Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Imagine if this was your morning commute to work!
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Posted on FB this morning by a guy I was at school with. Funny really because I never really knew him at school but he keeps posting these pictures of where he lives and having spent a lot of time there as a kid and prior to getting married we keep exchanging comments.

I don’t think our lives could be any more different but, looking at the picture above, something occurred to me about the life he leads and the one I have.

Your success in life has a lot less to do with what you achieve and a lot more to do with the choices you make.

I don’t think I chose badly by any stretch, but I do think he chose extremely well.

allthepies
    Free Member

Are those the woods behind Nationwide in Swindon ?

allthepies
    Free Member

Oh, and nice cleavage.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geetee1972
    Free Member

Are those the woods behind Nationwide in Swindon ?

If only thinking made it so ‘Pies 😀

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

the grass is always greener… or in this case, a little white and frosty.

binners

Pfft! Its hardly Salford, is it? Its just a load of grass, and moss and stuff. Is there anything as awe-inspiring as the sun climbing behind the majestic obelisk that is the shopping city, its first rays reflecting off the shattered windscreen of the burnt out car outside Cash Convertors….

Bregante

I agree with binners, yeah it all looks very “nice” but hardly the adrenaline rush that mine is. I did actually make a slight detour in August 2011 though because I was worried my gator skins might not have been up to the job.

The-Beard

This is mine:

Admittedly not quite as good but damn better than heading down Green Lanes into central London each day like I used to!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Beard I used to commute down Green Lanes as well! I would have been on the number 73 bus from Stokey.

Much happier now I don’t have to do that!

MSP

Pfft! Its hardly Salford, is it?

True, lets not forget when Salford is translated into Chinese is becomes a sentence that means “the shallow river crossing by the clearing in the forest”. There was apparently been a lot of disappointed Chinese immigrants when HK was handed back.

somafunk

I’ve got a choice of trails to cycle the 5 miles to my work, my fav is along the riverbank where i can see otters, kingfishers, red squirrels, all off road to within 1 mile of my workplace, quality of life rather than quantity of money for me.

There’s a lot to be said for living in Galloway 😀

nbt

This is my commute 🙂

Peep o’day panoramic by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

The-Beard

Beard I used to commute down Green Lanes as well! I would have been on the number 73 bus from Stokey.

Much happier now I don’t have to do that!

Tell me about it, I don’t miss it one bit! Not sure how I used to manage riding through the traffic either. These days if I see more than 3 cars it’s gridlock!

binners

My commute home later…

[/url] Untitled by binlidski, on Flickr[/img]

First off road one this year. Conditions are pretty much like in the picture today. The traffics awful! 😆

4 mile descent from the top of here, back home….

TURBINES 3 by binlidski, on Flickr

tacopowell
    Free Member

+1 Grass is always greener.

I lived in mid-Wales for 3 years, although extremely beautiful it was a daily struggle due to higher costs for pretty much everything, lower wages, sod all job prospects and sometimes very hostile natives.

If you can make it work, great but if you can’t, no hard cheese!

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Stop plese this is torture especially after enduring some crap from Southwest rails today…

sometimes I wish there was big bloody mountain between London and Guildford and I lived on the top… what a commute that would be (at least for one way)…. oh well back to work and dreaming

binners

Sorry. Are we coming across as a bit smug, gloaty and generally self-satisfied. Perish the thought!

Did I mention my quick one hour lunchtime loop? Not long now…..

Cheeky royton singletrack by binlidski, on Flickr

😉

somafunk

tacopowell has it right, staying in the arse end of nowhere leads to higher fuel costs/transportation costs, more expensive for general living plus low wages and you ask about job prospects? – think yourself lucky you earn minimum wage never mind asking bout career progression but i have never encountered hostile natives, apart from one red squirrel who gives me the “stare” when i pass him but i guess that’s down to him being possessive over his nuts.

I earned more 22 yrs ago when i was 18yrs old than i do now, but i’d rather earn a pittance and enjoy my life than save up for a retirement i might not see or be fit enough to make the most of.

IHN

he keeps posting these pictures of where he lives and having spent a lot of time there as a kid

Ooh, ooh, who is it, where is it? (can’t see the pic)

For what it’s worth, I’ll be moving back to the Mother Country (I assume that’s where we’re talking about) in a couple of months.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

My commute is less than a mile along a straight flat quiet-0ish (mostly) road. So very dull. But it gets me home quickly so I can go out again 🙂

charliedontsurf

I can walk down the road for ten minutes and be at the shop, or I can go over the back to the cliffs with the dog and a bike, nice three mile spin, with grassed over old quarry single track spitting me out behind the shop.

The area is a good compromise… Rolling hills, steam trains and dramatic coast… And 40 minutes on the road bike and I am in Bournemouth with all it’s modern stuff like electricity, police stations, dirty prostitutes, and murders.

And there are nice pubs to detour to….

ir_bandito
    Free Member

where is it? (can’t see the pic)

Langdale Pikes innit?

brooess
    Free Member

Quite happy with this commute, thanks 🙂

traildog
    Free Member

I used to have a beautiful commute through the countryside. Hardly saw a car and had options of some off road bridleway routes. I loved it and it meant that I didn’t change jobs when I probably should have done.
    The company was eventually sold, the bosses made a fortune and I am left with a commute down the A6 into Salford as shown above. 🙁

Still, life is what you make of it and I have discovered an interesting cycle route which I hope to explore when it brightens up a bit. It’s also much more social cycling into the big city, I’m always meeting and chatting with people on the way in now, where as I was quite lonely before.

bedmaker

Since we’re willy waving, here’s the view from my office on the NW tip of Europe yesterday 🙂

Ridiculously warm, I worked in a t-shirt all day, just beautiful up there yesterday.
    [/url]
    Untitled by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr[/img]

Packed up for the commute home, I was near crashing a few times driving through Coigach in these conditions, simply stunning.
    [/url]
    Untitled by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr[/img]

Sandwich

In winter

Bramford Church by Hamster, on Flickr
    Summer when it’s not too muddy

Bramford Church by Hamster, on Flickr

geetee1972
    Free Member

INH it’s Nipper, aka Stephen Asprey, from my year at school. He’s up in the Lakes, near Langdale.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Imagine if this was your morning commute to work!’ is closed to new replies.