Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • I'm tempted by the dark side.
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

Picked up a Trek 2.1. Alu frame with 105 groupset and Fulcrum wheels. I used to have a 2.1 a few years ago and got on really well with it so looking forward to having another one.

Is it bad that I’m already thinking this will be great this year and then come next summer I’m already looking for a carbon “summer” bike?

I’ve looked at gravel bikes and can see the future having one, a CFD or similar.

I’m shaving my legs and drinking espresso tonight. Can’t wait 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

Gravel bike? Just get a road bike with bigger clearances and spare set of wheels with more suitable tyres. Job done.

richellicott
    Free Member

I’ve got a “gravel bike” too. I was looking for a commuter that was a bit tougher than a road bike. Basically a road bike for mountain bikers. I love my Vaya, slick tyres for going to work and joining the occasional shop ride. And a pair of knobbly tyres for chasing down mountain bikers around llandegla

teadrinker
    Free Member

Here’s the (new to me) steed, Trek 2.1, full 105 groupset and Fulcrum Racing Quattro wheelset. Only picked her up today so haven’t had a chance to take her out yet. Looking forward to this weekend 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

almost nowhere left in UK I’d find worth riding off-road now

really? 😆

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Got a cheap roadie myself this year a Triban 300. Enjoyed the rides I’ve had on it but also got a new full suss which I really enjoy. My dilemma is I live 5 minutes away from Darwen Moor with access to some great trails and also rivington. 10 minutes up the road and some great, quiet country roads also.

Such a hard choice to choose which bike to ride.

whatfriends
    Free Member

You don’t have to finish a book just because you start it.

Or in other words, if you can’t find the time or energy or love for doing something anymore – even when you’ve done it for years and years – don’t give yourself a hard time for not doing it or choosing something else that you can find the time, energy or love for.

I rode mtbs for about 10 years and then stopped because I realised I was in a habit rather than enjoying it.

Same goes for fixed gear road bikes, about 7 years worth, then fell out of love with it. Ditto for hip hop music, skateboarding, travel books and tai chi.

Recently got a new mtb and once I’m over the teething problems, fingers crossed I’ll love it again. Hopefully you’ll love the new ride you bought, have fun at the weekend.

teadrinker
    Free Member

It’ll be nice. I’m looking forward to taking things in a different direction for a while. I’ll never close the door to mountain biking, just can’t give it the time I’d like to at the moment with general life/family commitments so happy to skinny for a while.

hilldodger
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member

almost nowhere left in UK I’d find worth riding off-road now

really? [/quote]

If you read the whole post I did add “once you factor in travel/faff time” – for me riding a mtb is an enjoyable outdoor fitness activity, I don’t try and pretend it’s some life changing quasi-mystical experience with soul buddy bonding.

I get far more enjoyable cycling going out of my front door straight onto twisty country lanes for an hour or three on the road bike than hoiking the mtb in the car for a few hours to find a new trail to ride – no matter whether you don head to toe Rapha, go full on storm-trooper or somewhere in between it’s just people on bikes.
    Don’t buy into the hype, just go ride whatever you enjoy riding 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘I'm tempted by the dark side.’ is closed to new replies.