

Another one that’s worth a couple of hours on a nice day (lots of stuff outside) is the Mosquito museum, near where the M1 meets the M25.
    Loads of 60’s / 70’s jets where you can sit in the cockpit and wonder at all the dials and guages, along with the Mosquitos inside the hangar.
    It’s run on a limited budget (it shows), but the volunteers are doing a great job restoring the Mosquitos.

richmars

I saw that Spitfire today banking in from the M11 end as I was on my way to Sawston

He (she?) flies over our office while practising. Very nice having a Merlin in the background. Pretty crap job for the pilot, got to go and test the Spitfire again.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Imperial War Museum Duxford’ is closed to new replies.