Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • iMac 21.5" vs 272
  • spence
    Free Member

Don’t want to get into the pros and cons of Apple vs MS or even Linux.
    Looking at a new PC for home now I don’t have works machine, been MS since DOS version one point something or other but fancy an iMac. From the current line up is the base 27” (5k Retina) unit worth the extra £250 over the top end 21.5” (4k retina)? From what I can see, besides the extra 1k of Retina(???) the processor has an extra 0.1GHz of i5 over an i4 and the memory is user expandable by 8GB. Don’t need anything fancy in regards to photo/video, just a personal computer for “normal” stuff so will I notice the 21,5” lacking??.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Definitely get the 27. The extra screen size is worth it and imho the 21.5 will soon feel too small.

The 27 5K is on my wishlist for when my 2009 Mini finally dies (no sign yet though)

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The extra screen space comes in handy for having several window’s open at once. So the question is what are you going to be doing on it? Are you really going to be watching movies and working on several windows at once like you might at work?

I’d love the bigger screen in theory, but it’s alot more pricey and probably not worth it for the majority of normal home users. The 21″ screen is plenty big enough for just working on one thing at a time.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptJon
    Free Member

If you can, get the bigger screen.

nickdavies

Current gen 27inch is £1229 on the refurb store if that helps?

spence
    Free Member

Thanks all. Wasn’t too concerned about the actual screen size, the 21.5 is a couple of inches over the current PC and the 27 would be bigger than the TV downstairs! Thought was, is the processor increas + expandable memory option worth the extra cash, would the topend 21.5 good enough.
    Usage? Will now mainly be iTunes, photo storage, browsing and home based Office stuff along with perhaps a little map work (Basecamp probably).

footflaps

We went from 21.5 to 27″ (both non retina) and the 27″ is definitely worth the extra money.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Spence, 8GB memory is definitely enough for your needs (4 a bit tight but workable), more is a bonus but unkess you start doing a lot of video editing etc you won’t really need anymore. Everyday performance is enhanced by an ssd / fusion drive but if budget is a factor then its not worth getting a smaller screen for or pushing yourself financially. My old Mini has a hard drive (7200rpm) and it takes 2-3 mins to boot up, I out an SSD in wife’s machine and that starts in 30 seconds and loads programmes instantly but hardly “must have”. If you “sleep” the machine it wakes up in a couple of seconds anyway.

EDIT: standard 27″ good for you, very possibly you might add 1tb fusion drive if you want faster boot time, but sleep mode uses very little power and everything like disc is slept so no reason not to sleep it if you want fast reboot. That computer will last you a minimum of 5 years and probably closer to 7-10. If you want to change it you can sell it for 50-60% new price easily.

As an aside I would be tempted to look at an original model (£70) Apple TV too at some stage, that way you can set your iMac up as a media / streaming centre and revolutionise the way you watch TV and access your music. A project for the future.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Just had a quick look at the differences in specs. My thoughts, for what they are worth would be that there are three key differences to consider.

The first is the screen size. Bigger screens are like dropper posts on mountain bikes. You don’t think you need them until you try them and then you wonder how you ever coped before. The argument for a larger screen has already been above but one thing you can always do if you do get the 21″ model is add a second screen later. Non Apple screens all work just fine and are much less expensive than the Apple equivalent.

The second thing is the graphics cards, which in the 27″ is significantly better. If you are going to be doing intensive video work, processing large photographs or if you ever want to play any kind of game that has a graphics card requirement, the 27″ model is the one to choose. You’ll be able to do all these things on the 21″, but it could end up being a frustrating experience.

The third thing is the processor; you can opt to have an i7 chip in either model and if you’re going to be using applications that make a lot of use of the graphics capability, then this can also help speed things up. For example if you were doing a lot of photo editing of large RAW files but didn’t do any video editing or gaming, you could compromise by having the 21″ with the i7 processor rather than the 27″ with the graphics card.

CaptainSlow

I’ve just bought the 27″, here’s why

Screen size/resolution
    Memory is user upgradeable in 27″ and not in 21″ (mine came with 8, plan on getting 16gb in addition)
    27″ has dedicated gfx

Also, get a 2tb fusion as that comes with 128gb flash. If you go for the 1tb fusion that come with 32gb flash

Hth

spence
    Free Member

jambalaya. Thanks that’s helpful, I had considered a Mini but the sleek all in one has won my wife over, less clutter apparently, whatever clutter is! Yes, may look into the Tv/Airport down the line.

geetee. Again thanks, yes the graphics card is different and I hadn’t consider the customisation side, more just walk in walk out of the Apple store / John Lewis.
    But here’s the thing. Your analogy to a dropper post, I still don’t really get them. Yes I finally got round to putting one on my Turner but very rarely use it, forget it’s there most of the time. Even at BPW and Afan the other week. Luddite I know. So missing something you haven’t had, where what you’ve now got is better than you had previously?????? Sounds like I’m talking myself into a decision.

Thanks captain.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP if you have the extra £ buy the 27, really.

mrchrispy

27″
    ****** thread ends here ******

geetee1972
    Free Member

more just walk in walk out of the Apple store / John Lewis.

Have you not thought about ordering it online? Potentially a lot less hassle.

So missing something you haven’t had, where what you’ve now got is better than you had previously?????? Sounds like I’m talking myself into a decision.

21″ it is then. 😀

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Is the iMac line due for a refresh? I’m holding out at the moment, just in case.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘iMac 21.5" vs 272’ is closed to new replies.