Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • I'm swimming to France
  • psychle
    Free Member

good luck! that’s a big ass swim, at least there are no sharks to worry about! 😯

CaptJon
    Free Member

16 degrees? toasty. Good luck!

heresjonny
    Free Member

Last sea swim today white horses and everything, good 1.5 hrs felt more like 3 bashing through, over, under all those waves swallowed half the channel too.
    Felt good water like a tepid bath honestly, phone pilot tonight see what he says about possibility of going teusday, wind not looking good mind you Fingers toes crossed.
    Jon

llama

10k a day? in a 25m? Christ how did you stay awake! I’m a pretty good swimmer but I would not even consider this.

Good luck and respect.

heresjonny
    Free Member

Its only 25*400’s, once you’ve done 10 it kind of gets a bit hipnotic also trying to do a negative split always helped. Even did some 400’s fly if I was feeling mean, that or add in a long sleave t-shirt add a bit of drag and replicate really knackered swimming for the last few hours.
    On another note just saw T2 liquid terminator in Die Hard 2 (did’nt last long though)

llama

400 fly non stop is hard for anyone, even doing an extended glide. Sounds like you are prepared then!

Bear
    Free Member

when are and where are you leaving? may wave you off if not working.
    Best of luck too.

juan
    Free Member

bonne chance :d

heresjonny
    Free Member

For those not following twitter. Spoke to pilot again now looking at (Bear always welcome a wave off)wednesday 9am from dover marina if the weather has cleared from tuesday, if not then 3pm wednesday will be perfect although it will mean swimming through the night. But should definatley mean going wednesday at some point. Off to finish tub of Ben & Jerry’s half baked now.

heresjonny
    Free Member

llama
    I wont tell you about the 800m fly laps in the local lake then.
    Early on I was thinking of going for the fly crossing record 14h 34 but thought best get accross first.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

If you aren’t following his twitter, he set off just after midnight and going well by the sound of it.
    I however am late getting ready for work, slightly different challenge…

duntstick
    Free Member

http://twitter.com/#!/search/jonswims2france

Silly bugger has been swimming since Midnight.
    About 6 miles off France………… 😯

Go on Jon!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Looks like he’s struggling….

GO ON JON!

wwaswas

Just out the water into the boat 🙁

valiant effort, well done Jon.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

It’s not a failure – it’s good practice for the next one!

Even the best cross channel swimmers don’t make it every time.

Good effort and good luck for the next attempt.

ourmaninthenorth

Yes, a superb effort nonethless. I’m sure you’re crack it next time, Jon.

duntstick
    Free Member

What an experience that must have been.

I’m sure lessons have been learned, should you ever be nuts enough to try again.
    Well in fella

And sleep……………………… 🙂

Travis

Excellent effort, good warm up for the next one.

heresjonny
    Free Member

Hi everyone

As most of you will know I attempted my channel crossing 7th October at 12.30. I was making excellent progress making the English shipping lane in 2h 30 mins and the French shipping lane at 5h 30 mins which is about 6 miles off the French coast.

However, at my 4 hour feed I was violently sick and from there on unable to keep down any energy drinks given to me. From 6h30 into my swim I was unable to battle the tides and was dragged down the coast line never getting any nearer. Up to this point I was on for a sub 10 hour swim which would have been amazing, but not to be.

The decsion was taken to pull me out after 9 hours as it would have been 6 hours before the tide turned and then another 4 hours to reach French soil. I was not in a fit state to last that long in 15c water, and also turning my swim into 20 hours
    However I tried to put on weight I only managed 4.5kg in 5 months all of which strangly came off during my 9 hr swim.
    Thanks for watching my twitter, hope it provided some entertainment over your collective breakfasts.
    I will be doing a relay next year I think and then go for another solo in 2012, and get a slot in August this time, with a bit more training next time.

Kuco

Unlucky Johnny, but at least you gave it your best. Good luck for the future attempts.

donsimon
    Free Member

Well done and good luck next time.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

good effort (you still got waaaay further than most people!!)

Good luck if you attempt it again, I’m sure it’ll be easier in a slightly warmer august!

swisstony
    Free Member

well done mate, valiant effort

singletrackmind

Aim for Mid Sept next year. The water will be a few degrees warmer, and more than likely smoother. Plus you did it during some big tides, surely neaps would be best with less tidal range and a few knots less to swim against.
    Good effort though, more than most on here could ever acheive. My 1 mile sea swims after work used to tire me out , cannot contemplate 20 odd miles.

Burls72
    Free Member

Well done fella, bit of bad luck with being sick/illness. Doesn’t matter how well you train (and sounds like you more than prepared) if you get ill or an injury on the day when your doing something that hard thats unfortunately the end of things.

Hope things go better on the next attempt.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘I'm swimming to France’ is closed to new replies.