Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Im sorry its come to this but….. What tyre?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

I think everyone should be allowed 1 ‘what tyre’ thread. This is my first one and im asking as a last resort as ive done as much reading as i can.

I currently use Mountain King 2 protection version in 2.4, i think its just a little to easy to flat.

Does anyone have any suggestions to a more stronger tyre which can cope with slate/stones? Its for my AM bike, so i dont want the weight of a full on dh tyre, is there something inbetween?

Thanks in advance.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Run them tubeless with sealant 🙂

FWIW, for that sort of riding I run the single ply minion DHF on the front, and either a Larsen or a High roller on the back. Not too heavy, good tubeless, and works well.

Edit: Slate… may want to consider dual ply.

edward2000
    Free Member

bump…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rocketman
    Free Member

Folding Big Betty Pacestar for dry-ish rocks/stones or 60a/3C folding 2.5 Minion for dirtier terrain

Combine with Nic/Ardent on the back

jamj1974

Rubber Queen 2.2 UST running in tubeless mode.

chiefgrooveguru

Tubeless with sealant! I’ve been running Rubber Queen 2.2 UST BC for the past year and they’re not a lot bigger and tougher than the MK 2.4 Protection but they’re pretty bombproof as tubeless tyres go. I had more problems with an X-King 2.4 Protection (same carcass as yours?) but I think that was due to the low centre knobs allowing sharp flints to cut the carcass. I can’t see regular stones bothering it.

Northwind

Do you want something like a MK, but less punturey? Or would you be happy with a harder use/draggier tyre? Most times, with added durability comes added gnar-core-ness.

I can completely recommend the Specialized Butcher Control if you don’t mind the extra drag (and would appreciate the extra grip). Best trailbike tyre there is, IMO, straight evolution of the Minion. But it’s not really a MK substitute.

Gribs

I use the same tyre on the rear but the UST version with sealant as it’s got thicker sidewalls and seems quite a bit tougher. It’s not light but I’d got fed up with destroying sidewalls fairly often. Up front I use a 2.4 UST Rubber Queen.

chiefgrooveguru

I use the same tyre on the rear but the UST version with sealant as it’s got thicker sidewalls and seems quite a bit tougher.

That’s UST vs Protection, not UST vs standard?

Gribs

UST vs Protection. There’s a couple of hundred extra g’s on the tyre and most of it seems to be in the side walls.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve fitted an EXO Minion 2.5 3C on my bike. Running tubeless @ 28 psi and it is fantastic. The level of grip is amazing compared to my old 60a Minion…
    The EXO wall does add strength but not too much weight (negated by not using tubes anyway)

AlexSimon

Ardent EXO
    Advantage EXO

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Im sorry its come to this but….. What tyre?’ is closed to new replies.