Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I'm off to Chamonix on Saturday :-)
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

First time in the Alps. Any advice, tips, reminders of what to take for the STW collective?

I’m about to carefully pack the bike up with £25 worth of pipe lagging and bubble wrap to prevent baggage handling woes.

In regards to spares I’m only taking a set of brake pads, derailleur hanger, chain, tubes (even though I’m running tubeless). Is this enough?

Is taking one set of riding kit with extra socks and another jersey enough? Or should I take two lots of riding kit? (trying to keep hand luggage size to a minimum).

How much cash do you think I’ll need? (as I’ll need to buy my lunch everyday)

Will I die 🙂

lunge

Take some warm clothing. I was there earlier this week and is was single figures at valley level.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Sh1te, really? I wasn’t even considering packing the long sleeve jersey. Thanks lunge.

nickf
    Free Member

Rain in the Alps at present. Second the long sleeves jersey and waterproof advice. 2 sets of gear ‘cos otherwise you’ll maybe have soggy kit the next morning, which is always grim.

One set of brake pads may well not be enough if it’s wet, though it depends on where and how you’re riding.

freeridenick
    Free Member

25 quid of packaging. Flight is the least of your worries – your off to the Gnar of Chamonix…..

pack lots of clothes.

EXTENDED OUTLOOK UNTIL TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 06 2011

Sunday : rainy-thundery disturbance crossing over in the afternoon, probably fairly active. Monday : cloudy and cool – fleeting sunny spells – isolated showers. Tuesday : very cool – fairly sunny in the morning – becoming cloudy with sunny spells.

chakaping
    Free Member

Take more brake pads too!

burmaboy
    Free Member

When I go to the alps I take as many spares as possible, This year I took cranks, brakes,rear mech and wheels of my other bikes on top of the the normal hangers/pads/tubes etc. However since your flying I guess wheels would be out of equation. My mate bent a pair of cranks this year so luckily he borrowed my spare set.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Hello, if i was you i would pop into zero g and buy Toms little book, take more than 1 set of brake pads, some waterproof shorts are a good idea, and get a train timetable if you are not planning to ride up the valley, it will be handy, eat at Munchies at least once(rue de moulin). Im going out on thurs 8th pm to ride fri, sat, n sun.
    Have a great trip.

Becca
    Free Member

We were there a couple of weeks ago on the way to Italy and it was very hot although it does sound like the weather has changed since then. We rode at Les Houches which was awesome, steep muddy fun.

I’d agree with needing more than 1 set of kit, we were filthy as although it was hot and dry the floor was pretty muddy in places. There is a bike shop in Cham which appeared to be fairly well stocked but 2 sets of brake pads would be a good idea just in case.

We took loads of spares and only used 1 tube and 2 sets of pads in 2 weeks dh in France/Italy. It’s better to have it and not need it though!

As for will you die? Stay on the boardwalk (or better yet off and on the floor around it)and you’ll be fine 😯

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies folks. I’ve just spent an hour and a half packing the bike with only the brakes and shifters to protect and secure.

Right then, I’ll take all my kit, long sleeve jersey and waterproof included.

@freeridenick – I’ll leave the pipe lagging on then 🙂

Spare pads at present are sintered. Was unsure as whether to get organic but with mixed weather I’ll stick with what I know and try and pick another set up tomorrow. Worse case I’ll replace any other damaged parts out there.

I’m doing the 3 Countries Tour with MBMB so there will be just as much riding uphill as well as downhill. Seriously excited / nervous about the riding 🙂

@forgotmename – I’ve got the TWN book which will be coming with me. Although the only days I’ll really have for doing any exploring will be Saturday and Friday. I’ll need to rebuild bike on Saturday before I get out and dismantle and pack on Friday before my flight back so I may not get the opportunity. On the other hand I will have ridden for 5 days straight around Mont Blanc via Switzerland and Italy before returning to France. I may not be too bothered about riding at all 🙂

slugwash
    Free Member

I’m doing the 3 Countries Tour with MBMB so there will be just as much riding uphill as well as downhill. Seriously excited / nervous about the riding

Yep, some serious uphills if you aren’t using the lifts 🙂

Make sure you take lots of of photos and report back ‘cos I’m going to have my second attempt at this next year. (Got driven down into the valleys by snow and torrential rain last time I tried)

I also hope the weather improves and is blasting sunshine for the next month. (Not ‘cos I care too much about your holiday but ‘cos I’m off to the Les Arcs area the following week 😉 )

jedi

pack spare tops etc in individual bags so they stay dry in your pack. when you peak out it can be stoopid cold

forgotmename
    Free Member

If your back from the tour on thursday, you’l have a sore ass and probably want a rest, it is the best bike ride ive ever done, il be popin in to see Phil on friday, so may meet you then. Have a good one.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Cheers forgotmename, I’ll keep an eye out for you

ianv
    Free Member

Keep going to the pyranees. It’s beautiful here in Andorra.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Was 30 degrees last Friday, Snowing on Saturday, then 25 degrees on Sunday on the PPdS side of the range.

Oh and don’t look out at the knuckle draggers emptying the luggage hold whilst you’re waiting on the transfer bus.

I wasn’t impressed to see a bike bag being hurled off the conveyor onto their trolley.

Assume you’re flying into Geneva. There’s a separate ‘oversized luggage’ conveyor in baggage reclaim.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I'm off to Chamonix on Saturday :-)’ is closed to new replies.