Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • I'm not angry at you Planet X, I'm just really disappointed
  • LimboJimbo

It’s fair to say I’ve been a bit ‘meh’ when it’s come to the seemingly endless anti PX rants that crop up all over the internet. I’ve had my last three bikes from them and have had great value and reasonable service. My recent experience has left me at a bit of a loss.

I ordered an RT57 and waited the specified 21 days. Worth waiting, I was getting great value and they were up front about the wait. Yodel even managed to deliver it competently.

Within a week the headset developed play, I nipped it up. Next club ride, same thing after 40 miles or so. Nipped up again, greasing up the expander bolt which was bone dry.

On the next Sunday club run and on a 40mph descent, the application of the front brake resulted in an alarming judder that suggested I should perhaps raise it with them on Monday morning.

Called and was told I needed the Warranty department but they didn’t take calls, someone would call me or email me. No call or email.

Chased on Wednesday, was told the lady who deals with it was off yesterday so she had loads to get through but he would chase her up to call me.

On Friday, having still had no contact I called them again. After five minutes on hold the chap came back to me with the view they had probably missed part of the headset out when building the bike, they would post it out to me. Now at this stage a “sorry about that mate” wouldn’t have gone unappreciated, but the way it was conveyed was as though it was one of the unexplainable mysteries of the universe.

Fine, okay, post it out today and I’ll have it for my Thursday evening ride at least.

Tuesday follows Monday and the Postie is just delivering bills so call number four is logged. “Definitely posted Saturday mate”

I then get a text from my mother in law, 150 miles away to say she had received a Jiffy bag for me. I once had something delivered there, years ago. Fair enough, I obviously should have expressed a desire that it should delivered where I live. My fault. MIL would post it to me.

I came home from work today to said jiffy bag so thankfully that was the end of it. I opened the envelope to reveal…….

Bottom bracket shims.

Guess who I’m calling again on Monday. Planet X, guys, it’s not that hard. I don’t want grovelling apologies, I won’t swear, rant or rave. I just want to ride my bike.

bruneep

sq35567791809 or whatever was his login was will be along soon.

scotroutes

You know that warning in the Classifieds about using Paypal Gift? There should be one on the main forum about buying from On One/Planet X. 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

sq35567791809 or whatever was his login was will be along soon.

Hasn’t he left to set up Ragley, before returning in a blaze of glory before leaving again in a shower of ignominy? Or was that someone else?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Expander bolt???

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Be wary, that bearings aren’t covered under warranty, even after 6 rides, according to the ones I sent back. Quite shambolic really some of the things they do.

LimboJimbo

Expander bolt???

I would have noticed that to be fair!

Googlisation suggests there should be a cone washer between the top cap and top race. without it the expander bolt is compressing the stem against the top cap, nothing is tensioning the bearing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Quite shambolic really some of the things they do.

Oooh, but it’s all such a bargain! Such great spec, because that’s what it’s all about, spec. Never mind the ride, just focus on the cheapness and the spec.

Caveat emptor.

LimboJimbo

CFH, nowt wrong with the bike. It’s their response to a problem that’s frustrating me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Therein lies my point…people will forego any element of service or care for a “bargain”.

LimboJimbo

Therein lies my point…

And in your determination to make yours, you’ve missed mine. I’ve been happy so far and I see no link between offering value and being able sorting out a simple issue easily. The bike’s great and my decision to buy it was based on my experience or buying the last two. It’s the last two percent they seem to be struggling with.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So we would you if you were a pleb
    We would all rather avoid them but they are cheap and so we are compelled

scotroutes

Really? You can’t see how the two things might be related? At all???

Jamie
    Free Member

Oooh, but it’s all such a bargain! Such great spec, because that’s what it’s all about, spec. Never mind the ride, just focus on the cheapness and the spec.

Caveat emptor.

…but they have a bricks and mortar shop. So stick that in your LBS and smoke it 😛

LimboJimbo

Really? You can’t see how the two things might be related? At all???

Funnily enough, I spend a large part of my working life trying to reconcile SLA’s against shrinking margins so maybe I’m looking at it too deeply.

