Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Im not a plumber but………..
  • nimrod2410
    Free Member

…..I would like to fit thermostatic valves to each of my radiators.
    Do I have to drain down the whole system or is there an easier way?

Any advice or tips readily accepted.

Cheers.
    Nigel.

wwaswas

need to drain the system.

I had to shorten some of the pipes goint to the rads when I did it as the thermostatic ones were 'deeper' – also needed to change the fittings in the rads themselves in a couple of instances as they were old radiators.

moreupsthandowns
    Free Member

As above. No choice system will need to be drained.

nimrod2410
    Free Member

Thanks.
    Whats the score for draining the system, block the valve in the header tank?
    Anything I should know about refilling and starting up system again?

Bit of a loss where plumbing is concerned!!

wwaswas

"Bit of a loss where plumbing is concerned!!"

possibly soemthign yopu might want to 'contract out' then – it'll be expensive if you get it wrong.

Generally, if you have a header tank then turn off mains feed into that make sure all the vales int he radiators you want to fi tthe valves to are open (and shut both vales on the rads you're not touching). Use the drain point and a length of hose to drain the system. use ptfe tape when you fit the thermo valves.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Will vary from system to system, you'd need to know what the layout of your system is first (open/pressurised) etc.

allthepies
    Free Member

>Bit of a loss where plumbing is concerned!!

Get someone who knows what they're doing in then 🙂

Fitting TRV's can be an "easy" job or a complete mare. In my case is was a mare (due to the way the cowboys had fitted the original valves).

Sandwich

Don't forget to put corrosion inhibitor in the system after a refill. Stops the various metals in the system reacting and keeps the sludge down improving efficiency. If it's not been drained down for a while a system flush for a day before drain down will clean it all out.
    If you're in a hard water area the gate valve shaft on the header tank will probably break when you use it! Tie up the ball cock valve if this happens.

nimrod2410
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!!!!

Gonna give it a go, lets hope were not in for a cold spell?

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

If in doubt, get a wee book to show you how it's likely to be connected. It's only pipes after all, kids stuff really. – Overcome that fear!

And don't compromise on cheapo TRV's. They will fail. Believe me, you'll regret it. Buy good brand names – which will cost about double the cheapo ones BTW.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Im not a plumber but………..’ is closed to new replies.