Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • I'm new to the dark side – Talk to me
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

I have those Clarks pads on my Crit bike – used them in the wet last night for the first time and they’re excellent.

I got them from CRC (or possibly Wiggle) and they came with 4 spare inserts and a pair of free gear cable inners.

rootes1

Swissstop = best pads.

only downside for me for road riding is cars/other traffic… but then it makes mtb better as it is so nice not to have cars etc

stufive
    Free Member

Learn to hate the wind..and it always blows at you or across you…

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Still in two minds myself. Do I spend £1000 on a new Mtb or a Road bike. Bearing in mind I now live 5 mins away from some decent Mtb trails. Only thing that puts me off is anti cycling car drivers and getting abuse as I don’t take too kindly to shit driving.

Rosss
    Free Member

Can anyone reccomend me a nice jersey, shorts and helmet? Don’t want to spend too much

crazy-legs

Can anyone reccomend me a nice jersey, shorts and helmet? Don’t want to spend too much

dhb (Wiggle’s own brand) seems good.
    Otherwise Endura is my go-to brand for good quality, reasonably priced kit (both road and MTB).

And re the not-spending-too-much bit – get the best pair of shorts you can afford. Your tender bits will thank you for it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    Just remember
    it never gets easier you just go faster

This.

Also, slam your stem, shave your legs and stick to mountain biking if you’ve got a bit of a belly. There’s far too many people ruining the image of road cycling at the moment.

Rosss – Member

Team Sky kit looks the business

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You’ll need a spare pair of socks.

For your shorts.

PiknMix
    Free Member

stick to mountain biking if you’ve got a bit of a belly. There’s far too many people ruining the image of road cycling at the moment.

What a cock thing to say 🙄

riderideride
    Free Member

Welcome to The suffering

IanW
    Free Member

[quoteThe most important thing to bear in mind, at all times, no matter what, is to look cool.
    [/quote]

not sure whats beens said before or after but this..

mindmap3
    Free Member

With regards to clothing I have some DHB shirts an tights and they seem pretty comfy for the money. Quality is ok given the price too. Also check out Start Cycles for heavily discounted Scott clothing which seems to be really good.

I’ve got an Altura Classic jersey which I think is nice for the money.

Some of the high end road stuff is lovely but mega expensive.

Bregante

+1 on DHB stuff. Great quality, reasonable price.

Rosss
    Free Member

I’m not even looking at high end gear, I’m a mountain biker at heart and have only plunged into the roadie world because I got the bike cheap and I’d like to improve fitness. I’ll look at DHB stuff now.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Strava’s great for road biking, if nothing else but to track your improvement. Very motivating. I’ve worked on road bike climbing on a local hill and it’s been great watching my times improve. I’m now fitter than I’ve ever been and Strava has been a big factor in that.

http://tinypic.com/r/3507wvs/5

downshep

Tyre levers, road tyres are too tight for thumbs.
    A pump that pumps to over 100psi, even if it can be seen when carried.

garage-dweller

Personally I don’t especially buy in to the ride so hard it hurts all the time mentality but equally I dont want to be a wuss about it either!

Somewhere in the middle is a world of fun.

I used to TT years ago but have only really rediscovered the road recently. Not fully back into the rhytm of it yet but it is getting better even riding solo.

I have a belly, a seatpack, a frame mounted tiny pump and for my commute I stuff other things in a camelback/small rucksack. Water always on the frame and i seem to use loads less than on the mtb.

Still havent got the fit right. Struggling a bit because i think the frame is a shade small.

Edit: of course I may be a cycle tourist on skinny tyres whose lost his mudguards and rack.

BlobOnAStick

There are two steps:
    1) “are my eyes bleeding with the effort?” No? Pedal harder.
    2) repeat 1

hitman
    Free Member

It’s really hard – even the endurance days!
    I take a minipump, multi tool, a tyre lever, spare tubes, puncutre repair kit, chain link, water bottles, credit card and money
    Also saddle bag for batteries for dinotte rear light and exposure strada on flashing mode during the day, constant at night

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘I'm new to the dark side – Talk to me’ is closed to new replies.