Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I'm looking to hire an old VW camper van – suggestions?
  • mtbeatle
    Free Member

Hi,

I am based in Aberdeenshire and am looking to hire an old VW campervan for a week.

The comppanies I’ve tried are

Deeside classic campers – no availability in August
    Bayview Campers – a possibility
    Happy highland campers – a possibility
    Moray firth campers – a possibility

Does anyone have any other ideas. The camper must be suitable for 2 adulats and a 1 and 3 year old.

It would needs to be located in Aberdeenshire or the Highlands

Many Thanks

Craig

nickjb
    Free Member

Can’t really help up there but we hired one in Pembrokeshire last weekend. Great fun but boy was it an effort to drive. Heavy steering, sloppy gearbox, awful handling and brakes and so slooow. It did bring a smile to the face though.

Moses

Don’t.
    Or at least not an old VW if you’re intending to sleep four of you.
    Why not get something a bit bigger, more modern & more comfortable?
    For the cost of a week’s hire you could probably buy a cheap converted Trannie and junk it at the end of the summer

Jenko
    Free Member

I used HappyHighlandCampers a few years ago. The company has changed hands since then, but they still use the same vans and the same business model. We had ‘Blanche’ for a week and had a great time. Thoroughly recommended.

bainbrge

Jenko me too – wife and I hired Blanche one year. Gearbox was iffy as was handbrake! Super time was had by all.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

As much as I love my classic VW camper, I just can’t see how it would be comfortable or practical with a family. Even with a pop top. Especially a young family as there is so little space in them.

That and the issues with seat belts etc for child seats and the like. A friend had one and his words were along the lines of ‘I love it but I value the lives of my family more’…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘I'm looking to hire an old VW camper van – suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.