Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • I'm stuck in work due to floods
  • rhid

Its not the best way to spend a thursday evening. Apparently the canteen aren’t serving dinner til 6pm either. Stupid rain

Drac

Dinner not until 6pm, what about teatime?

Jamie
    Free Member

what about teatime?

It that what northerners call breakfast?

ThePinkster

Think of the overtime, or TOIL you can use on the trails! 😀

Drac

It that what northerners call breakfast?

Breakfast? by ‘eck we dream of being able to afford breakfast.

molgrips
    Free Member

No you’re not, you’re a big southern pansy, you just don’t know how to drive, we get far worse up north, bit of rain and the whole country grinds to a halt, why can’t we cope with rain, moan moan whinge whinge wave willy

rhid

Call it dinner or teatime I still have to wait another 50mins for my free meal. After that I may try escaping. However I have just seen a video of the road to my house so I may not get far.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Breakfast? by ‘eck we dream of being able to afford breakfast.

Dream?

Drac

90s pop band, best forgotten.

rhid

Yes but things can only get better.

RustySpanner

I ‘ad breakfast once.

Crunchy it were, all floating in a bowl.

Drac

Yes but things can only get better.

Pardon?

rhid

If I have to explain it it won’t be funny.

Drac

That was the cue for the next line, you’ve ruined it now. 🙁

wallop

Good grief, at least you actually HAVE a canteen!

wwaswas

Molgrips would point smugly at his winter tyres and drive off through 4ft deep flood waters.

darrell
    Free Member

The ex-drummer from DReam gave a presentation at some business bullsh1t i went to once.

He was quite funny

rhid

I have ruined it haven’t I.
    I’ll start another thread on with the same title and we can go again. I did get some free food though.

Jamie
    Free Member

You’re no Brian Cox, are you?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Molgrips would point smugly at his winter tyres and drive off through 4ft deep flood waters.

Genuine LOL!
    Sorry Mol. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

No, cos.. no.. cos I’d have umm.. I always travel with a canoe, don’t you?

davidjones15
    Free Member

I always travel with a canoe, don’t you?

What’s the point?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj1ZTfo2ttg[/video]
    😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I sloped off work early to escape the car-nage and hunker down at home while Somerset drowns. Colossal volumes of water at work here.

drlex
    Free Member

[…] while Somerset drowns[…]

Taunton way? I’ve just been axle washing when collecting daughter #1.

project
    Free Member

A55 closed near conway and bangor long delays through betws y coed, also llanberis flooded,

lovely scenery to look at pity its so dark, and no streetlights.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Make a boat out of office supplies and hire a crew of sea dogs to man the vessel back to your place where they will be paid handsomely with proper food and a beer instead of canteen crap?

saxabar
    Free Member

Back roads from Bangor to Bethesda clear and managed to avoid A55 chaos. Some very deep puddles driven through on the way back though 😯 The river I live next to is also looking very high 😐

pictonroad

Back roads from Bangor to Bethesda clear and managed to avoid A55 chaos. Some very deep puddles driven through on the way back though The river I live next to is also looking very high

Have you registered with the flood warnings direct service?

Perhaps get off the net, move your treasures to a high place and switch off the electricity?

Hope it doesn’t happen but flooding can and will really mess up your day.

Fingers crossed for you.

pegglet
    Free Member

been a lovely 16dg sunny day in norwich today. t.shirt, shorts in the woods…..lovely.

pegglet
    Free Member

oh,and got bitten off a mozz…

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

The river I live next to is also looking very high

If you have a sunken patio or anything, go and make sure you know where the drain cover is (if there is one). We had to pull ours up as well as a number of patio slabs using a pickaxe and a peg puller and unblock it last year when our local stream burst its banks so that water didn’t come through the conservatory into the house – worked a treat.

saxabar
    Free Member

Thanks both (although no go on the drains idea as we have a sceptic tank). We’re on the right side of OK and there’s a fair way to go yet. Looking at the forecasts the worst has passed, although there’ll still be water running of the tops. It looks more alarming than it actually is and although it runs high, it runs fast too. We’ve been here two years but the old lady who has lived here for 30 or so years claims our cluster of cottages has never been flooded. (We also get insurance too and are not in a risk of flood zone!)

Signed up for the alerts though – cheers for that.

DickBarton

Aberfoyle has it bad

transapp
    Free Member

Quite odd on the way home, Bridgewater (Somerset) biblical amounts of rain, I ran at 4:45 as I thought I’d never get over the Mendips. A37 shut, A38 shut. M4 / M32 jammed solid. Here goes 3hrs and a 10mph commute thought I.
    Except that 5 miles East, the roads were actually dry and hardly a sole about. Had a cracking drive home!!

ransos
    Free Member

I left work at the usual time and got home at the usual time. Car drivers seemed to be fareing less well.

deft
    Free Member

People been stuck on A55 for 8 hours now. Same as when that lorry went over – if you’re past the point of no return you’re fewked!

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Saxabar- you up in gerlan ?

some old cottages have been flooded in tal-y-bont– ironically from the water coming off the A55- my daughters school in bangor has been seconded as an emergency centre tonight for motorists– so no ysgol for her tomorrow, no peace for me…….!

project
    Free Member

The strange thing with the A55 it was built on higher ground except for the conway tunnels, which are below river level, so a man with a jcb, could dig a trench and the water drains to the sea so easy.or some pipes and a big pump.

Route 5 of the sustrans national cycle network is available to use, also all trains have ben cancelled between llandudno junction and holyhead.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

The aber section was built over 30 years ago, where it usually floods first, the run off from the hillsides when they are saturated is pretty torrential, once the culverts are blocked, as the leaves etc have just been ripped off all outlying trees in the last few days — the water just sits there in the dips and troughs of the road– like a huge blocked sink. what is always strange are those fools who insist on driving through it even when they can see others stuck/sunken ? some strange macho stuff ??

All very rideable on the back road !

saxabar
    Free Member

@rudebwoy, no down at the Tyn Twr cottages by Afon Ogwen (near the turn-off for the quarries). A guy I work with who lives in Llanllechid got flooded though.

Edit: just checked river levels too and its looking much more reasonable!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘I'm stuck in work due to floods’ is closed to new replies.