• This topic has 33 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by rone.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • I'm old school and like to own my music, are streaming services worth it?
  • grubbish
    Free Member

As the title but I also like some obscure music which I can imagine is not on some streaming services. What are your experiences?

dannybgoode

Deezer surprises me with some of the note obscure stuff it has.

Depends how out there your taste is but it has all the New Fast Automatic Daffodils catalogue for example.

CountZero

I see no reason to give up owning your own music, while taking advantage of streaming services, just so long as you avoid any that basically upload all your music into the cloud then let you access it at a lower bitrate, and charge for the privilege.
    I can’t see the point myself, I’ve got more music than I can listen to, approximately 200+ Gb, and more being added all the time, and I’ve got 6music, with Tom Ravenscroft and The Freak zone/Freakier zone for obscure/wierd stuff which I don’t have to pay £100/year for the privilege of listening to.

zilog6128

Anything that I’ve looked for (on Apple or Spotify) which is missing tends to be because of licensing disagreements rather than it being too “niche”.

LOL at the idea of “owning” music though. Do you only listen to stuff you’ve bought the publishing rights to? If so I can imagine your collection being quite obscure. Unless you’re a billionaire.

aide

My mate always slags me off for still having/buying cds etc. He wasnt so happy last week when his computer crashed and now has thousands of ‘track 1’s on his ‘pooter, he cant find anything, long live proper music, old school all the way (although sometimes i do get copied music if i like it ill go out and buy the original)

ticsmon

I always buy cds from amazon then you can listen to whatever you’ve bought on the amazon music app

the-muffin-man

You can use both!

I used Spotify for most listening and convenience and anything I really like I buy on vinyl.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Artists get so little money from the streaming services, it’s really best for music to ignore them. I prefer to buy it outright and in any case often listen in places with no wifi or mobile signal.

DezB
    Free Member

Never felt the need for streaming. My music collection is big enough to stream from my own NAS and still get surprises.

zilog6128

Artists get so little money from the streaming services

The biggest factor is the deal artists’ have with their label which is nothing to do with the streaming service.

in any case often listen in places with no wifi or mobile signal.

they all (paid services) offer an offline mode.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’ve discovered far more music since having a sub to a streaming service.

Anything Google Music doesn’t have, I can usually find on CD for a couple of quid from amazon Marketplace.

DezB
    Free Member

The biggest factor is the deal artists’ have with their label which is nothing to do with the streaming service.

Not if they sell their own music on bandcamp.

zilog6128

Never heard of it but a quick google suggests they take a 10-15% cut on sales so not sure what your point is.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

often listen in places with no wifi or mobile signal.

You don’t need a connection. You can choose tracks to download to your device for offline listening.

midlifecrashes

I use Spotify free. Instant music, occasional ads, though mostly just for the paid version. Use it on a tablet that requests desktop site so it lets me pick what I want to play rather than shuffle. Don’t do any of their recommendations bullshit, just play what I want. If I like something enough, I buy the CD and rip the mp3 to my phone and tiny mp3 clip player for the gym/bike. Some of the playlists are good, some crap, a bit like radio.

DezB
    Free Member

zilog6128
    Never heard of it

Says it all really

darrell
    Free Member

no

slimjim78
    Free Member

Radio/streaming for discovering new stuff you like, hard copies + gigs for supporting the acts you’ve discovered.

llama

Go on then, name something obscure, we’ll tell you if its on spotify or not

Cougar

Spotify and a Chromecast has meant we’ve started listening to music again. It’s a killer combination.

CountZero

LOL at the idea of “owning” music though. Do you only listen to stuff you’ve bought the publishing rights to? If so I can imagine your collection being quite obscure. Unless you’re a billionaire.

Classic case of deliberately missing the point.
    I’ve bought the right to listen to the music recordings I own at any time and place of my choosing, and I also have the right to dispose of said recordings as and when I choose, and be paid for those recordings, in exactly the same way as I can the books I own.
    If that wasn’t the case, second-hand book and record shops would be forced to close.
    Publishing rights are a whole other deal, many artists do not own the rights to their own work, for a variety of reasons.

DezB
    Free Member

Jeez, who cares. Use a streaming service, don’t use a streaming service. Why can’t people make their own bloody decisions round here?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Go on then, name something obscure, we’ll tell you if its on spotify or not

Is Jammin’ Unit Discovers Chemical Dub on there?

Yak

I’m old school and have resisted any kind of change to music streaming….until now.

And it’s bloody brilliant! I’m like a kid in a record shop again for the first time in ages. Obviously this means that my house now sounds like a bad school disco, but it’s my school disco 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

Revenues from streaming, James Blunt (from his speech at Oxford Union, whole speech and performances worth watching if you appreciate him and his music)

[video]http://youtu.be/5bgZvAI68WE[/video]

lucky7500

Yes, streaming services are worth it. 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

James Blunt (from his speech at Oxford Union, whole speech and performances worth watching if you appreciate him and his music

Him, yes – great attitude.

His music?? You’ve got to be kidding!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is Jammin’ Unit Discovers Chemical Dub on there?

https://open.spotify.com/artist/0KY3r91pP9gaYq5YOaeXSy
    Not found that specific track, is it under a slightly different artist name?
    Anyway it’s free to try so give it a go.
    @CZ from various discussion on the need for the biggest iphone to having to have every bit of music you ever bought at your fingertips your at one end of the use case really. Your requirements probably differ from a few.

I’ve bought the right to listen to the music recordings I own at any time and place of my choosing, and I also have the right to dispose of said recordings as and when I choose, and be paid for those recordings, in exactly the same way as I can the books I own.

All the music I have paid for it sitting on a book case somewhere gaterhing dust, most of what I want can be brought up on any device in any location with a signal (most of them) the artists are actually getting paid more as I am paying to listen to music I own, I’m also listening to stuff that I would never have paid for or certainly wouldn’t have liked enough to buy an album.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Not found that specific track, is it under a slightly different artist name?

Same geezer, but until there’s *everything* available (obvs. there’ll always be something not on there) I’ll not bother – the necessity to be online (seemingly for everything) doesn’t have massive appeal.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You don’t need to be online just like checking out from a home library you can take what you want with you and you can supplement with what you have.

Mugboo

If you are happy with the way you work now then carry on as you are, I’ve never been a huge music buyer but I love music.
    Since buying a couple of Sonos speakers and signing up to Google Music I’ve gone from occasional listener to almost constant. So for me its perfect.

nickc

I’ve bought the right to listen to the music recordings I own at any time and place of my choosing, and I also have the right to dispose of said recordings as and when I choose

I have a streaming service and my service doesn’t differ at all from what you’ve said here. All for the bargain price of £100 a year (much less than I used to spend on CDs)

allthegear
    Free Member

Just use a combination of both? That’s what I do. I have a small number of things not on Apple Music so I just add the tracks off cd into my iTunes and they then upload to my account and become part of the whole selection.

Rachel

rone

I’ve no interest in filling my house up with this sort of media any longer.

The only downside is quality but it’s good enough and I listen to loads more stuff these days than I would taking a punt on a disc.

Same with films.

Very much new school.

Don’t really understand the purpose of the OPs question – is it worth it? Why not take out a free month and find out?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘I'm old school and like to own my music, are streaming services worth it?’ is closed to new replies.