Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • I'm thinking of going Tubeless
  • Milkie
    Free Member

After 3 punctures at Afan on Saturday and 2 a few weeks before I'm thinking of going Tubeless..

Which kit is everyone using?
    I've got a DT Swiss 5.1 on the front and a SpeedDisc on the rear with Maxxis Ignitor XC tyres..
    Will it work!?

Tasso
    Free Member

Horrible tyres…..

That's not what you asked though.

On my 5.1's I've got the DT kit. Works alright but costs a lot and after a while the strip seems to fail/leak and needs removing and refitting with the sticky tape. This happened to a friend too.

Tried teh Ghetto tesco bmx tube and electrical tape version on some Inbred wheels recently. working very well and much cheaper and easier to fit if you just want to give it a try.

Stans solution seems to be the best all round goop for use in these type of conversions.

I must say though that the proper mavic ust rims and tyres are the way to do it if you are buying new.

peachos
    Free Member

convert your rims with bmx tubes. you tube ghetto tubeless.

Milkie
    Free Member

Do they do BMX tyres with Presta valves? I don't fancy drilling out the holes.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Get a couple of tubeless valves with removable cores, and some wheel milk (I use Just Riding Along).

A few wraps of electrical tape to seal over the spoke nipple holes in your rim, and you are good to go.

Maxxis are normally pretty good with diy tubeless setups.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24639

Running XT UST wheels, 819 UST rims and 717's ghetto-ised with the above tube myself.

Schwalbe bmx tube definitely makes for the most reliable of the three tubeless options

BluePalomino
    Free Member

Go Ghetto man!
    Craft shop Latex+water is cheapest & best, i sometimes mix a 10/90% Slime/Latex, & a spit for luck 😉

stumpy01

Get a couple of tubeless valves with removable cores, and some wheel milk (I use Just Riding Along).

A few wraps of electrical tape to seal over the spoke nipple holes in your rim, and you are good to go.

I did this with my DT 420SL rims. It seems to be working pretty well. I used Stan's sealant (and Wickes RED electrical tape, because apparently it's faster).
    I did a loop of electrical tape offset to one side of the rim, then another loop offest to the other side, finished with a loop around the centre.

I also used some PTFE tape around the base of the valve to help it seal, but not sure if this was necessary or not.

chiefgrooveguru

I've been very impressed so far with ghetto tubeless on my skinny rimmed Boardman with 2.2 Bontrager XR4 and Specialized Purgatory tyres. Schwalbe 20" tube with Presta valve and removable core, and Caffelatex sealant. Couldn't get it to seal until I added a layer of 3mm foam tape between the rim and the tube but once I did that it inflated on the first pump with a track pump, no sealant and no soapy water! Added the sealant the next day once I was sure it was all seated correctly, armed with a freebie syringe from my local chemist and greatly aided by the removable valve cores. Early days yet but running low 20s at the front, high 20s at the rear and can't believe the extra grip and cushioning!

br
    Free Member

Just buy a Stans kit, job done.

Although I'd suggest you start off with new tyres, as otherwise when you try and tubeless, the liquid has to fill the holes that have already been made by your many punctures.

brassneck

Joe's No Flats work well on my DT 4.1 rims when the official Eclipse kit was hopeless (I have many years experience of tubless, stans, ghetto, real UST rims too).

Often someone selling a bikes worth on EBay for a charity, for around £20 – it's where I got my last two sets.

Milkie
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I will go the Ghetto route!

Do I dare ask…. What rear tyre!? As its not the first time someone has said my tyres are $hit.

Tasso
    Free Member

Not such a daft idea as you'll be wanting a fit once and leave it tyre I guess. The major drawback with tubeless and gunk is tyre swaps.

If your glass is half full a good allrounder for sensible money is the Maxiss ADvantage. Will get you a fair way into the winter months and fine for the rest of the year.

If yours is half empty and you live somewhere prone to gloop then a Schwalbe black shark mud can't be beat. Come April though and you'll be really glad to put the Ignitors back on.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘I'm thinking of going Tubeless’ is closed to new replies.