Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • I'm useless with electricery – how do I work out how much a PC is costing to run
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I have 2 servers running 24 x 7 in my office. Both are pretty old but have done the business for over 5 years non-stop which is pretty good, but I’m thinking of changing them for a single low consumption server that will do the job of both existing servers.
    The problem I have is that I don’t have much of a clue about ‘leccy stuff but I want to work out roughly how much power they’re using.
    I do know (from the interweb) that one of them uses about 1 amp and the other about 1.2 amps. Does that help?
    According to interweb tests the potential replacement uses a max of 30w but is 16w at rest.

Rubber_Buccaneer

P=I*V so at 230 Volts and 1 amp the power would be 230W. That’s roughly one unit every four hours and what does a unit cost now, 17p? Reality may vary, get one of those things Cougar suggests.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Hard to say. If there’s a current rating, that’ll probably be peak rather than average.
    As a ball-park figure, a PC not doing anything too taxing like graphics will be using about 60 – 100Ws (excluding monitor)

So that’s 0.06 -> 0.1 *(365*24) * 15p = £78 ->£130 quid a year
    at 16W -> 30W 0.016 -> 0.03 *(365*24) * 15p = £21 ->£39 quid a year

But you really need an energy meter to check for certain.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Well IF one of them is using 1.2 amps that would be costing £30/month compared with £3.30 for a Mac Mini using a max of 30w (would average less as it would be idle for most of the time)!
    no wonder I pay £100/month for ‘leccy 🙁

Think I need to buy one of those plug in meters.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘I'm useless with electricery – how do I work out how much a PC is costing to run’ is closed to new replies.