• This topic has 24 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by richc.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • I'm no good at DIY
  • thered

The wife wants new curtains and they’ll be substantially heavier than the current curtains, is it a simple matter of longer, fatter screws to ensure the looooooonnng curtain pole stays up?

Ta

ThePinkster

Probably. Depends on what you’re screwing into and whether the screws are going in vertically or horizontally too.

Olly
    Free Member

Bigger rawl plugs. if you use bigger ones, you can also drill out the existing holes bigger, cleaning them up. I wouldnt just chuck longer screws in, as they will most likely hit the bottom of the hole and just push out the plug and rail (and plaster).
    If you are in the market for some rawlplugs, get some optimal screws at the same time. (screw size is listed on the rawl plug packet)

The fattest rawl plugs (8mm – 10mm jobbys) are listed as for things like radiators, so i doubt a curtain will be too much trouble for them.

thered

I’m drilling into brick, I have no idea what type of brick it is however and the screws are going in horizontally.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

And make sure the curtain rails / poles are not going to sag

just5minutes
    Free Member

drill bigger holes and if the rawplugs won’t hold the weight just glue the screws in place with this stuff – takes an awesome amount of weight before shifting

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-polyester-resin-175ml/53359

bearnecessities

I never thought the day would come that I would contribute to a DIY thread.

Fischer for wall plugs, but if you’re going into brick you’ll be ‘reet with any crap (probably)

If the curtains are heavy, a pole of sufficient diameter is more important, if a wooden pole. Googling is your friend there. Some come with joins in the middle which will support better (personally don’t like them though and neither might your wife).

If it’s a metal pole, I have nothing to add.

Merak
    Sundayjumper

If you end up needing to drill into the lintel you’ll need a BFO drill. A little cordless will get you nowhere. I’ve learnt this the messy way.

thered

Thanks all

Stevet1
    Free Member

what I love most about drilling into brickwork is when you’re pressing on the back of the drill whilst stood on the last rung of the ladder and trying to keep the whole shebang square on to your markings and the drill suddenly finds the mortar join between two bricks and all of a sudden you’ve got a massive hole which doesn’t hold anything so you shove half a pack of matchsticks in there to hold the plug in place and hope the rest of the screws go in okay.

scruff
    Free Member

I can bring the dog round if you want a curtain-fixing strength test.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Cheap plugs are a false economy.

Go to Screwfix or Toolstation, buy some Fischer ones, some decent screws and a good quality masonry drill. If you go to Homebase or BandQ you will probably pay 3 times as much, absolute rip off.

I would be careful about drilling out the old holes, you may end up with large holes in the wrong place, it may be better to relocate the fixings slightly and start fresh.

johndoh
    Free Member

I would consider fixing a wooden baton to the wall and then screwing the pole into the wood.

mrjmt
    Free Member

what I love most about drilling into brickwork is when you’re pressing on the back of the drill whilst stood on the last rung of the ladder and trying to keep the whole shebang square on to your markings and the drill suddenly finds the mortar join between two bricks and all of a sudden you’ve got a massive hole which doesn’t hold anything so you shove half a pack of matchsticks in there to hold the plug in place and hope the rest of the screws go in okay.

😆

stumpy01

johndoh – Member

I would consider fixing a wooden baton to the wall and then screwing the pole into the wood.

This is what I generally do.
    And if the curtain poles are long, get one with a central support too.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

And also for what it’s worth – make sure you use rawl-plugs that sit flush in the hole, if you get ones that the outer lip/flange sit proud of the wall then the pole brackets will not be flat against the wall.

muddy9mtb

or steel! as in the dam lintel that some 1970’s wacjob decided to use around all the windows..grrr

globalti
    Free Member

I ALWAYS screw a batten to the wall then fix the curtain pole brackets to that. It makes the job so much easier and more secure. Trying to drill two or three holes accurately in a small pattern for the brackets will never go right. If you must do it that way, drill small pilot holes first then enlarge with the correct drill for the plugs.

johndoh
    Free Member

I ALWAYS screw a batten to the wall then fix the curtain pole brackets to that.

Yeah and it’s generally what happens in any half-decently built new build too.

globalti
    Free Member

A batten spreads the load as well.

freeagent
    Free Member

Cheap plugs are a false economy.

Go to Screwfix or Toolstation, buy some Fischer ones, some decent screws and a good quality masonry drill. If you go to Homebase or BandQ you will probably pay 3 times as much, absolute rip off.

I would be careful about drilling out the old holes, you may end up with large holes in the wrong place, it may be better to relocate the fixings slightly and start fresh.

Whilst I agree about cheap plugs being crap – in my experience I’d say the quality of the hole is as important.
    Too small and you’ll muller the plug when you tap it in, too big and it won’t grip properly.
    make sure you pair up the right sized drill, and right sized screw for your chosen plug.
    (ex-kitchen fitter here)

Cougar

Out of interest,

How did people do stuff like this back in the days before the widespread use of plastics (and thus, Rawlplugs)? Anyone know?

bearnecessities

I believe it’s probably the wooden wedges bewteen brickwork scattered throughout houses of a certain age, and load-bearing in my case 🙂

richc
    Free Member

wooden wedges, all the skirting and picture rail in my house had it fitted before I removed it.

Must have been a complete PITA

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘I'm no good at DIY’ is closed to new replies.