Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Immigrants anyone?
  • chiefgrooveguru

Sadly you can earn an awful lot more begging in the affluent/tourist areas of London than doing many jobs back in Romania. There was a good article on the BBC site about this recently.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Sorry footflaps!

To give you a slight insight, I was served honey and cream, not milk and sugar with my Assam this morning! Barbarians!

On a serious note, average official wage figures are 120 euro per month but food is more expensive than Germany. Unemployment figures are around 8%, 2% in Bucharest but street hawkers, beggars and homeless families are a common sight. So were Audis, BMWs and the odd Lamorghini or Ferrari despite many people not owning a car or sharing a Dacia. The wealth gap is huge and the country growing but they have on hell of a legacy to overcome.

patriotpro
    Free Member

things must be pretty shit back home

Or maybe just not as good as the place you go to…They are economic migrants still after all.

Edukator
    Free Member

But do you break into people’s houses and re-arrange their furniture?

Only if they sue me for 100 000e for running into their S class on my bike.

There are something like 5 million Brits living abroad, mostly economic migrants.

Northwind

patriotpro – Member

Or maybe just not as good as the place you go to..

If you’d quoted more of my post, I wouldn’t have to say this again, but hey… If travelling to a foreign country and sleeping rough is your preferred option, then your other option must be pretty shit. This doesn’t need a lot of analysis.

patriotpro
    Free Member

must

Sorry for focussing on what YOU wrote but my point is that it doesn’t mean that it MUST be PRETTY SHIT.

As you didn’t quote my full post, i’ll give you helping hand shall I…

In fact, nar, i’m not repeating myself. It’s up there.

Sadly you can earn an awful lot more begging in the affluent/tourist areas of London than doing many jobs back in Romania.

Saw that documentary and have to say If I was criminally minded like the folks on that documentary were, i’d be doing the same in their shoes.

Edukator
    Free Member

We slept rough in a local wood for two weeks in November when going through the formalities of setting up our business, we’d spent the previous couple of months cycling and sleeping rough to find a town where our business idea would work. We went swimming or used the toilets in the library to make ourselves presentable each day. The library staff made no comment at all when we dried our sleeping bags on the radiators. The option we’d left was teaching in a school in Leicester.

redpanda
    Free Member

“The only Romanian I know has a PhD in molecular biology and is an expert in live cell fluorescent microscopy.”

She wouldn’t be a former Olympic (possibly medal-winning) rower, would she?

Northwind

patriotpro – Member

must

Sorry for focussing on what YOU wrote but my point is that it doesn’t mean that it MUST be PRETTY SHIT.

No, you’re right, there’s obviously a good chance they just love sleeping rough in London and they’ve left a lovely life to follow the dream. Jeezo.

totalshell

i ve worked a significant part of this week in some of the poorest housing in the northwest

the people living there are clean honest humble polite they cherish thier children and live outside of the public eye

many share thier homes with extended family some of whom are brash noisy arrogant outside thier homes yet upon entering it are not.

having witnessed this week people sleeping in bathrooms and sharing bedrooms i ve contemplated why you would choose to live in such conditions..

the answer is simple.. it must be a 1000 times worse on the otherside of the world..

dont blame the immigrants they come because we are tolerant even though some of them see that as a weakness to be exploited. i’m proud to be a native of a country that others look upon as a safe haven and / or an opportunity for legitimate advancement.

where we should be intolerent is of those who seek to threaten that by abuse of the opportunities.

user-removed
    Free Member

The Romanians? What have they ever done for us?!

That barber in the article though – “we need a more permanent solution.”

I hesitate to invoke Godwin’s law but he started it…

kimbers

Redpanda pretty sure that’s not the same person

grum
    Free Member

There are something like 5 million Brits living abroad, mostly economic migrants.

How many of them are sleeping rough then? 🙄

konabunny
    Free Member

How many of them are sleeping rough then?

Probably a number not statistically significantly different from the proportion of Romanians abroad sleeping rough, I’d imagine.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well the linked article which esselgruntfuttock appears to believe provides some sort of definitive comment on “immigrants” in the UK is referring to, quote : “up to ten homeless east Europeans”

Statistically how many Brits need to be sleeping rough in Bucharest ?

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Immigrants anyone?’ is closed to new replies.