Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • I'm so torn by this
  • aracer
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35338395

Though I think on balance Trump is at least 10 times more loathsome than Salmond.

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya but we know Salmond is going to be the first president of Scotland than bankrupt the place innit!

Freedooomm! 😆

athgray
    Free Member

I saw this and disagree. I think banning him might further galvanize his support back home. I wonder if Salmond is allowing a personal tit for tat with Trump to come to this view.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes more free publicity for Trump who after the pointless debate will be able to claim “they don’t have the balls to ban me” or “some Muslim Brit politician tried to ban me from the uk and failed” (ref this story link

Trump has already put Salmond firmly in his place pointing out the size of his ego unveiling a portrait of himself instead of attending the debate on airstrikes in Syria

scotroutes

Would that be the debate before which Alex Salmond had already been briefed by MI5 and MI6 on account of him being a Privy Councillor and the portrait unveiling that raised over £50,000 for the CLIC Sargent charity – or was it a different one?

athgray
    Free Member

To be fair scotroutes I don’t think the unveiling raised £50,000. IIRC fans of Salmond bought the painting for £50,000 with the proceeds of the sale going to a worthy charity. Don’t know if this was dependent on his appearance to unveil it. I will add though that I am sure he was fully briefed as you say on the vote.

On topic, IF Trump becomes president, can sanctions be brought to bear if he goes through with some of his excessive policies? Expulsiom frpm G8 perhaps? Or is American influence and power to mighty to break.

GrahamS

As discussed on other Trump threads, we ban lots of other people from entry into the UK based on them “engaging in unacceptable behaviour by fostering hatred which might lead to inter-community violence in the United Kingdom” (to quote the Home Office)

That sounds like it my apply here, so why should Trump be immune from at least being considered for a similar ban?

GrahamS

Loving the picture of Trump’s closed fist salute in front of the Constitution.

He might want to turn around and read the first clause of the First Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

athgray
    Free Member

He is not immune. He is being considered for a similar ban. I just wonder if a ban may increase his poll rating. On account of that I would not ban him.

aracer
    Free Member

Amongst those who will vote for him whatever he or anybody else does – I’m not so sure that any publicity is good publicity applies to the “swing” voters – hopefully the debate will go as Ms Siddiq suggests and that it will do nothing to enhance his reputation with anybody with half a brain.

😆 er, yes, the US is just too big and powerful – see how we can’t do anything meaningful to curb Russia who are still members of the G8 etc. despite all they get up to – nowadays Russia is but a pimple compared to the US.

Because politics

ninfan
    Free Member

This Alex Salmond?

[video]http://youtu.be/hMG_mlczhr8[/video]

The same Alex Salmond who tried to get Trump to back the Megrahi release?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13076170.Salmond_under_pressure_over_Megrahi_Trump_leak/

Junkyard
    Free Member

Trump has already put Salmond firmly in his place pointing out the size of his ego unveiling a portrait of himself instead of attending the debate on airstrikes in Syria

Nw corrected you on this the last time you said it

Why have you repeated the partial truth rather than the actual truth?
    and again
    Pressed if he should not have been there to help make the SNP’s case against intervention, given his debating skills, Mr Salmond said: “It’s a statement by the Prime Minister therefore it is responded to by the leader of the party. That’s the way it should be.”
    Mr Robertson confirmed the party will not support a vote for military action unless key questions over issues such as Syria’s reconstruction are “satisfactorily” answered.
    Mr Salmond later told the Buzzfeed website that both MI5 and MI6 were present for his briefing so “nothing in the statement was a surprise to me.” He said that he would be present in the Commons when MPs vote on military action.

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

Not merely a #jambafact, but one I’ve corrected you on before and you backed down on. But hey, whatevs.

chewkw
    Free Member

Can we ban Salmond swimming south? 😆

gordimhor

Not in favour of banning any one.
    Has anyone ever seen Trump and Boris Johnson together?

chewkw
    Free Member

Let’s ban those who ban others then we ban each other for a total ban. 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can we ban you Chewkw? 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Far better to invite Trump over for a month away with Salmond, Galloway and Farrage at the same hotel – keep them all out of trouble and the headlines for a period. They could mentally torment each other, with pay per view coverage on Dave +1

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How about we invite him over cancel his visa halfway and the yanks revoke his passport?

martinhutch

Far better to invite Trump over for a month away with Salmond, Galloway and Farrage at the same hotel

And then nuke it from orbit. A bit like Celebrity Big Brother but with a more satisfying ending.

Pointless attempts to ban him (as if we’d even contemplate banning someone who could well be the next POTUS) only serve his agenda.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘I'm so torn by this’ is closed to new replies.