Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Imax cinemas – talk to me
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

going away for weekend and the wife fancies watching Skyfall but only place left who are taking bookings is Imax cinema. What is it? Is the big screen above your head thingy?

Last bond film I saw in cinema was living daylights so excuse my lack of knowledge 😯

nbt

If you;ve never seen a film o Imax then Bond would be an excellent introduction. It’s like a cinema but MASSIVE

alfabus
    Free Member

‘like a cinema but MASSIVE’ +1

fills your peripheral vision, so it is very engaging – easier than usual to suspend disbelief and get into a film.

We watched (the new) star trek on imax – it was pretty epic 🙂

Dave

simon_g

Proper IMAX is a squarer (taller) image – you get the special IMAX films to show it off, and some things like The Dark Knight had sequences shot on IMAX cameras to make use of the full screen.

If not, it’s a conversion process to bring it up to IMAX standards – so regular cinema widescreen (2.35:1), just on a really big screen and with excellent projection and sound.

Some good pics of the BFI London IMAX screen being replaced, to give you an idea of size, and the quality standards that IMAX venues have to adhere to: http://imgur.com/a/ygU0l

nealy
    Free Member

Imax is amazing, normal screens retrofitted with Digital Imax and brilliant but real 70mm Imax is out of this world…fortunately the director of Skyfall ignored the pressure from the execs to do it in 3D which is a huge stinking pile of sh!te

http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-theatre-real-imax-liemax/

Here’s a list of screens, you want to be going to the ones noted as 15/70 mm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMAX_venues#U.

joolsburger
    Free Member

The Waterloo Imax is enormous and impressive however I don’t go unless I book a seat at least 10 rows back.

Houns

Thanks to this thread, seat now booked for Bond at Brum

disco_stu
    Free Member

Ah cool I didn’t know there was an Imax in Brum after the one at Millenium Point became the Giant Screen thing.

haggis1978

Make sure you get there early and get a seat near the middle or back as if its anything like the science centre in Glasgow it will fill up quick and you would enjoy the experience more from those seats. That’s not to say sitting at the front is bad but there’s a lot to take in.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I’d watch out for the Imax effect with films with lots of movement. The Star trek film was very loose and made me feel a bit sick and some shots were moving so much I was pulling me head back to get away from it. Might be ace, hope it is but IMAX didn’t really work for me.

woody2000

Get some earplugs would be my advice! 😕

I saw V for Vendetta at our local Imax, ears are still ringing now!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

imax is superb and well worth the extra expense especially for a film like Skyfall. The screen is so large it fills your field of vision, the frame rate is much higher than conventional film, so no flicker an much smoother action, and the film is much larger so much better quality and definition. Also the seats are much steeper so you get no annoying heads in your field of vision. Enjoy!

white101

monday 3.30 imax at the metrocentre with the team, £43 for the comfier seats

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Imax cinemas – talk to me’ is closed to new replies.