Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • impending solar flare to cause wide spread problems in 2013
  • freeform5spot
    Free Member
    thepurist

I’ll be ready!

[edit – thought this was an amusing photo of a chap in a tin foil hat, but apparently it wasnt!]

OCB
    Free Member

There was a big CME a couple of years back that took out a number of TV and communication satellites over the Pacific. I don’t know what kinda EMP hardening they have – I’d guess ‘some’ simply to survive out there …

The sun does cycle activity, although it’s pretty quiet right now. These are statistical links between sunspot activity/CME’s and weather effects here; The activity of El Niño is well studied.

I’m sure I read somewhere that there is some research into the impacts on the efficiency of high-voltage power lines too (but I might have accidentally made that bit up).

Spaceweather is worth a look, they track flares, sunspot activity, as too, is the SOHO stuff from NASA.

rondo101
    Free Member

thepurist – jerry walsh seems to have an interesting approach to people hotlinking images from his website. Perhaps you could edit your post to remove the ladyboy?

thepurist

Ooops – thanks rondo. Seems that someone got rid of it first – sorry mods!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Don’t worry, just watch 2012 and you will be ready for every eventuality.

(Or maybe not, I am only 37 minutes in to it and don’t know how it unfolds, but I assume the US of A save the day).

miketually
    Free Member

Ace! Can we try to combine it with some more fuel protests, for that real back to the middle ages feel?

luked2
    Free Member

How we will laugh when all the cars stop working with their fancy electronics permanently fried.

Time to start stocking up on bikes right now I would think. Can’t be too careful.

tron
    Free Member

How many times has solar activity supposedly been going to ruin every electrical device on the planet? More than I care to remember.

wwaswas

this was on Radio 4 this am. Last time there was a flare that big it literally destroyed the telegraph network for the whole world. At the time this was the only real electrical network in the world.

luked2
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be the first time though that some obscure corner of science had been massively over-hyped in a (perhaps subconscious) bid to increase research funding.

Y2K, BSE, triffids, etc. All turned out to be not nearly as bad as “they” claimed.

So the telegraph network in the 1850’s got fried? How relevant is that really? That network was designed for essentially DC voltages and probably had little in the way of surge protection.

But I still think it would be prudent to buy a few more bikes, just in case.

epicyclo

luked2 – Member
    …Y2K, BSE, triffids, etc. All turned out to be not nearly as bad as “they” claimed…

It’s the Krakens you have to worry about…

ahwiles
    Free Member

don’t worry about it, by the time the flare reaches us, Global warming will have killed us all…

england in 2013:

alanf
    Free Member

Is that Doncaster ahwiles?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

could be alanf, looks like the view from the top of the old armthorpe pit tips 😛

duckman

Kind of puts paid to your World cup bid anyway.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘impending solar flare to cause wide spread problems in 2013’ is closed to new replies.