Guy call’s, “There’s a problem with my bike, there’s a bit missing”

“Sorry about that , I’ll go over to the warehouse and pop one in the post for you”

“Thank’s, you’ve resolved my issue”

Explain why that’s not compatible with the direct sales model. Loads of firms manage it in lot’s of industries.

tomd
    Free Member

Been eyeing up the on one fatty but stuff like this puts me off. On the flip side I ordered a cheapo commuting bike off Chain Reaction last week, it turned up good to go with Parcelforce in 2 days. They forgot to put the pack in the box with the reflectors and stuff, a quick email and they’ve posted me all the stuff with some extra lights to make up for it. Had similar great service off Wiggle and Merlin so will be spending the cash there.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think that’s the thing.

You can **** up, but as long as you sort it out properly, then all is forgiven.

…for example, Hope.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Quite shambolic really some of the things they do.

Caveat emptor.

Theres cheap and there £35 for just a headset I bought. There’s cheaper and I bought this. And I got a crap one. Not sure how that’s anything to do with ‘spec’ just a shit product with uninterested help with replacement bearings after 6 dry rides. So, found some by Mr Torchy on ebay and low and behold 18 months later, they are still fine. That makes the On One ones just crap then………..

hora
    Free Member

Is sq35567791809 still about?

JCL
    Free Member

Not directed at Planet X as I know nothing about them but I had to quote this for truth. The amount of times I’ve heard people justify crap geo, sizing etc because it had XT brakes or some other crap.

therevokid
    Free Member

I won’t go into the saga of my latest PX purchase, but will whole
    heartedly defend them this time. I’ve had apologies and admissions of
    guilt over cockups all topped off with them bending over backwards
    to try and get it sorted as quick as they can.

just to balance it out a little bit 🙂

DavidB
    Free Member

Same as therevokid for me. They did go the extra mile to sort my issue and were genuinely annoyed at their cock up. I strongly suspect they have “issues” with their warehousing system.

Kuco

Be wary, that bearings aren’t covered under warranty, even after 6 rides

😯

Even Cannondale warrantied my BB30 bearings after 3 months of riding.

Jamie
    Free Member

Same as therevokid for me. They did go the extra mile to sort my issue and were genuinely annoyed at their cock up. I strongly suspect they have “issues” with their warehousing system.

…but:

sq225917 – Member
    Guys, apologies for this. One of the warehouse guys dumped all the quarantined orders into the system by mistake last Sunday. We are doing our best to separate those ‘possible’ orders from the ‘impossible’ ones, but it’s a lot of bits.

Stick with us, there’s a new system in place and it should run much smoother once this FU is cleaned up.

POSTED 1 MONTH AGO

Sauce

DavidB
    Free Member

Yep, I am not convinced their “new system” is out of QA yet 🙂

jamiep
    Free Member

I have a tale too but am waiting until their offers to fix it come good before I go public

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’ve had apologies and admissions of
    guilt over cockups all topped off with them bending over backwards
    to try and get it sorted as quick as they can

TBH when praise is they sorted out my **** up really quickly and were dead sorry your company probably has issues that need to be resolved

Jamie
    Free Member

I have a tale too but am waiting until their offers to fix it come good before I go public

Oh you little tease…

FOG

Because I live 20 mins away , I have always gone to the Rotherham HQ to get stuff but the last time I did this , I was told I might as well mail order as the warehouse had moved a distance away and it would take as long to get to the shop as to my house. Even ordering in advance on line (and paying) to collect seemed beyond their powers. As clearly they are not yet the mail order internet company they aspire to be, I will get stuff elsewhere. A pity because in the past I have had nothing but help and friendly service in the showroom.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Oooh, but it’s all such a bargain!

The XT brakes I bought last weekend at £40 each end certainly were, and they arrived safely and in full working order 24 hours later.

How dare you be so effecient Planet X – don’t you know you have an internet reputation for shonkiness to live up to? 😆

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I think that’s the thing.
    You can **** up, but as long as you sort it out properly, then all is forgiven.
    …for example, Hope.

Absolutely. All companies screw up at some point and most of us don’t have issue with the occasional mistake, it’s how it’s rectified that is the measuring stick for how good a company is. Planet X seem to get the last part wrong fairly often.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I just ordered a fatty rolling frameset from them. A few calls to confirm what I was getting and it all arrived in time with no problems apart from Yodel decided I had a “back porch” which was my garden and launched the box of wheels over a six foot high fence and ten foot into the garden. If I could only meet that delivery guy……..

Jamie
    Free Member

If I could only meet that delivery guy……..

Order something else from P-X?

fd3chris
    Free Member

Ha ha I did carbon forks but they amazingly ended up in my outside cupboard thank god.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘I'm not angry at you Planet X, I'm just really disappointed’ is closed to new replies.