Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • I'm swimming to France
  • heresjonny
    Free Member

I have been traing since May and now finally my alotted window has come round from now till the 9th Oct, anytime 24 hrs a day. So wish me luck anyone who wants to follow my progress Go to Twitter and look for jonswims2france. It’s my lifes dream to do this so invested some of my redundancy from April to make it happen and 1000’s of lengths later I’ll be off.

iDave
    Free Member

Fantastic, hopefully you’re not starting in Cuba?

Good luck

Hairychested
    Free Member

Can’t you afford a ferry? Try a plane, Ryanair are cheap and you SHOULD remain dry.

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

I don’t post much on here, but this deserves one. Best of luck to you.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Why France of all places?

wwaswas

because ‘I’m swimming to the Isle of Wight’ doesn’t have the same cachet?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nice one! That’s proper swimming! Good luck!

DezB
    Free Member

There were some cross channels swimmers on Eggheads the other week. Couple of them (the ladies) were rather attractive, in a chunky kind of way. Young woman said she’d done a couple of there&back swims. Crazy!
    Good luck to ya heresjonny

jon1973
    Free Member

Where do you suggest?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Good effort!

Why don’t you incorporate it into the ‘London to Paris triathlon challenge’?

Run from London to Dover, swim the channel, then ride a bike to Paris. Only about 8 people have ever done it! Got to be worth a try.

Just a thought…
    😀

allthepies
    Free Member

What’s all the allotted window bobbins ? Just do a Matthew Parris and dive in there.

wwaswas

I think you need to get coastguard clearance and have the tides working in your favour. Plus a support boat and crew. I can see why you need to book in advance…

thehustler
    Free Member

Doing a london to paris cycle in July next year, bit worried about the ‘channel’ bit atm, can anyone recommend some good tyres for channel hopping

heresjonny
    Free Member

Yes I have a pilot boat to guide me across on the best route, leaving on high tide going out and aiming to get to france to jump on the incoming tide about 12 hours later. Arch to Arc yes heard of that but thought I’d do the swim bit first.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Having done a very small amount of open water swimming I have the highest respect for anyone that swims the channel. What an achievment!!
    I don’t use Twitter so when you finish the challenge and can gather enough energy to lift your fingers can you please update us on here?

Good luck with it dude!

Richie

epicyclo

Good luck.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Good luck! I think that is just ace!
    What did you do when you were young?
    I swam to France.

oh.

heresjonny
    Free Member

Yes 34 is young, I new it was. Saying that a 16 year old girl did it yesterday. So if she can I can.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Are you there yet?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Best of luck and carbo load like mad.

Glad you have a lead boat-do it safely and get them to play some music or something and pass you carb gel.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

good luck, jonny

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Not sure about the SE, but the weather’s a bit wild here in the SW – not ideal conditions for loony swimming!

gordimhor

good luck

jimmy

do they have internet access in the channel?

heresjonny
    Free Member

Can hopefully text into my twitter page, other people have done that already this year.

yetiguy
    Free Member

all the best mate, following you on twitter

woody2000

Best of luck to you sir! 🙂

tankslapper
    Free Member

Best of luck!

Aidan
    Free Member

Good luck!

Have fun and stay safe out there.

I know a few channel swimmers – my girlfriend has done the Channel and the Cook Strait – and I’ve been to Dover a bit myself. Lots of respect to you, it’ll be tough, but it will be a hell of a thing to have done!

elaineanne
    Free Member

cool ! what an amazing challenge…hope you do well and stay safe.. 😉 sorry i dont do ‘Twitter’ so cant follow you on there..
    Best of luck 😉 :mrgreen:

MrSparkle

Wow, good luck matey!

JulianA
    Free Member

WorldClassAccident – Member

Because its not Britain! (and Belgium is further)

We shan’t be swimming – we’ll be taking all our belongings and cats through the tunnel.

OP: Good luck with the swim!

Travis

Excellent, Have a good one 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

Good luck, bonne chance and suerte. 😀

monsta
    Free Member

Fantastic – weather has cleared up quite a bit. Hope it has gone well – did you get seasick? I wanted to do this but baulked at the £2000 hire cost of the boat.

yetiguy
    Free Member

can you tell us more about the logisitcs of doing this, i assume one cant just rock up and swim it.

heresjonny
    Free Member

Hi everyone
    Now looks like tuesday about 7am.
    Yeti Guy
    Book boat with CSA (cross channel assoc)£2100
    register CSA £450
    Medical doctors say you are fit
    6 hours quaifying swim in water 15c or below.
    Since Middle of April been doing about 10km a day in the pool broken up into intervals (400 lengths of 25m pool)monday to friday.
    Sundays sea training May bank holiday 1st one. 10.5c temp did 2 half swims with an hour out to warm up. Every sunday building up to 6 hrs Sat and then 7 hrs sunday, replicate expected crossing time.
    Sea temp now mid channel about 16.2c.
    Objective of the swim is to reach French coast as the tide is going in so you are helped into the shore line. Not get there too late and have to fight an outgoing tide, can add hours onto your swim time.
    I will write a more accurate account of the swim and see if I can put this into practice. average crossing time is 12.5 hrs average age 33, I’m 34 and hope to do 3000 m an hour its 38km across.

uplink
    Free Member

May the tide be with you

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Brilliant. Grease up.

Kevevs
    Free Member

good luck mate and get swimming!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘I'm swimming to France’ is closed to new replies.